Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

201 - 220 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Take it as you like.
Riding a 2016 Trek Remedy 9.8 29r with XXX Kovee wheels(really light).
I did a small test ride of the PIVOT Switchblade and the YETI SB115, same wheels but different tires. The Switchblade blade felt really sluggish to me compared to my Trek and Yeti. The SB 115 felt light and responsive to me even though I do not think there is much weight difference in the frames.
Going back to my 2016 Remedy has made me more appreciative of what I have. I have basically NO pedal strikes on my 2016. I did not get a chance to ride the 2 demo bikes on trails to get a comparison of if they would pedal strike or not.
I came really close to buying a Switchblade sight unseen because of all the YouTube videos I watched and reviews I read. Glad I was fortunate enough to get a ride on the 2 demo bikes.
If I buy another bike I am going in a different direction. Maybe 100-120mm or so travel quicker, more responsive bike.
I ride in the midatlantic region and some of my trails do not need a downhill bike or anything close.
Good riding to all and a Early THANKSGIVING and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

·
Registered
48 Posts
@xtrpickels @Ragna @mtnbikerva1 , thanks for the info!

Unfortunately, there are no demos of any bikes in this part of the world I am in.

I currently own a mondraker dune which is a 27.5 170f/160r. Our terrain is not quite buff.. there are some drops (prob 2 to 3 feet) , rock gardens , rooty trails, all thrown into the mix. No super steep stuff though.. the max speed i did was 25 miles/hr in a few sections.

I tried my friend's 2019 trek fuel 7 with 120mm travel and it worked fine in the various trails albeit a bit harsher at rock gardens. It is better at rooty trails though and climbs better than my Mondraker. Weight of both bikes are similar.

That's why I wonder if its 29er effect or travel effect. If its just 29er, then SB would work well. If its travel, then spur would be good.
Price wise, a x01 spur costs a couple hundred more than a SB pro xt/xtr build.

Does this info makes any difference to the suggestions?

·
Registered
113 Posts
A bike with 120mm of travel will likely always be harsh in rock gardens.
I've heard similar about the Spur, which will likely ride more like the Top Fuel, but with many improvements.

Ultimately, what matters is what you value. Knowing that you are coming from a 160+ Bike, the SB will feel more efficient with most of the plushness.

The Spur will feel even more efficient, maybe more "pop" on jumps, but much less plush on the rough rock gardens.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Went for my first ride yesterday on my new Switchblade Large XT/XTR with the carbon DT wheel set. Strava says it was 31 degrees when we started. Im 225lbs ready to ride. I went with the recommended suspension set up (psi and clicks) and it rode pretty well. I did get a little deep in the travel a few times. This is not an extreme trail. I will add a volume spacer or two in the front and likely go up one size in the rear. Went with 25 psi in the tires. Last bike had 20mm rims and 2.2 tires and I had to keep them at 33psi or more to not burp or pinch flat. What a difference in traction! Seems like I can go down a few psi still as the tires still felt very firm riding. Absolutely love the bike. Handles so well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So far I would say no. I’m just waiting for a few tokens/volume reducers for the suspension. Other than that the brakes have been exceptional, shifting exceptional. I can’t speak to the stock wheels though. I did order the upgraded wheels. The DT 240 hubs are nice. Very quiet which I like.

·
Registered
Revel Rascal,Scott Spark Rc900 wc
40 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I think the spec is well thought out just wanted to see if anyone had more info.
Anyone willing to sell me a large xt/xtr build?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Any owners of a stock pro xt/xtr build? If so what would you upgrade and why?
My upgrades so far:

Grips because I don't like the hard edge between the rubber and the lock on the stock

Cassette to save weight

Wheels to increase stiffness and save weight

Cranks to save weight.

Saddle because stock was uncomfortable

Stem to match i9 hubs (more vanity than upgrade)

·
Dirt Merchant
309 Posts
Just took delivery of a Pro X01 XL last week. Only a few local "offroad rides" as I am waiting on my new hitch rack (old one didn't fit the geometry) to show up today. So far, the only thing I can say about it, is it feels like I'm cheating. Rides SO smooth and is unbelievable on some of the local offroad trails. Will be hitting the mountains (live in PHX valley) later this week and feel I'll be racking up PR's like crazy. Wife wasn't happy with the 8K spent, but it's been SO worth it so far.

·
Registered
Revel Rascal,Scott Spark Rc900 wc
40 Posts
Just took delivery of a Pro X01 XL last week. Only a few local "offroad rides" as I am waiting on my new hitch rack (old one didn't fit the geometry) to show up today. So far, the only thing I can say about it, is it feels like I'm cheating. Rides SO smooth and is unbelievable on some of the local offroad trails. Will be hitting the mountains (live in PHX valley) later this week and feel I'll be racking up PR's like crazy. Wife wasn't happy with the 8K spent, but it's been SO worth it so far.
View attachment 1910015
Nice review! Hoping to buy a switchblade today.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all,

Just demoed a size L Race XT Switchblade today on the Western Slope trails on Massanutten mountain. 12.8 mile ride over rocky Virginia terrain. Ride started with a Climbed 1200 ft to gain a ridge line in the first four miles. Great time to see how this bike handled moderate to steep grades littered with rocks. It was a hard four miles and if I buy this bike I will be putting a 30T chain ring on the front. I was always looking for another gear. This is simply a window into my fitness levels right now but I do live in an area with steep trails.

I do feel this bike climbs well. Shock was in the open position the whole time except for when I climbed back up a gravel road to ride back to the top of the mountain. Steep, steady 10-12% grade for a solid mile. The firm setting seemed to help but I couldn't put down much power so hard to say. Didn't notice much bob as others have already stated. I'm 5'10" with a 31.5" inseam and felt very comfortable on the climb. I'm also a roadie and love to climb big mountains because I like to descend and simply just like being in the mountains. I say that because I like a bike that is an efficient climber and this bike is.

