Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

221 - 240 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
I’m in central va and currently on a v2 Ripley and looking to get into a new ride. Almost ordered a sb130 last week but held off...I looked at pivot a few years back and the janky cable routing under the bottom bracket turned me off...I see that’s gone now:)!!

So, I’m 6’1” about 250-260. Ride xl Ripley (ibis seems to run small). I hear pivots are stiff and strong...thinking that would be good for my size? Also does super boost help with stiffness in the rear? I can feel my rear end flex during hard cornering on my Ripley. No place in richmond area has anything to demo that I can find. I’m thinking a large? Yeti sb130 would of been a large. The new SB does look quite good as does their build packages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm 6'1" 215# kitted and ride a Large SB Race XT. Sizing feels great and absolutely stiffer than my old bike, a 2015 Devinci Troy.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
A friend of mine is looking for a medium Pro/XT/XTR build.

Anyone know of any in stock somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
A friend of mine is looking for a medium Pro/XT/XTR build.

Anyone know of any in stock somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm wondering the same. I've had mine on order with the LBS since September (and was told 1 - 2 months at the time). I'm still without the bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m in central va and currently on a v2 Ripley and looking to get into a new ride. Almost ordered a sb130 last week but held off...I looked at pivot a few years back and the janky cable routing under the bottom bracket turned me off...I see that’s gone now:)!!

So, I’m 6’1” about 250-260. Ride xl Ripley (ibis seems to run small). I hear pivots are stiff and strong...thinking that would be good for my size? Also does super boost help with stiffness in the rear? I can feel my rear end flex during hard cornering on my Ripley. No place in richmond area has anything to demo that I can find. I’m thinking a large? Yeti sb130 would of been a large. The new SB does look quite good as does their build packages

GTSUM2 - I rode O-Hill yesterday since it's in my backyard and I had 6 PRs on Strava and I wasn't trying. I was just out riding to see if I liked the Switchblade enough to buy it. I did. I won't be buying it for its climbing prowess though. It does well on the climbs but I wasn't wowed by it. I think that's because I'm coming off a lighter bike that climbed quite well on smooth singletrack and gravel roads. The SB is fine on smooth stuff and gravel roads but I didn't feel like I was crushing things.

HOWEVER, I did just get a COVID test this morning because I'm feeling pretty crappy, have a cough and headache. On the other hand, I had 6 PR's yesterday and 5 of them were on climbs. So, maybe the Pivot is a pretty good climber on smoother trails and gravel but I think what I noticed most of all was how well I could simply keep a smooth pedaling motion going in the steep, rougher, rockier and rooty terrain that makes of the most of the trails on O-Hill.

Regarding the Super Boost rear end, at 210 I do notice some flex on my 2008 26" Santa Cruz Blur LT. It's not bad or maybe I'm used to it. I also seem to recall that the way Santa Cruz suspensions are designed there is some natural flex in the frame. I don't notice any flexing on the Switchblade in the corners or on nasty, steep chundery 12% descents.

I think what sold me on the bike yesterday is that I had fun going down the steep leaf covered, chundery 12% descent yesterday that drops off the top of the hill and was laughing to myself on the way down as I half jumped half floated down the trail. It was by no means an ultra plush magic carpet ride that my friends on the new Spesh Enduros rave about on the same trails at O-Hill. The bike was getting pushed around as I was slamming into rocks and small 6-12" drops but I felt in control as I was flying at about 16 mph downhill. That may not be that fast in the grand scheme of things but it felt fast AF to me.

So, no, there is no noticeable flex that I can discern even some pretty gnarly terrain. Hope that helps!

I don't think anyone in VA has an XL to demo unfortunately but I feel like the size L at 5'10" is perfect and would not go smaller. If you can find an Enduro in an S5 size to test you should. It may be too much for Richmond's trails though. I think you can get away with it in Charlottesville because O-Hill is so rocky and steep.

Cheers,

Sean

·
Registered
9 Posts
BlueRidge, I am very close to you in weight. I’m just slightly heavier. I run 25 psi front and rear tires on my Switchblade. I may try 24 psi soon. As far as suspension set up goes I’m at 109 psi front and 240 in the rear. I do have the fox factory though. 300 has to be way to much in the rear.
Yesterday I ran 22 up front and 24 in the rear. This demo has 2.6 Specialized Butcher Grids on the front and 2.6 Control Grids on the rear. I've never ridded the stock Maxxis tires on any bike so I don't know if these Specialized tires are better or worse. I have no reference point. Also it's hard to give a good review of them since this is my first 29'er, my first time riding big tires and my first time on a Switchblade.

