Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1341 - 1360 of 1407 Posts

·
Community Manager at Trek
448 Posts
What do you think @[email protected] ? I have already tried to change the cable tension ... shouldn't sidluxe ultimate have a total lockout?
I was thinking about this for a bit with my experience riding a lot of different lockout shocks. Most offer a little play when compressing in my experience, but I'd suggest checking your rebound and air pressure.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,343
Anyone removed the remote lockout? And which rear shox are you running then?
I put a standard 3-position DPS shock on mine. Since clearance issues require that it be mounted upside down, the lever is a bit of a PITA to reach, but I really enjoy having the middle setting. It's a bit firmer than the standard 2-position shock's open setting, while it's open position is a bit softer than that.

If I were still racing, or decide to jump back in, I'd go back to the dual remote immediately.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oke and did the rear shox (performance elite) got changed to just the 3 position without the adjuster of the factory shox ( in open mode 3 pos finetuning) i am wondering if i need that is just 3 position (open / med / firm)?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
i wouldnt be so sure that is the cause of the creaking
For me it is absolutely a source of creaking. In fact, it sounds liked a cracked frame each time it loosened. But I tightened it for 3 weeks on rides before moving and replacing with Loctite. What they used form the factory is a weird foam substance that does not hold.

For the most part, this bike is extremely silent other than three main points (especially compared to the previous generation Top fuel. Each time something starts making noise, it seems to be the same pesky things.

1. The lower pivot bolt (SOUNDS LIKE A CRACKED FRAME) comes out on most bikes when new. Trek should offer a TSB and have all bike shops remove and replace the bolt with proper threadlock. Your average Joe does not know how to do this and is likely to ride the bike until it falls out.
2. The rocker bolt loosens over time. (annoying faint creak/pop under pedaling loads and some braking) Mine comes loose about every few months. It doesn't back out, but it becomes about 1/2-1 turn out form 16 nm. Then it requires new Loctite from my experience. It manifested again last Friday and took me a week to really figure out the source which I fixed last night (again). I had cleaned the Rocker after a muddy race in December and didn't do the best job of letting the Loctite set before torqueing to spec
3. Shock squeak under pedaling (sounds like a rubber squeak because that's what it is) You think its coming from the bushing but it is in fact the seals. especially if you run open bottles with carb mix, this seems to be more a problem over time. FIX: service your shock with a 20 dollar seal kit. almost anyone can do this if they dive in. you may need a cheap strap wrench and possibly something that can act as a vice. A cheap set of picks may help..
4*. Bottle cage rattle. Cage Bosses were not properly tightened form the factory. Its an issue if you ride rocky terrain and run large bottles. You can fix this yourself with a long m5 bolt and an M6 flange nut!

·
Registered
1 Posts
New(ish) Top Fuel 9.8 GX owner just checking in, having changed from a Yeti SB95C I looked at a range of bikes including the Epic Evo Comp, Ibis Ripley, Trek Fuel EX and Scott Spark. Ibis was the 1st pick but is a 10k (aus) bike which was out of stock anyway, so the Top Fuel it is.
Still playing around with setting it up, fork isn't as plush as I would like with 30% sag, but pretty happy with the rest of the bike. Ended up with the M/L and at 177cm fits really well. GX drivetrain is reasonable, not quite the XX1 I had on the previous bike but the bail out gear is a welcome addition.
Top Fuel 9.8 GX.PNG

The forum has been a great source of information, looking forward to putting more km's on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Update on my needle bearing upgrade for the rear shox. Wow what a big difference, it almost feels like another shox. Much more plush and better small bump response. And i put a reverse components angle spacer on the front of the bike so it has 130mm axle to crown with a 120mm fork as an experiment. And also another big difference. - 0.5° Angle Spacer for Tapered Forks | Reverse Components

if you want to experiment with a slacker bike for a really cheap price 👍

1341 - 1360 of 1407 Posts