Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1321 - 1340 of 1362 Posts

·
Community Manager at Trek
414 Posts
Hey gang, last week my shock lost all its air during a ride. I've had similar things happen with forks and anda air spring service was all I needed. What are the chances this is the same situation? Also, can anyone point me to a rebuild kit. Fortunately it's my off season so I've got the time and don't need the bike. Thanks in advance.
Service is definitely needed. What is your shock or bike year/model?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone had a squeak coming from the rear shock/suspension? Happens after about 30 mins use in cold weather or almost instantly when its warm?

Also, i have noticed that the main rocker bearings have different offsets on the drive side and non-drive side, is this normal as to me as an engineer this would point towards the frame being out of line? See photos attached. First image is the pivot in question, second is the non-drive side and third drive side.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
The squeak is remedied by doing a shock service. You can do this at home with a set of pics, strap wrench and maybe a vice along with the 25 dollar service kit.

I imagine there was a bad batch from Fox or the shocks aged, seal gets dry at some point.

This up and down squeak drove me crazy on the road. I would pour half my water on it trying to get it to go away in the summer.

A little slick honey kn the stanchion helps for a while as a short term remedy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,325
The squeak is remedied by doing a shock service. You can do this at home with a set of pics, strap wrench and maybe a vice along with the 25 dollar service kit.
Truth. I chased a "pivot squeak" on my TF for several weeks. Disassemble. Clean. Light grease. Spray lube during a moment of frustration........and it was the shock!

I've had pretty good luck unscrewing the air can by hand, though they often need a little light heat from a blow dryer the first time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is there anyone on here from Trek that can comment on my other question regarding the spacings on either side of the rocker and whether or not this would be considered "within tolerance"?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Has anyone had a squeak coming from the rear shock/suspension? Happens after about 30 mins use in cold weather or almost instantly when its warm?

Also, i have noticed that the main rocker bearings have different offsets on the drive side and non-drive side, is this normal as to me as an engineer this would point towards the frame being out of line? See photos attached. First image is the pivot in question, second is the non-drive side and third drive side.
View attachment 1911246 View attachment 1911247 View attachment 1911248
Looks like the drive side bearing is not fully inserted to bearing bore? Bearings in my frame are fully seated to the frame, so that the outer face of the bearings are parallel to the carbon frame.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello i have a 2020 9.8 gx bike. Thinking of upgrading the fork. Or a 34 fit 4 130mm or a pike ultimate 130mm. What do you all think about this?

dennis

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, i have a 2020 TopFuel 8, can i fit the SIDLuxe of 9.8 my2021 on my bike ?
Does this upgrade involve any other change or is it plug and play ?
I would like to replace my OEM Fox float dps because i've installed a new Sid Select 35*120 fork.

Thanks in advance
R.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone - just thought I would say greetings - some really useful information in this thread, and I wanted to say thanks for sharing it - can be so hard to get detailed tech info on these bikes!

Here's my TF 9.7, running full XX1, XT 4 piston Trail brakes, Industry 9 wheels with Vittoria Mazza Trail tyres, Renthal Stealth carbon DH bars, carbon Fabric Spoon etc., all set up in a #downcountry style weighing in at a solid 29lbs, suiting my riding preference for agressive, steep, fast and techy - which in the UK in generally muddy!!!

Plan next is to try and get some SID 35's to stiffen up the front end - but sadly, I think a Transition Spur may well be calling me for July this year!!!

All thanks to my LBS Chasing Tails Repairs who keeps both my TF and Remedy in tip top shredding condition!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do you think it is normal that after a few months of use and 1000 km the lockout for the rear shox (sidluxe ultimate) of my '21 top fuel 9.8XT, is no longer a "total lock" like it was at the beginning but makes the suspension just very firm? It get some small movement if I use my weight to compress it... Is this normal with use or do you think it is a defect?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do you think it is normal that after a few months of use and 1000 km the lockout for the rear shox (sidluxe ultimate) of my '21 top fuel 9.8XT, is no longer a "total block" like it was at the beginning but makes the suspension just very firm? It get some small movement if I use my weight to compress it... Is this normal with use or do you think it is a defect?
Maybe, a cable from lockout lever has stretch a little or it slipped in lockout pulley on shock.
I have fox dps on mine and its very sensitive with cable tension.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Or it just needs a bit more pressure. I run mine with far less than recommended pressures as I like a very supple platform - I still get 30% sag - but it means I don’t get full solid lockout. Instead, it’s firmer - but that’s fine for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry I forgot to write that I've already checked cable tension and tried chainging it (little less, little more) but nothing changed...
Thanks for the answers BTW :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do you think it is normal that after a few months of use and 1000 km the lockout for the rear shox (sidluxe ultimate) of my '21 top fuel 9.8XT, is no longer a "total block" like it was at the beginning but makes the suspension just very firm? It get some small movement if I use my weight to compress it... Is this normal with use or do you think it is a defect?
Yes, that is normal as the cable starts to stretch out a bit. My dealer actually put a barrel adjuster on mine so I could tighten it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
it has never been a complete lockout for me and i was told that was normal. i however have the fox.

·
Registered
611 Posts
My Fox DPS locks out completely. I installed a barrel adjuster when I built the bike. I can’t see how you could set it up properly without one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
What do you think @[email protected] ? I have already tried to change the cable tension ... shouldn't sidluxe ultimate have a total lockout?

1321 - 1340 of 1362 Posts