I was wanting for more plushness or low-speed suppleness on the climb. I felt like I was pinging off rocks. Maybe I was just going to slowly. Maybe I had too much air in the tires (26/28 front/rear and I'm 210lbs, 220 kitted up). Maybe the suspension was set up too firm. 90 in the fork and 300 in the shock. I do think it was a little to rough for my liking on the climb. The shop set up the suspension for me. Not sure where they got the numbers but was using the sag indicator. I never really checked it myself as I was too excited to get on the trail.

My plan is to review the suspension advice in this thread and on Pivot's website to see if I can get a better experience on Monday when I go back.

Going down was where I started to smile. This bike picks up speed quickly. Again, I was wanting more suppleness in the front but the back felt OK. Again, these trails are made out of rock, literally. The first descent I took was called the Puzzler because the 1 mile trail was constructed by moving and placing huge rocks and slabs or rock into the hillside and calling it a trail. The fact that I was smiling and laughing on the way down is probably why I will buy this bike.

I just wish I could demo a Specialized Enduro to see if I would have more fun on a bike like that. Tomorrow I will be testing out a much more mellow trail system full of short and steep climbs and descents. These are my local ride from home trails so it will be where I spend 80% of my time. I was looking at the Switchblade because I wanted to be able to ride in the big mountains on long rides and still be excited and happy to be there.

My current bike is a 2008 26" Santa Cruz Blur LT. All things considered, that bike still holds it's own out there.

Stay tuned for round two.

Good night,

Sean

·
Registered
9 Posts
Take it as you like.
Riding a 2016 Trek Remedy 9.8 29r with XXX Kovee wheels(really light).
I did a small test ride of the PIVOT Switchblade and the YETI SB115, same wheels but different tires. The Switchblade blade felt really sluggish to me compared to my Trek and Yeti. The SB 115 felt light and responsive to me even though I do not think there is much weight difference in the frames.
Going back to my 2016 Remedy has made me more appreciative of what I have. I have basically NO pedal strikes on my 2016. I did not get a chance to ride the 2 demo bikes on trails to get a comparison of if they would pedal strike or not.
I came really close to buying a Switchblade sight unseen because of all the YouTube videos I watched and reviews I read. Glad I was fortunate enough to get a ride on the 2 demo bikes.
If I buy another bike I am going in a different direction. Maybe 100-120mm or so travel quicker, more responsive bike.
I ride in the midatlantic region and some of my trails do not need a downhill bike or anything close.
Good riding to all and a Early THANKSGIVING and MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Hello neighbor,

If you haven't demoed a Switchblade out in the GW or down in Stokesville or the Western Slope you should try one. A1 in Herndon has a size L Race XT. I just demoed today and did not find the Switchblade to be sluggish on the mountain. When I could put the power down and accelerate on the climb the bike complied without hesitation. It's not light that's for sure but coming down was so much fun.

I did notice a fair amount of pedal strikes but I'm not sure if that was just the terrain. Rocks everywhere.

Just thought you might like to hear from someone in your neck of the woods. There are four guys down here in central VA who are riding Switchbacks and they love them. Most were comparing them to bigger bikes like the new Slash though. I still think this bike would be fun at Lake Fairfax and Fountainhead. My folks are in Reston so if I ever go visit them again I'll let you know how it rides up there.

Sean

·
Registered
41 Posts
BlueRidge, I am very close to you in weight. I’m just slightly heavier. I run 25 psi front and rear tires on my Switchblade. I may try 24 psi soon. As far as suspension set up goes I’m at 109 psi front and 240 in the rear. I do have the fox factory though. 300 has to be way to much in the rear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
BlueRidge, I am very close to you in weight. I’m just slightly heavier. I run 25 psi front and rear tires on my Switchblade. I may try 24 psi soon. As far as suspension set up goes I’m at 109 psi front and 240 in the rear. I do have the fox factory though. 300 has to be way to much in the rear.
I agree on the rear but I didn't feel like it was harsh and I may have bottomed out on a jump but it could have been something else as I'm not sure I ever bottomed out my old Blur. I don't do any big drops or jumps. I'm going to lower it to 270 and see if I can tell the difference.

I've been running 19 PSI and 21 PSI front/rear on my Mavic Crossmax wheels on the Blur with Tubeless Maxxis Ardent so I don't know why I listened to the shop when they said 30 PSI. Maybe 26" tires can run lower pressures but that doesn't make sense.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'll play around with these pressures and let you all know. BTW, the shop put new tires on this demo: Specialized Butcher Grid 2.6 up front and Specialized Control Grid 2.6 out back. Having never ridden the stock Maxxis tires it's hard to compare them but I did feel like the front end did want to wash out on me.

Could have been the leaves on the trail, the damp freeze/thaw soil on the mountain or the high pressure causing the issue.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I’m in central va and currently on a v2 Ripley and looking to get into a new ride. Almost ordered a sb130 last week but held off...I looked at pivot a few years back and the janky cable routing under the bottom bracket turned me off...I see that’s gone now:)!!

So, I’m 6’1” about 250-260. Ride xl Ripley (ibis seems to run small). I hear pivots are stiff and strong...thinking that would be good for my size? Also does super boost help with stiffness in the rear? I can feel my rear end flex during hard cornering on my Ripley. No place in richmond area has anything to demo that I can find. I’m thinking a large? Yeti sb130 would of been a large. The new SB does look quite good as does their build packages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

201 - 220 of 247 Posts