Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Marin Rift Zone 1 with 175mm crank arms.
I'd like to change my crankset for one with 170mm.
My question is about finding a compatible crankset.
I've reached to Marin for the full specs on the factory crankset, but it's been a week with no response.
Anyone have this info or just know of a compatible crankset for my bike?

Thanks!
Brandon

·
Murica Man
Do it for Dale (#3)
779 Posts
first, why do you want to change the cranks? chances are you won't notice the difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
first, why do you want to change the cranks? chances are you won't notice the difference.
170mm on the same bike with same seat height as mine alleviated knee pain that I've developed as a competitive powerlifter.
My knees don't hurt all the time or anything, only when I'm on the bike.
I thought simply adjusting the seat might help, but it just made it feel awkward with no reward in the knees.

·
Murica Man
Do it for Dale (#3)
779 Posts
170mm on the same bike with same seat height as mine alleviated knee pain that I've developed as a competitive powerlifter.
My knees don't hurt all the time or anything, only when I'm on the bike.
I thought simply adjusting the seat might help, but it just made it feel awkward with no reward in the knees.
okay that makes sense. what you can do is take off your cranks and measure how long the spindle is. this should help narrow down your choices...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Brandon! Did you ever replace your crank arms? I also have a 2020 Marin RZ3 with crank arm lengths of 175mm. I have been experiencing some right knee pain which I can not pin point the cause. I had no prior knee issues with my previous/older model MTB. Look forward to hearing back from you. Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Brandon! Did you ever replace your crank arms? I also have a 2020 Marin RZ3 with crank arm lengths of 175mm. I have been experiencing some right knee pain which I can not pin point the cause. I had no prior knee issues with my previous/older model MTB. Look forward to hearing back from you. Dave
Dave, I'll keep you posted. I ordered the Shimano XT Fc-M8000-B1 Boost Crankset with a chainring to match. I believe the existing BB is compatible.
The 170mm were backordered most places, so I ordered from Jenson since they had it on sale.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, I've got the Shimano XT Fc-M8000-B1 Boost Crankset, the Shimano XT M8000 SM-Crm81 32T Chainring, and I ended up going ahead and ordering the Shimano XT BB-MT800 Bottom Bracket just to have everything new and smooth. Spent less than $200 for all of it ordering from Jenson.
FYI, the stock BB fit just fine, but I had to remove the spacer ring from the right side to get the proper width.
Everything fits perfectly, but I haven't been able to take it for a ride yet due to weather.
I'll follow-up once I've spent some time riding with the shorter crank arms.

Brandon

·
Registered
11 Posts
So, I've got the Shimano XT Fc-M8000-B1 Boost Crankset, the Shimano XT M8000 SM-Crm81 32T Chainring, and I ended up going ahead and ordering the Shimano XT BB-MT800 Bottom Bracket just to have everything new and smooth. Spent less than $200 for all of it ordering from Jenson.
FYI, the stock BB fit just fine, but I had to remove the spacer ring from the right side to get the proper width.
Everything fits perfectly, but I haven't been able to take it for a ride yet due to weather.
I'll follow-up once I've spent some time riding with the shorter crank arms.

Brandon
Thanks for the update! I look forward to hearing how it rides!

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts