Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
What travel are people generally running?

I'm wanting to build up with a more trail/ all day based build (on the lighter end of the scale) have a matoc at 160mm but could lower it to 150 if that sharpens it up (27.5 both ends)
I have a Pike at 150mm and it feels really well balanced with the 135mm rear. For most of my time with the Spitty I've had it in the low setting, but I just recently changed it to the neutral as I was getting a lot of pedal strikes on the rocky trails that make up 90% of my typical riding. The change to neutral so far has been nearly imperceptible at the bars, but noticeably less pedal strikes. Still, only a small sample size with neutral so more riding is needed to get a better picture.

Even though I haven't ridden it at 160mm in the front, I'd say the change of HTA between that and 150mm of about .5* would have around about the same impact as the change from low to neutral at the rear dropouts.

However, the one sorta big difference and in a good way would be you'd get a little higher BB at 160 vs 150 and could keep the dropouts in the low setting, resulting in about 64.5* HTA. All depends on what you're after, though. Maybe 160 up front and neutral might be perfect for your all day type of build, putting your right about 65*

For where and how I ride, this bike has been perfect with 150mm. It covers winch and plummet rides as well as more meandering rides with longish XC sections linking together steep/rocky sections. It is 100% a trail bike that likes it spicy.

For reference, my build is ~30# with pedals and without trying at all to be weight conscious. I do have carbon wheels (Nox Farlow/DT350) and 2.5 Maxxis DHR/Agressor in EXO tires — not to save weight, but because I built up my Spitty from what I took off my old frame and because those wheels and tires work well for where I ride. No other carbon or lightweight components.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks all, will go 160mm neutral initially, will leave lowering untill the next service - now to source some Shimano 12 speed in the UK for the rest of the build...

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Info is scarce on this awesome bike is so I wanted to share my 26" build (no not a mullet, they're both 26") and ride experience etc...

I have an HDR set up 26 and I was thinking about swapping the parts over to a Spitfire. I have a 160 pike and I can get a new air shaft to drop it down. Thinking about going 150mm, I live in Colorado front range and it can get pretty steep out here. Is fox still making 26in forks? Or is it a 27.5 fork?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Info is scarce on this awesome bike is so I wanted to share my 26" build (no not a mullet, they're both 26") and ride experience etc...

I have an HDR set up 26 and I was thinking about swapping the parts over to a Spitfire. I have a 160 pike and I can get a new air shaft to drop it down. Thinking about going 150mm, I live in Colorado front range and it can get pretty steep out here. Is fox still making 26in forks? Or is it a 27.5 fork?
Thanks.
The fork is 27.5", not aware of any 26"-spec trail forks that are current. The extra clearance is cool though and doesn't look as awkward as I thought it would with a 2.4WT or 2.5 tire in there.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
You can put a grip2 damper in a 2015 or newer fox 36. Any one want to get rid of an old 26 inch fox 36?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Loving the Banshee Spitfire V3

Hey Guys thought I'd share my build that I've absolutely stoked with.

Spitfire V3
Rockshock Lyrik Ultimate 150mm
Sram GX 1x12, 32 & 10-52 tooth (awesome ratio)
Code RSC front and rear (200mm front & 180mm rear rotors)
One up 180mm dropper (I'm 182cm and its 2cm from bottomed out)
One up Carbon Bars
One up Stem 35mm
One Up Grips
Hunt Trail Wide Rims
Spank Oozy 220 Saddle
Cleanskin Composite Pedals
Schwalbe Hans Dampf Addix Soft (awesome on rocks, less good loose over hard).
Pro side entry bottle holder and bottle
Hits the scales at 15.0kg's without the bottle.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Loving the Banshee Spitfire V3

Hey Guys thought I'd share my build that I've absolutely stoked with.

Spitfire V3
Rockshock Lyrik Ultimate 150mm
Sram GX 1x12, 32 & 10-52 tooth (awesome ratio)
Code RSC front and rear (200mm front & 180mm rear rotors)
One up 180mm dropper (I'm 182cm and its 2cm from bottomed out)
One up Carbon Bars
One up Stem 35mm
One Up Grips
Hunt Trail Wide Rims
Spank Oozy 220 Saddle
Cleanskin Composite Pedals
Schwalbe Hans Dampf Addix Soft (awesome on rocks, less good loose over hard).
Pro side entry bottle holder and bottle

Looks nice! what fender is that in the back? Can you take some close up pics of it? Also, what do you think of the Hunt wheels? Thinking about those for a rigid 29er build.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks nice! what fender is that in the back? Can you take some close up pics of it? Also, what do you think of the Hunt wheels? Thinking about those for a rigid 29er build.
Its just a standard RockShock fender for the forks, see the second photo. I've got it there mainly to keep gunk out of the top pivot bearings and it does a fantastic job of keeping that area (including the shock) cleaner. I've not worked out a nice way of protecting the lower pivots yet but its in the back of my mind.

These are Hunt Trail-wide's and they are really nice, awesome value for money and the lightest set of rims I've ever had, also very stiff and tough, extremely happy. However I've never ridden a set of carbon wheels to compare, but find the cost hard to justify. The Hans-Dampf are super great on rocky terrain and damp trails but I'd prefer to go back to an Ardent for loose over hard. The rimpact inserts are sweet and 100% would do again (or similar).

·
Registered
198 Posts
Its just a standard RockShock fender for the forks, see the second photo. I've got it there mainly to keep gunk out of the top pivot bearings and it does a fantastic job of keeping that area (including the shock) cleaner. I've not worked out a nice way of protecting the lower pivots yet but its in the back of my mind.

These are Hunt Trail-wide's and they are really nice, awesome value for money and the lightest set of rims I've ever had, also very stiff and tough, extremely happy. However I've never ridden a set of carbon wheels to compare, but find the cost hard to justify. The Hans-Dampf are super great on rocky terrain and damp trails but I'd prefer to go back to an Ardent for loose over hard. The rimpact inserts are sweet and 100% would do again (or similar).
Thanks for the info!

81 - 90 of 90 Posts