Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple questions about the new Primer 2020:

Does anyone know how large of a rear tire the S version can handle in 27.5? Can it be used as a true 27.5+ bike for winter use with 3.0-tires?

The original drafts for the Primer from about a year ago showed an ACV version with wider rear end than the 29er. Are the rear ends of the Primer S and Primer 29 now the same?

Is the tire clearance on the Primer 29 better than the old Primer? I am running 29x2.6 on my old Primer, but with very little tire clearance. Was hoping for space for a 29x2.8 winter tire as well.

Complete bikes come with 170mm cranks. Will it work ok with 175mm in high BB setting?

·
WTF is downcountry?
858 Posts
I can't answer your questions but it does look like some nice upgrades. More travel, got rid of box section lower link, tabs for a proper chain guide or skid basher, kept the geo trail friendly. Is there gonna be an E version? :)

Reactions: RCederholm

·
Registered
690 Posts
A couple questions about the new Primer 2020:

Does anyone know how large of a rear tire the S version can handle in 27.5? Can it be used as a true 27.5+ bike for winter use with 3.0-tires?

The original drafts for the Primer from about a year ago showed an ACV version with wider rear end than the 29er. Are the rear ends of the Primer S and Primer 29 now the same?

Is the tire clearance on the Primer 29 better than the old Primer? I am running 29x2.6 on my old Primer, but with very little tire clearance. Was hoping for space for a 29x2.8 winter tire as well.

Complete bikes come with 170mm cranks. Will it work ok with 175mm in high BB setting?
The S model comes with a 2.8" rear tire. It can fit either up to a 29x2.6" or 27.5x3.0" (depending on actual tire width from manufacturer)

Primer 29 and Primer S share the same frame. The S is just a variant of the 29 with build spec and with staggered wheels.

The rear tire clearance on all of the new Primers has been updated to accept 2.6" wide tires. The previous Primer was designed to accept a 2.4" with some 2.6" working but like you mention it is very tight.

175MM cranks are fine if you're running in the higher setting, with offering the lower setting we wanted to minimize pedal strikes.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Just a couple more points to help clarify on this bike:

- Internally routed cable guides
- Updated thicker downtube and BB protector
- Lower rear seat tube protector
- Dual Rear strut for stiffer rear triangle
- Threaded Bottom Bracket
- JS Trail Lower Link (no longer box link) - better small bump and square edge compliance
- Adjustable geometry with Flip chip
- All sizes fit a water bottle
- Lower Seat tube height and size specific dropper posts
- ISCG Mounts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The S model comes with a 2.8" rear tire. It can fit either up to a 29x2.6" or 27.5x3.0" (depending on actual tire width from manufacturer)

Primer 29 and Primer S share the same frame. The S is just a variant of the 29 with build spec and with staggered wheels.

The rear tire clearance on all of the new Primers has been updated to accept 2.6" wide tires. The previous Primer was designed to accept a 2.4" with some 2.6" working but like you mention it is very tight.

175MM cranks are fine if you're running in the higher setting, with offering the lower setting we wanted to minimize pedal strikes.
Thanks!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Tabs for a bash and threaded BB, finally something the people want.

Why does the S have a 36 and the rest a 34 fork? Is the S a more aggressive bike than 275 and 29?

Is the recluse gone now?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
690 Posts
Tabs for a bash and threaded BB, finally something the people want.

Why does the S have a 36 and the rest a 34 fork? Is the S a more aggressive bike than 275 and 29?

Is the recluse gone now?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
The S model we built for a more aggressive rider.

The Recluse model will not be continued and the Primer 275 takes it's place.

·
Registered
Status 140, NS Suburban
447 Posts
Just a couple more points to help clarify on this bike:

- Internally routed cable guides
- Updated thicker downtube and BB protector
- Lower rear seat tube protector
- Dual Rear strut for stiffer rear triangle
- Threaded Bottom Bracket
- JS Trail Lower Link (no longer box link) - better small bump and square edge compliance
- Adjustable geometry with Flip chip
- All sizes fit a water bottle
- Lower Seat tube height and size specific dropper posts
- ISCG Mounts
This is nice, next step of evolution will be SWAT / internal storage for the frame?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Need to know about that upper link mount - is the hardware really hidden? Can't find a pic of the non-drive side to see. Second the request for frame weights. Heavier than previous Primer?

1 - 20 of 300 Posts