Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
By any standard of which years are measured 2020 is going to do down as one of the worst. Getting out on trails was the salve but travel and covid risk of course made things more difficult. Nonetheless, some trails got built and some trips were made. Anyhow, here's a thread for posting pixel stoke if folks feel so inclined. Here's mine in somewhat sequential order.

Happy New Year! F**k 2020 and bring on 2021.

Mescal, Sedona.
Mescal.jpg

I made a trail day with Verde Valley Cyclist Coalition and the USFS to work on Ground Control.
Ground Control_2.png

Sampling the finished product which is a fine addition to the Western Gateway trail system.
Ground Control_3.png

Ground Control_4.png

Trail building went on in Flagstaff and we finished the Little Elden reroute and ACE completed the Heart Trail realignment.
LE_1.jpg

After completing the 4 mile Little Elden reroute the Flagstaff Trail Faeries moved onto to a 1+ mile reroute of the Arizona Trail.
AZT Connector_1.jpg

ACE did an amazing job building Heart Trail. A portend of things to come.
Heart_top corner1.JPG

Sampling the goods.
Heart.jpg

We call this Karen's Corner. There's a back story but not worth getting into the complaints by karen.
Karen's corner.jpg

Meanwhile after a lengthy closure following the Museum Fire many trails that were closed reopened in April. Sunset is always a crowd pleaser.
Sunset_Museum Fire 2.jpg

Sunset Send.jpg

Made a quick trip to SW Utah for Memorial Day. Gotta love mesa type riding.

Guacamole with a fine view of Zion.
Guacamole.jpg

Little Creek.jpg

July 4th brought a quick hitter to Driggs, Idaho.

The view from Rocky Mountain Way trail, Targhee.
38 Special_1.jpg

38 Special.
38 Special_2.jpg

On the way back we hit a trail I hadn't ridden in nearly two decades but is still quite worthy-the Virgin Rim trail.
Virgin Rim_2.jpg

The end of August brought the longest trip of they year which was to deposit daughter #2 off at college in Fort Collins, CO. What was to become the largest fire in Colorado history, the Cameron Peak Fire, had just blown up and we had to detour into Wyoming.

Naturally that meant a stint and Curt Gowdy which has lots of bike optimized trails which are quite fun.
IMG_1889.JPG

Steamboat was on the backside of the fire so we spent a couple of days there including riding NPR which stands for No Pedaling Required!
NPR.png

It only made sense to hit Crested Butte between here and there.

Doctor Park
IMG_1934.JPG

IMG_1938.JPG

IMG_1950.JPG

September brought a quick trip to the Brian Head bike park.

Brian Head_1.jpg

brian head_2.jpg

I met up with raisingarizona who was working for ACE on the Dark Hollow trail that was blown out by fire a couple of years ago.
brian head_3.jpg

Late September brought a quick hitter to the Durango high country.
engineer_2.jpg

engineer_3.jpg

December brought a memorable day on Hangover with raisingarizona. I first rode this in 2007 when it was a secret handshake trail and it never disappoints. The straight drop-in off the damifino saddle.

Damifino_2.jpg

Raisingarizona encouraged me to try the Chewy line and so I did

The upper line.
chewy send.jpg

The lower exit which might be even more scary. A fine way to punch out what overall has been a sucky year. Stay safe friends!
lower line_1.jpg

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Let me be the first to like this post. Fortunately I have fast Internet lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,539 Posts
Looks like a pretty good year to me, Joe. Way to make the most of it. I think I actually got more rides, more miles, more elevation in 2020 than ever before partly due to the pandemic and more time off. Even got in some great locations other than home...... but sadly not AZ so won't post my year here.

I've heard of the Chewy Line on Hangover but never knew where it was exactly. Looks awesome. Nice job on that. You'll have to show me sometime.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like a pretty good year to me, Joe. Way to make the most of it. I think I actually got more rides, more miles, more elevation in 2020 than ever before partly due to the pandemic and more time off. Even got in some great locations other than home...... but sadly not AZ so won't post my year here.

I've heard of the Chewy Line on Hangover but never knew where it was exactly. Looks awesome. Nice job on that. You'll have to show me sometime.
Yes, it's likely the gnarliest thing I've attempted on a bike but it goes. Now that I know the line and entry I would do it again. This gives a better idea of the exposure. Sequence Saturday 46 - Pinkbike

Agreed on pandemic miles. Working at home made it much easier to sneak out for rides. I've never broken 2000+ miles in a year. Definitely didn't do a few trips because staying hunkered down seemed like a better idea.

·
Registered
Pivot Switchblade 29er
550 Posts
Thanks! Some really great photos there, and awesome locations. Yeah, the views and scenery at Targhee really are that spectacular! We caught it on a picture perfect day in prime season about four years ago. Makes me want to get back there this year. You were really able to capture the background well with a rider(s) up close. Not sure what the secret is, but that rarely happens for me. In my photos, the peaks in the background always look so far away in the distance.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Damn fine post rockman! Thanks for the stoke. That was quite the year despite covid!

And wtf az forum folks? This is one of the best stoke posts we've seen on here in a good while and there's what? 3 or 4 replies from members. That's pretty lame.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts