Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
that guy
895 Posts
I'm demoing an aluminum 2019 build on Wednesday. If I like it, I'll likely go with a 2020 carbon model unless they offer me a really sick closeout deal on one of their 2019 carbon builds.

Pretty excited about this bike, so I really hope it lives up to the hype during my demo.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Why cant they give us an aluminum build in 29 with a decent component spec? I want to buy a Trance 29, but they are making it really hard. I don't want carbon.

And why would you ever lace a dt 370 hub to a carbon rim? The 350 is about the same price and vastly superior.

And seriously, no shimano 12 speed options for 2020?

Two thumbs down.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Why cant they give us an aluminum build in 29 with a decent component spec? I want to buy a Trance 29, but they are making it really hard. I don't want carbon.

And why would you ever lace a dt 370 hub to a carbon rim? The 350 is about the same price and vastly superior.

And seriously, no shimano 12 speed options for 2020?

Two thumbs down.
Your wish has been granted.....

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-29-2-2020

This seems like a really solid value and is definitely high on my list of next bike purchase.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just picked up the same bike as above, 2020 Trance 2 29! Went with a size large for my 6' and it feels great with hardly any adjustments so far. With all reflectors and my old Deity compound pedals it weighed in at 30.14 pounds at the shop.

Still working on suspension setup as I've only had it a few days but everything feels really good so far, though of course it's a brand new bike and I'm coming from a '14 Fuel EX 7 with 3x9 and no dropper post. Will be replacing the grips very soon though.

Was kind of curious to see it didn't come with a downtube protector though - does anyone know if I can buy the one that comes stock on the Advanced Pro 29 models?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Was kind of curious to see it didn't come with a downtube protector though - does anyone know if I can buy the one that comes stock on the Advanced Pro 29 models?
Not quite what you're after, but a nice bit of bling.
https://www.rockguardz.com/rockguardz/giant/trance-x29/trance-advanced-carbon-x-2019.html

I've got a second wheel set for XC duties, unfortunately the shifting is a little off when I swap the wheels over. Not sure if this is normal, or if it's because I just didn't install the cassette to 40Nm? (GX 12 Speed if that makes a difference).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just picked up my trance 29 2 2020 in small this week. Love it! I'm new to mtb, I mostly ride road, this is my first full sus. One thing I noticed was that I wasn't able to get the same kind of leg extension when pedalling compared to road. I have the seat height up as high as I can get it whilst still being able to touch the floor on tip toes. At the bottom of my pedal stroke my knees are more bent than id like though. Is that normal on mtb or is this a bike sizing / geometry issue?

I was thinking it's probably something to do with a mixture of being a smaller rider (168cm), the small size frame and 29ers having a higher bb to accomodate the wheel size? Perhaps a 27.5 would have been better in this regard?

Anything I can try to improve it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is your seat in the correct horizontal offset from pedals to suit your size? Plenty of You Tube videos to show how knee position should relate to pedal axle when horizontal. If the seat needs to slide rearwards it will give a little more extension. Of course that will affect the reach, but a shorter stem could be fitted.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Just picked up my trance 29 2 2020 in small this week. Love it! I'm new to mtb, I mostly ride road, this is my first full sus. One thing I noticed was that I wasn't able to get the same kind of leg extension when pedalling compared to road. I have the seat height up as high as I can get it whilst still being able to touch the floor on tip toes. At the bottom of my pedal stroke my knees are more bent than id like though. Is that normal on mtb or is this a bike sizing / geometry issue?

I was thinking it's probably something to do with a mixture of being a smaller rider (168cm), the small size frame and 29ers having a higher bb to accomodate the wheel size? Perhaps a 27.5 would have been better in this regard?

Anything I can try to improve it?
This is simply because the BB height is higher than what you're used to. The BB drop (how far the down frame/BB sits in relation to the center axis of the wheels) is actually greater on 29ers than smaller wheeled bikes. The Trance has a very reasonable BB height (i.e., NOT high) compared to other full suspension bikes. Make sure you are running enough sag in the suspension, which should be around 25% of the available travel. Regardless, you shouldn't expect to be able to sit in the saddle and touch your toes on the ground, if your saddle height is correct. Maybe on a road bike, but not a mountain bike. If you need to put a foot down while seated, lean the bike over to the side. Or, side forward off the saddle and just put your feet down.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.