Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just finished her off this evening, so yet to get a ride in.

Bit of an odd mix at the moment with the drivetrain.

Hope SS/Trials Hub
7 speed 11-28t cassette
Saint cranks and mech

Will probably slap my spare XT kit in eventually.

Looking forward to giving it a spin over the weekend!

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just waiting on some bits to arrive which is taking ages due to covid, but very excited to get this built.

XL spitfire V3
Dhx2 2020
2020 Fox 36 grip 2 29" 150mm
38mm nextie asymmetric rims. 29" front (hope pro 4) 27.5" rear (i9 hydra).
Formula cura 4 brakes
Swissstop catalyst rotors 203mm
X fusion manic dropper post 150mm
Xt 12 speed groupset
Xt direct mount cranks 175mm
Joystick analogue carbon bars 800mm
Joystick binary stem 35mm

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dropouts - Compact or Long??? & IS Mount Brake Height

Hey guys I've just received my Large Spitfire V3 and realised I ordered compact dropouts rather than Long dropouts.

Can I still fit a 650B on the compact dropouts? And if so, at what maximum tire width? Or am I completely boned and need to arrange Long dropout kit?

I've ordered a set of Hunt trail wheels, and really want to have everything together by the time they rock up in late september. So have not way to easily precheck this.

Also the IS mount brake height. I assume this is setup as standard/minimum for 180mm rotors?

·
Hard funkin´ Kraut
894 Posts
... Can I still fit a 650B on the compact dropouts? And if so, at what maximum tire width? Or am I completely boned and need to arrange Long dropout kit?
I can´t tell exactly for the V3 Spitfire, but on the V2´s a 27.5 wheel fits in the compact dropouts up to a maximum 2.3 tire. But if I were you I would change to the long dropouts, as these give maximum tire-clearance for 27.5 tires. Plus the 10 mm longer chainstays possibly make for a more centered position on the bike and to have the intended geometry.

... Also the IS mount brake height. I assume this is setup as standard/minimum for 180mm rotors?
The IS2000 rear brake standard is for 160 mm rotors. An Adapter is required anyway, as brake calipers are Post-Mount.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Finally got this mullet spitty built today, so stoked! I borrowed a front wheel from another bike but have the same with a black hub, just waiting on tyres to be delivered. Silver hubs would have looked epic but not much stock around at the moment.

Manitou mezzer at 150mm
Dhx2
Nextie assymetric rims on i9 hydra rear / hope pro 4 front
Xt 1x12
Formula cura 4 brakes
Joystick cockpit
X fusion manic dropper (would like more drop to slam the post but had this one from another bike)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Looks nice!

Been riding my V3 Spitty for about 2 months now 27.5 F/R and it's by far the best bike I've ever ridden.

I have no reason other than insatiable curiosity, but I really want to try it as a mullet.

Love to hear some ride reports from people running 29" front ends. Especially from anyone who's done both 27.5 front vs 29.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like mine more 27.5/27.5 but it's just personal preference towards flickability really. 29 front feels more like a train with the slacker head angle, up to you if it's your thing or not. It's a fantastic confidence inspiring bike built either way!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just built this Large V3 up 27.5 both ends, replacing an XL V2. Rides great but have some cable rattle which need sorting, think is the dropper hose inside the downtube.

Spitfire V3 copy.jpg

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just built this Large V3 up 27.5 both ends, replacing an XL V2. Rides great but have some cable rattle which need sorting, think is the dropper hose inside the downtube.

Rattles are always frustrating. My V3 has been really quiet, more so than expected. I just looked at my cable management again and I didn't ziptie my dropper cable with the shift cable and rear brake hose at the spot in front of the lower shock mount. Maybe something to consider? Hard to say really.

·
freeloader
2 Posts
Can anyone with a spit say how it compares to something like a 5010?
I'm thinking about building one up with 140mm and either running 27.5 f/r or going 27.5/26 and getting the shorter dropouts. I'm definitely looking for something "playful" as the marketing guys would say. Thanks!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've just got a quick question about seatpost insertion.

I have a XL spitfire and just installed a one up 210 dropper.

From the information on banshees website I see that I can insert 175mm of post. The one up has an insertion depth of 195mm including the actuator.

So I should only have 20mm of exposed post however i have 40mm and the post won't go in any further.

Anyone else running a long travel one up dropper in an XL frame? Or any tips to get more insertion depth?

Cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
The seat tube insides change shape near the bottom where it joins the shock basket thing so won't go down further, I changed my one-up to 10mm shorter drop with the pins provided (180mm on a Large V3)

·
Registered
4 Posts
One up 180mm dropper

The seat tube insides change shape near the bottom where it joins the shock basket thing so won't go down further, I changed my one-up to 10mm shorter drop with the pins provided (180mm on a Large V3)
I'm running my Large V3 with a one up 180mm dropper and its perfect. I'm running it at 180mm and about a finger or two above maximum insertion into the frame. I'm 182cm and running 170mm crank arms.

·
EzDiver
2 Posts
Fork selection for 26/27.5/29er mullet

Anyone know of a good fork selection that could cover the 26 setup, along with a 27.5/ 29er front and 27.5 rear? Is there on fork to do it all without messing up geo?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
You want to be able to run any wheel size in the front fork of your Spitfire? You could get a 36 or a pike and just adjust the travel down for the shorter wheel sized to try to match the needed axle to crown measurement you want for a specific head tube angle.

·
EzDiver
2 Posts
Ok cool, thanks. I know if your going to run a mullet configuration you can step down a 36 to 140 travel. So your saying you would do the same thing with a 26r set up, reduce it to 140?

·
Registered
2 Posts
26" Spitfire V3 Build

Info is scarce on this awesome bike is so I wanted to share my 26" build (no not a mullet, they're both 26") and ride experience etc...

XT 11-speed, 26" Flow mk3 wheels, 2021 Fox 34 fork (140mm travel), 2020 Fox DPX2 shock (comes with the frame-only option), 180mm OneUp dropper, Deity bar/stem. I re-did the fork/shock/wheel decals to single-tone matte silver to match with the raw aluminum branding on the frame.

I was drawn to the Spitfire for its unusual mixture of; beefy build/geo, low leverage ratio suspension (great for heavy riders, I'm 285lbs) and not excessive amount of travel. I bought the frame from a Banshee distributor in GA with absolutely no idea of what to expect having never seen a Banshee product in my life. I was told I got the last large frame in green and was the only person to request the 26" dropouts (Banshee give you one free set of whichever dropouts you want with purchase of the frame).

When I got the frame I was blown away at how pretty it was, even my wife was admiring it sitting on the floor in my office. The downtube is straight, instead of a big "S" shape like many other aluminum full-suspension bikes, which looks sharp. The top tube while straight when viewed from the side actually has a beautiful 3D form to it when viewed top-down. The rear triangle has an undeniably sendy "moto" vibe while again having a coke bottle like shape to it when viewed top-down. The trunnion-mounted shock and forged basket area look ready for biz. 10/10.

Build was mostly straightforward, I did have to reference Banshee's instructions for the dropper housing routing and internal rear brake lines take a little extra effort but the cable options provided by the frame are excellent and there's a zip tie point everywhere you need one. Easy standard sized threaded bottom bracket and headset cups are pressed into the frame as-shipped with bearings included, nice.

My previous bike was a 2013 Trek Fuel EX8, a bike marketed in the day as an "all mountain" slayer but with only 130mm/130mm travel and an XC rear shock (that you can't replace) let's call it a lightweight XC-oriented trail bike in todays terms, I loved it. I assumed the Spitty would feel a touch bigger, slacker and more clumsy while being more comfortable, stable and offering better support for my weight (again, 285lbs). I was so wrong.

The Spitfire absolutely rails turns in a way my Trek (with it's quick release rear skewer) never could, the response is incredible and I immediately felt how stiff the whole rear end is. When you get out of the saddle to climb the anti-squat is apparent, the bike lifts in its travel while the the rear tire gets smooshed into every traction opportunity on your way up. If you want to sit for the climb the steep seat tube puts you in the right spot and there is no floppy steering weirdness or other manifestations of "slackness" that I have noticed. I've got no appreciable pedal bob running an oval chainring and the suspension is progressive enough that I've not touched the last ~15% of travel in my first month of riding; I used to bottom my Trek every ride. The Spitty is an aggressive bike with a rear suspension that pushes back at you, it pedals/climbs efficiently and wants to get rowdy but it's not "too much bike" for any trail really and I do find it comfortable. The 26" dropouts give a 426mm chainstay so wheelies and associated antics around the neighborhood are just as easy as on my Trek and I assume this contributes to the nimble nature of the handling. It's an addictive machine that rarely feels out of its element just don't expect a cushy Cadillac ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
What travel are people generally running?

I'm wanting to build up with a more trail/ all day based build (on the lighter end of the scale) have a matoc at 160mm but could lower it to 150 if that sharpens it up (27.5 both ends)

61 - 80 of 90 Posts