Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a band new bike (no rides yet) and noticed that the fork is reluctant to fully extend when there is no weight on the bike.

It will sometimes extend all the way and then sometimes it will get stuck at 10%.

It does this at 85psi which is my pressure according to the chart.

I can usually just give it a soft pull and it will extend that last 10%.

Ive read a few posts and can't tell if this is normal behavior or not.

Any ideas?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Doesn’t seem like too much to be concerned about, the spring force at top out is very low so won’t overcome the friction of new seals

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I have one not installed yet, 29/160mm and it measures exactly 160mm. I have no clue what the pressure it’s at now since I haven’t really touched it, so just another data point for you. got a pike ultimate for a friend 140mm and it was also measuring exactly 140mm stanchion

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just upgraded to the same internals as that fork, and noticed the same thing. Unless I'm misunderstanding what I've read about it, it's a side effect of the new negative spring volume and shouldn't affect your travel during riding use. It's leaps and bounds better than the Solo Air and MoCo damper that it replaced as far as control and comfort in rough terrain.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Yeah. It's normal. With self equalizing pos/neg chambers, the equal pressures ensure there's very little force extending the fork at full extension. There is a little force due to the cross section of the air shaft making the effective area of the piston less on the negative side, but it isn't much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts