Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Will a, say, Fox DHX2 coil shock fit into the frame on a m10/m30?

Does anyone know?
Hi,

Since this thead shows up pretty high in Google when searcing for "orbea occam coil" I'll reply to this thread. I hope that this helps anyone who owns the Orbea Occam 2020 and is considering a coil shock.

I have Orbea Occam 2020 (the carbon/M10 frame) and have installed the Öhlins TTX22M coil shock on it. There are two versions of Öhlins and I have the one with more traditional looking piggy-back (similar to the one in the supplied DPX2).

I didn't go for the other version of the Öhlins shock because I wasn't 100% sure that it would fit at the frame mounting point. I also considered the Cane Creek DB Inline coil shock but after a call to TF tuned I learned that the yoke/extender in the Occam would probably cause so much stress to the shock that Cane Creek's coil would not last very long. That's why I chose Öhlins.

TF tuned also told me that it's not a good idea to mount the shock's reservoir/piggy-back end to the extender, so consider that if you're thinking of mounting the shock the wrong way. They told me that the nitrogen reservoir does not like to be in the yoke end that is the moving end. Cane Creek's coil and probably many others are so wide in the reservoir end that there might be some fit problems and you might be tempted to mount the shock the other way around.

Here are correct mounting hardware measurements:

Please note that Orbea's "blue paper" has several faulty specs regarding mounting hardware that you should use! The correct mount hardware sizes are:

• 8 x 21.84 mm in the frame end. This is correct in Orbea's blue paper. Please note that the actual width of the frame's mount point is 22 mm but Orbea ships a small 0.57mm spacer that you should use. Therefore 21.84 mm mounting hardware is correct - just remember to use the spacer. I don't have any sideways movement with my shock. See the Orbea Blue paper to find out where to place the spacer if you are unsure.

• 8 x 16.43 mm is the correct measurement for the extender/yoke end. This is incorrect in Orbea's blue paper. They claim it is 8 x 15.748 mm which is too small and you shouldn't use that. I had to order a custom size mounting hardware kit for my Öhlins shock because the size of the extender/yoke is not standard. Thank you for that. I have asked Orbea what is the correct sizing but they haven't answered. I will update this thread in case I get more information.

If you measure the width of the mounting hardware from the DPX2 you were provided with your Occam you'll find out that it has 16.43 mm width. In the end of this post I have included a picture of the measurements of my DPX2 shock mounting hardware that was originally provided with the Occam. Also there is a pic of the width of the mounting point measured from the extender/yoke. This pic is a bit blurry but you should be able to see the reading.

Also the blue paper states that the eye-to-eye shock length is 250mm. This is incorrect as well. The correct size of the shock is 210mm x 50mm. The stroke is reported correctly in the blue paper.

I guess it might be possible to use a 15.748 long mounting pin for your shock if you use spacers that are a bit wider so that the total width of your spacers and the shock itself is 16.43mm. That would mean that the pin would be a bit narrower, though, which probably would mean that you're going to need to service your shock sooner than later.

Stroke ratio:

My full rider weight with water bottle and everything else is 80 kg. I'm currently using stroke ratio of 571 lb/inch which is same than 100 N/mm. I get about 30% of SAG. Please note that you can't just compare SAG of a coil shock to the SAG of an air shock. You need to ride the bike and actually analyze how the ride feels to actually be able to decide a correct spring ratio.

My spring ratio here is just to help you to possibly guesstimate a good starting point.

Orbea Occam 2020 is very stiff and pedal-effective bike thanks to it's high anti-squat. It has some progression but not so much than some others. Personally I feel that the coil shock works pretty well and I don't wish for any more progression at least just yet.

With coil on the Occam there is the usual increased sensitivity in the start of the travel. That is the most notable difference between Öhlins and the DPX2. The DPX2 is an excellent shock by the way!

As with the DPX2, with coil too there is virtually no pedal bob. When you get your spring ratio right you can safely assume that coil is a good choice. I don't use spring preload to adjust my SAG because it will eat away the sensitivity that I was after. I ride trails, occasional bike park laps and enduro races with my Occam.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
So, no one else has tried this yet? Also thinking of mounting a coil shock. Mainly because I want the bike to feel more 'capable' and match my 160mm fork.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
It's a no-go according to Fox. The yoke in which the shock is mounted is too long. Don't know about Cane Creek or Ohlins. If I were to take a guess, it's probably due to too long of a moment arm acting on the shock may mess up the shock (e.g. break it).

·
Registered
197 Posts
So, I have two responses:

DVO said don't do it because "side load action of the linkage can break the shaft on coil shocks"

Orbea said "Yes it is ok as long as it has the same dimensions"

·
Registered
20 Posts
So, I have two responses:

DVO said don't do it because "side load action of the linkage can break the shaft on coil shocks"

Orbea said "Yes it is ok as long as it has the same dimensions"
Who at DVO said no? The US guys. I fit one with the new black ebike shaft a month or so ago and it’s been fine, rider is 195lb and rides Whistler bike park hard

·
Registered
197 Posts
Who at DVO said no? The US guys. I fit one with the new black ebike shaft a month or so ago and it’s been fine, rider is 195lb and rides Whistler bike park hard
Robert at DVO is who I emailed with. Is that a special Jade X option? Didn't see any ebike version!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Got my dhx2 on my occam for almost a year now, no issues :) just pure joy and fun compared to the dpx2 (that is definitely not working on any occam, and that’s comfirmed by the techs at Fox)
My dhx2 is also slightly longer travel that the original shock (210x55)

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Got my dhx2 on my occam for almost a year now, no issues :) just pure joy and fun compared to the dpx2 (that is definitely not working on any occam, and that’s comfirmed by the techs at Fox)
Care to elaborate on dpx2s not working on the Occam, genuinely curious as what Fox techs have said?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,596 Posts
Why would the dpx2 not work? Has been fine for me, maybe if you are a heavy rider it won't.
It's a poor shock, you can't separate the compression from the rebound circuits due to the design. Even the float DPS is better in this respect, although it doesn't have the fluid volume to deal with more abusive riding. The current X2 is a much better design, damping wise.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,596 Posts
It's a no-go according to Fox. The yoke in which the shock is mounted is too long. Don't know about Cane Creek or Ohlins. If I were to take a guess, it's probably due to too long of a moment arm acting on the shock may mess up the shock (e.g. break it).
Yeah, a lot of manufacturers don't know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to suspension. They will often contract out the suspension stuff to a designer or engineer, but they really aren't trying to make the best performing bike, they are trying to sell bikes. This isn't nearly as bad as it was a few years ago, but there are still more than a few that throw **** against the wall to see what sticks, when it comes to the suspension and other design factors. Orbea is using the yoke to get around the seat-tube, but that can side-load a shock. It's a poor design, but some companies like Specialized sell so many bikes they can absorb bad decisions and it doesn't really affect the sales. EXT also has a reinforced E-bike shock. These are probably the best bet for coil shocks, the e-bike versions, just realize that they may still get issues down the road. The Super Deluxe is designed to be pretty sought with improved wall thickness, etc., so for an air shock, that can be a good choice. The good noise is the kinematics of the frame look decent for a coil.

·
Registered
197 Posts
And are you running the normal DHX2 or an ebike version as has been mentioned before?
Tempted to get the Jade X in 52.5mm stroke but don't see an ebike version!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you have photos of your setup? How is the longer travel in terms of stress on the frame and linkages? I'm curious about switching from the dhx2 over to coil for my occam and wanted to learn more about the fit before making a big purchase. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
8 x 16.43 mm is the correct measurement for the extender/yoke end. This is incorrect in Orbea's blue paper. They claim it is 8 x 15.748 mm which is too small and you shouldn't use that. I had to order a custom size mounting hardware kit for my Öhlins shock because the size of the extender/yoke is not standard. Thank you for that. I have asked Orbea what is the correct sizing but they haven't answered. I will update this thread in case I get more information.
I am about to buy a spare shock for my Occam 2020 myself and will inevitably face the same problems. I'm wondering where/how did you order the custom mounting hardware? Going for the rock shox super deluxe for now.

Thank you for the lengthy post by the way. 👌👍

·
Registered
133 Posts
Care to elaborate on dpx2s not working on the Occam, genuinely curious as what Fox techs have said?
I won’t elaborate on what the fox techs said more than I already did. But the dpx2 on the occam is always in the wrong part of the travel: too much air and too high in the travel, packing the back end, very stiff feeling (especially with the frame design), and drop some psi, now way too soft, too much travel used, where the shock can’t keep up with the hits (stiff feeling once again..). No magic tuning or settings will be as efficient as the coil on the occam unfortunately (fact)
It's a poor shock, you can't separate the compression from the rebound circuits due to the design. Even the float DPS is better in this respect, although it doesn't have the fluid volume to deal with more abusive riding. The current X2 is a much better design, damping wise.
I agree. I personally never liked the dpx2 (but hey, that’s just me!). But I do think it can still perform well on some bikes (like the sb130, although the infinity switch greatly helps…but also on bikes where the rider isn’t pushing his bike to the limit. See that’s maybe the issue with the occam (not really an issue per say) where this bike is so much capable of more with a Coil and 160mm up front…
I’m coming from a Rallon, so I can definitely see the occam with a Coil as a real mini-Rallon alternative, lighter, playful, yet planted into the ground, filtering anything you throw at it.

One more thing, keep an eye on the orbea site in the near future in the Occam section (after the new Rallon is released), and come back to this very thread after ;-) … (remember 160+coil…)

And are you running the normal DHX2 or an ebike version as has been mentioned before?
Tempted to get the Jade X in 52.5mm stroke but don't see an ebike version!
Normal

1 - 20 of 40 Posts