That being said, I do feel I can corner quickly given the slick nature of the trails at this time. Lots of leaves still on the trails and lower spots are damp due to freeze thaw. Trying to stay high on the mountain where it's rocky and dry. They do seem to climb over rocks well and feel better at lower pressure.

·
Registered
322 Posts
GTSUM2 - I rode O-Hill yesterday since it's in my backyard and I had 6 PRs on Strava and I wasn't trying. I was just out riding to see if I liked the Switchblade enough to buy it. I did. I won't be buying it for its climbing prowess though. It does well on the climbs but I wasn't wowed by it. I think that's because I'm coming off a lighter bike that climbed quite well on smooth singletrack and gravel roads. The SB is fine on smooth stuff and gravel roads but I didn't feel like I was crushing things.

HOWEVER, I did just get a COVID test this morning because I'm feeling pretty crappy, have a cough and headache. On the other hand, I had 6 PR's yesterday and 5 of them were on climbs. So, maybe the Pivot is a pretty good climber on smoother trails and gravel but I think what I noticed most of all was how well I could simply keep a smooth pedaling motion going in the steep, rougher, rockier and rooty terrain that makes of the most of the trails on O-Hill.

Regarding the Super Boost rear end, at 210 I do notice some flex on my 2008 26" Santa Cruz Blur LT. It's not bad or maybe I'm used to it. I also seem to recall that the way Santa Cruz suspensions are designed there is some natural flex in the frame. I don't notice any flexing on the Switchblade in the corners or on nasty, steep chundery 12% descents.

I think what sold me on the bike yesterday is that I had fun going down the steep leaf covered, chundery 12% descent yesterday that drops off the top of the hill and was laughing to myself on the way down as I half jumped half floated down the trail. It was by no means an ultra plush magic carpet ride that my friends on the new Spesh Enduros rave about on the same trails at O-Hill. The bike was getting pushed around as I was slamming into rocks and small 6-12" drops but I felt in control as I was flying at about 16 mph downhill. That may not be that fast in the grand scheme of things but it felt fast AF to me.

So, no, there is no noticeable flex that I can discern even some pretty gnarly terrain. Hope that helps!

I don't think anyone in VA has an XL to demo unfortunately but I feel like the size L at 5'10" is perfect and would not go smaller. If you can find an Enduro in an S5 size to test you should. It may be too much for Richmond's trails though. I think you can get away with it in Charlottesville because O-Hill is so rocky and steep.

Cheers,

Sean
Wow, lots of great info. Thanks man! I never considered pivot in the past as I could not get past the janky cable routing...now I see it’s cleared up and from all accounts, the SB sounds like a terrific trail bike. I need to see about finding a large and an xl to try out. Thanks again brother!

Shaun

·
Registered
322 Posts
I think I’d buy one if I could find one...hard to believe so many bikes are several months out (ripmo, SB, sb130, Hightower, etc).

·
Registered
86 Posts

Cheers,

Sean
Hello, you are absolutely right about going size large for 5'10. I found out the hard way. I'm 5'10 and originally ordered a medium size before trying it. The bike felt too small and I felt like I was too far forward on the bike. I had to sell the medium frame and buy a large size to replace it. That was a 2 month delay and a huge hassle! Here's the problem: Pivot's sizing guide on their website isn't accurate for all riders. I'm 5'10 without shoes but with riding shoes and pedal width, I come out to about 5'11. Also, I have a longer upper torso.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try out the frame size before you pull the trigger on a Switchblade if possible. I'm 5'10" on a good day and quite happy on my medium 2020 SB after coming off a 2019 Rocky Mountain Instict BC Edition also in medium. My inseam is 32". Pivot's EWS pro rider Matt Walker is 6'0" and rides a medium Switchblade as well. Personal preference, try before you buy.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I liked the blue and green. I like the Mojave more Easier to add colored components, gloss finish and timeless look.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Try out the frame size before you pull the trigger on a Switchblade if possible. I'm 5'10" on a good day and quite happy on my medium 2020 SB after coming off a 2019 Rocky Mountain Instict BC Edition also in medium. My inseam is 32". Pivot's EWS pro rider Matt Walker is 6'0" and rides a medium Switchblade as well. Personal preference, try before you buy.
6' 2" on an XL and would not go any smaller.

221 - 240 of 247 Posts