Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

861 - 880 of 963 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
I notice on the specs for the 2021 version of Fuel EX, tyre width is either back to 2.4, or at least an option from the 2.6 which was stock standard in 2020. Any feedback on this development wuld be appreciated.
2.6 front, 2.4 rear

·
Registered
16 Posts
A 203mm rotor will not fit on the rear, but it can fit in the front. Frankly, unless you are a downhill rider, that is also overkill. Upgrading your brake caliper and lever is going to make the biggest difference vs rotor size.
Just wanted to circle back on this. I got off a chat with Luke from customer service with trek yesterday and I asked this same question about 200mm rotors, not 203mm rotors. He (Luke) said that 203mm is the max rotor size for the frame (2020 Fuel EX AL).

His source material shows that the rear is 180mm direct post mount with no adapters, but the use of post mount adapters for 200mm or 203mm will allow the fitment of rotors up to 203mm.

I don't have a picture, as it was late when I completed it, but I've got 200mm (8" pie plates) front and rear with zero indication of clearance issues. Overkill or not, I'm a fattie and I wanted them. Also, the stock shimano mt400 series brakes on the fuel ex 7 just felt bad after I demoed a few other bikes, so it was time to upgrade anyway.

Another note: The hardest part of running the new brake hose was inside the rear chainstay. Control freak in the main triangle wasn't awful.

·
Community Manager at Trek
417 Posts
Just wanted to circle back on this. I got off a chat with Luke from customer service with trek yesterday and I asked this same question about 200mm rotors, not 203mm rotors. He (Luke) said that 203mm is the max rotor size for the frame (2020 Fuel EX AL).

His source material shows that the rear is 180mm direct post mount with no adapters, but the use of post mount adapters for 200mm or 203mm will allow the fitment of rotors up to 203mm.

I don't have a picture, as it was late when I completed it, but I've got 200mm (8" pie plates) front and rear with zero indication of clearance issues. Overkill or not, I'm a fattie and I wanted them. Also, the stock shimano mt400 series brakes on the fuel ex 7 just felt bad after I demoed a few other bikes, so it was time to upgrade anyway.

Another note: The hardest part of running the new brake hose was inside the rear chainstay. Control freak in the main triangle wasn't awful.
Good to know! Originally our info pointed to it not being compatible, but things change as the model is out there for a longer period of time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
After a long wait of frameset and components arrive, finally made it to hit the trail. The best thing of building a MTB from frameset is ability to chose every part on the bike. I went with new 2020 FOX 36 F-Sand Shimano XT 12s drivetrain and M-8020 brake. the rest cockpit components went Race Face. DHF 2.6 in front, DHR 2.3 in rear (no specific reason, just the only tire on my hand). With e*thirteen TRS+ chain guide on my 18.5 M/L frameset, the total weight is about 14.5 kg, not bad for a trail bike (considering with bigger fork and extra parts). The chain is almost lay on the train stay when shift to smallest cog with 30T chainring. Not being an issue though, but I might go 32T or 34T in the future. Overall it's an awesome trail bike and I love it a lot.

Gotcha bro!

·
Registered
601 Posts
After a long wait of frameset and components arrive, finally made it to hit the trail. The best thing of building a MTB from frameset is ability to chose every part on the bike. I went with new 2020 FOX 36 F-Sand Shimano XT 12s drivetrain and M-8020 brake. the rest cockpit components went Race Face. DHF 2.6 in front, DHR 2.3 in rear (no specific reason, just the only tire on my hand). With e*thirteen TRS+ chain guide on my 18.5 M/L frameset, the total weight is about 14.5 kg, not bad for a trail bike (considering with bigger fork and extra parts). The chain is almost lay on the train stay when shift to smallest cog with 30T chainring. Not being an issue though, but I might go 32T or 34T in the future. Overall it's an awesome trail bike and I love it a lot.

WOW! It's a beautiful bike!!! I like it a lot! :thumbsup:
Can you tell your height and inseam?
The fork looks great too! where did you get the fork decals?
Mo

·
Registered
95 Posts
Dumb question because I'm not at home and able to just go check for myself.

Does anyone know if these bike have a split (read: easy to move around) crown race? Or is it pressed on?

I ordered a new fork and am wondering if I should order a new crown race for ease of install later (I'm keeping the old fork for a backup if I need one in the future)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dumb question because I'm not at home and able to just go check for myself.

Does anyone know if these bike have a split (read: easy to move around) crown race? Or is it pressed on?

I ordered a new fork and am wondering if I should order a new crown race for ease of install later (I'm keeping the old fork for a backup if I need one in the future)

I just had my fork off yesterday on an ex 7. On that model, it is a pressed on crown race.

·
417 Posts
MY20/21 FEX Carbon diagram

Hello Mitch,
could you please also post the Parts Quick Reference of the carbon version of the Fuel Ex MY20.

Thanks in advance!
You bet! Here you are:

Attachments

·
417 Posts
Have any of them with headset parts and/or bearing sizes?
Nope, but the part numbers are listed so you can tell your LBS what to order.

Headset bearings are fairly simple though, 1-1/2" lower and a 1-1/8" upper. We use the FSA MR127 and MR122 bearings from the factory.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
OE trek bearings are pretty nice. higher end Angular Contact TH Industries (FSA) ended up using them over the enduro bearings that came with a Wolftooth headset. get the OEM if you can.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nope, but the part numbers are listed so you can tell your LBS what to order.

Headset bearings are fairly simple though, 1-1/2" lower and a 1-1/8" upper. We use the FSA MR127 and MR122 bearings from the factory.

Thanks. I actually went out to the trek store because I was hoping to ride tomorrow.

Was a painful process.

I expected to say, "hey, I need this lower headset bearing for the bike I bought from you last year, here's the old lumpy one."

Instead I left about 30 or 40 minutes later empty handed after watching the dude (who's actually fairly helpful usually) struggle with the computer to find the right part number. Only to find out he didn't have any 1.5 inch bearings anyway.

I usually find it to be easier for both them and I if I can go with a part number already found.

861 - 880 of 963 Posts