Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Getting too old for this...
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One model?

I love the color finally. Now with 80mm rims and 4.0 tires? I wonder why. No 65/3.8 anymore? Carbon only?

Other than wheels, it’s the same as previous years.

Just a heads up.

·
Registered
86 Posts
One model?

I love the color finally. Now with 80mm rims and 4.0 tires? I wonder why. No 65/3.8 anymore? Carbon only?

Other than wheels, it's the same as previous years.

Just a heads up.
They brought back the blizzard 50 tho. I just bought a 2019 Blizzard 20 and installed the eagle 12 speed XD drivetrain and Manitou Mastodon suspension fork, RF BB, spec'd out better now than the new 2020 Blizzard 50 and Suzi at half the price lol buying the top model is just asking them to bend you over harder.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Getting too old for this...
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3700 for a fat bike with Xt. Does seem crazy for a not-new frame and fork. I was hoping for a carbon model around 3k. Oh well. I’ll keep my aluminum from 2017

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'm not sure what you meant by does not compute? The NX eagle cassette runs on the Shimano hub driver, it's not a one piece cassette and doesn't have the same 10-50 range like the SRAM XD driver cassettes.

Ahh, I see. You were referring to a Shimano Freehub. When you said "Shimano HG NX Cassette", it sounds like, well, just as you typed it....that Shimano makes a cassette called a "HG NX".

Regarding my preference for NX....I'm sure a GX will suit you, it's just that in my experience, cassettes with aluminum cogs get chewed up with use under a heavy rider, the teeth become sharp and ground up, it's ends up being like a little saw blade.....plus, Sram says the NX is the only Eagle cassette rated for E-bikes. This obviously means it is stronger.....heavier, but stronger.

As far as range, 10 teeth vs 11 on the top end is a non-issue for me. The very rare times that I will be pedaling fast enough that 11 spins my legs out....I'll stop pedaling and coast...especially since this means I am just on a dirt road or pavement. ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ahh, I see. You were referring to a Shimano Freehub. When you said "Shimano HG NX Cassette", it sounds like, well, just as you typed it....that Shimano makes a cassette called a "HG NX".

Regarding my preference for NX....I'm sure a GX will suit you, it's just that in my experience, cassettes with aluminum cogs get chewed up with use under a heavy rider, the teeth become sharp and ground up, it's ends up being like a little saw blade.....plus, Sram says the NX is the only Eagle cassette rated for E-bikes. This obviously means it is stronger.....heavier, but stronger.

As far as range, 10 teeth vs 11 on the top end is a non-issue for me. The very rare times that I will be pedaling fast enough that 11 spins my legs out....I'll stop pedaling and coast...especially since this means I am just on a dirt road or pavement. ;)
Yeah I read that as well about it being the only cassette strong enough for ebikes in that lineup, I sure considered leaving the HG driver on and going NX but I figured any future upgrades would require the XD driver so might as well switch it now. I find it a rare occurrence that I'm in the 2 largest cogs even at inclines so hopefully I don't chew them up to quick, I like the idea of the step up from GX with the cnc machined cassette out of one solid piece of material.

I definitely agree the 10&11 cog diff is of little importance. I just wish we got a better bang for our money on new complete bikes, meaning not cheaping out and mixing GX with NX to save a few dollars. These bikes are severely over priced for what's on them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.