Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1361 - 1380 of 1405 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Will this work on a TF without changing to a Chris King headset?

1-1/8" BASEPLATE | Tall +5mm

Nope, and you can’t switch to a Chris King because it’s an integrated headset, plus it’s a 1.5” lower bearing. Are you trying to slack it out some, or get more fork clearance?

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,366
Anybody know the correct RWC needle bearing for the top of the rear shock? I know it's in this thread somewhere, but I've struck out twice.....

This one? RWC Shock NB Kit, 40mm

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Anybody know the correct RWC needle bearing for the top of the rear shock? I know it's in this thread somewhere, but I've struck out twice.....

This one? RWC Shock NB Kit, 40mm

Thanks!
That’s the one. My email from them claims part #NBKRWC40GD with the last two letters being the color.

Have you guys set these up yet? I did this on my 2011 9.9 SSL frame, and it did make things more sensitive which was good, but the other issue was that there was some lash that could be felt when the bike was picked up. Just a very small amount of play in the needle bearing/bushing that would make a small 'thunk' if you will. I don't recall feeling it while riding. Just when moving the bike.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Have you guys set these up yet? I did this on my 2011 9.9 SSL frame, and it did make things more sensitive which was good, but the other issue was that there was some lash that could be felt when the bike was picked up. Just a very small amount of play in the needle bearing/bushing that would make a small 'thunk' if you will. I don't recall feeling it while riding. Just when moving the bike.
Mine came with 3 axles of increasing diameter. The smallest one behaved like you describe, but the middle one didn’t, and was still nice and smooth.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Mine came with 3 axles of increasing diameter. The smallest one behaved like you describe, but the middle one didn’t, but was still nice and smooth.
Nice! I wonder if he (Chris I think?) started offering different axles to solve this. I remember people complaining quite a bit and giving the dude a hard time about it. Thanks Juanspeeder, I'll look into these again.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,372
Mine should arrive today or Monday, and I'll report back on this.

Mine came with 3 axles of increasing diameter. The smallest one behaved like you describe, but the middle one didn’t, but was still nice and smooth.
Hoping mine comes with the different diameter axles!

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,374
Received the RWC needle bearing kit, complete with three axles. Found an installation video that made it easy.

The middle axle fit perfectly. Now I need some dirt trails or a road trip to try it out (still winter here).

Link to installation video:

No talking! No bad music!

I also received a metal "axle" that I didn't seem to need: ~ 8 mm o.d., 6 mm i.d., and 40 mm long. Probably for bikes that use a smaller shock bolt than the Top Fuel?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have my endura needle bearing kit on the bike for a couple off rides and again wow what a difference 😃. This is the no 1 upgrade 👍

·
Slowohioboy
140 Posts
I ordered the pivot bearing kit last night, seems like a logical upgrade. Can’t wait to give it a try and see if I notice any difference

·
Registered
377 Posts
Sorry of this has been asked but cant find answer other than TREK website. Does anyone know ACTUAL weight of TF - GX (Black M/L)? stock, no pedals for comparison purposes? Trying to see how much of a diet I'd need to put it on to match current ride. Thanks for your help.

1361 - 1380 of 1405 Posts