Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know when the 2020 Surlys come out?

I'm in the market for a Karate Monkey, but not too fond of the current color offerings. Is there a forum for Surlys in general?

How does one look specific things up like that?

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
There is a Surly forum under manufacturer forum.

I know the MS came out in blue and black just last week. Not sure what's up with the rest of the line up.

I always use Google and add "MTBR" to my search.

·
Registered
691 Posts
So far they've released the updated colors for the Midnight Special, Cross Check and Wednesday, and rolled out a few new/updated tires (and new, minimalist packaging) along with the Whiplash frame strap. They also informed that the Cross Check will only be available as a frameset this year.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I wonder if the 2020 Ice Cream Truck is going to be 27.5" fat wheels. I know Surly has a lot of tooling invested in the 26" inch tires, but their sister brands; Salsa and Heller, both have 27.5" fat wheel bikes.

Will the Surly Wednesday be there 26" inch fat tire bike as a complete bike and the ICT their 27.5" fat bike offering?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I wonder if the 2020 Ice Cream Truck is going to be 27.5" fat wheels. I know Surly has a lot of tooling invested in the 26" inch tires, but their sister brands; Salsa and Heller, both have 27.5" fat wheel bikes.

Will the Surly Wednesday be there 26" inch fat tire bike as a complete bike and the ICT their 27.5" fat bike offering?
The two bikes overlap a lot, that's for sure. Whatever wheels and tires they put on the ICT, it needs to show off the clearance

·
Like a FirePlug
175 Posts
Does anyone know when the 2020 Surlys come out?

I'm in the market for a Karate Monkey, but not too fond of the current color offerings. Is there a forum for Surlys in general?

How does one look specific things up like that?
Buy one and have the frame painted any color you want. Have custom decals made. POW! Dream bike.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Like a FirePlug
175 Posts
The two bikes overlap a lot, that's for sure. Whatever wheels and tires they put on the ICT, it needs to show off the clearance
Different geometry between the two. The current ICT will fit any wheel tire combo out there right now. My guess is they stay with the MOBD rims.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
I could see the Wednesday going to B-fat before the ICT. But probably not though. Maybe we’ll see the Wednesday get a bent seat tube for better clearance and 29+ without having to slide the drops back. Maybe a disco rat. Maybe just different colors.
If I could pick any change though, it would be some stack height added to almost every model.

·
turtles make me hot
11,661 Posts
Surly dropped the ball big time. I waited months for the new Ice Cream Trucks and they're PINK.
NOT COOL. Now I gotta buy a frameset and take it directly to the powder coater. Another 136 bucks on top of the cost of the frame.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'd give that color of the new ICT a chance. I like the contrast with all the Black on the bike.

I think people are going to see it and say they love the color. Lately, most bikes you see are sticking to more muted colors. I think it's time for a change. I like these colors that look like highlighter pens: Yellow, Orange, Blue, Pink.

·
turtles make me hot
11,661 Posts
When getting a bike powder coated...

Do the bolt interfaces/parts on the bike that get rubbed, wear off the paint?

What kind of shop do you take it to? Auto body?
The bikes come powder coated from the factory. I bring frames to a powder coat shop not too far from me. They do automotive wheels, all sorts of parts and definitely seem to have plenty of bicycle experience. They put something in all the threaded holes so the powder doesn't get in the threads and cause problems. In my experience, the aftermarket powder lives just like the factory powder.
I was looking at silvers, blues and oranges. I'm considering a nice, heavy metallic orange. We'll see.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.