Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to this and looking for guidance. On the 2020 Lyrik Select+ fork there is only a HSC dial. on many other bikes i’ve demoed there was always a LSC switch (admittedly they were fox) to make the fork firm or open. How is the LSC tuned on the Select?
I understand the Select is the lower end Lyrik with less options but is there such a thing to be able to almost lock out the fork?
Also, since this is the low end does it mean there is also no extra options like to attach a mud guard/fender? i don’t see any mounting holes on the fork?
I’ve tried to look for the manuals on SRAM/RS sight but it’s so generic that i’m missing something more specific to the select line.
thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah that's super confusing. I looked on the Rockshox website and saw that the pictures show a hsc dial and the description calls it lsc.

As for the mud guard, you'll just need to attach the fender with either zip ties or Velcro strips.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's super confusing. I looked on the Rockshox website and saw that the pictures show a hsc dial and the description calls it lsc.

As for the mud guard, you'll just need to attach the fender with either zip ties or Velcro strips.
The dial is labelled "Compression" with no reference to LSC or HSC. Mine has 19 clicks but i haven't experimented with it yet. I just can't find anything that discusses HSC or LSC tuning, it's like an all in one. Most of the documentation/manuals focus on there ultimate with the LSC switch and HSC dial.
I didn't expect the Select line to be so scaled down in terms of optionality. I may be wrong but i feel like FOX has these choices on comparable forks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Lyrik is RockShox' premium single crown gravity platform. IMO, lockout is not a feature that makes Lyrik a good fork for its primary purpose.

The compression adjustment implementation is (I think) a needle valve, providing an orifice for flow bypassing a shim controlled blowoff. Resistance in a port/orifice is quadratic meaning at higher speeds it rises sharply. If it doesn't get to blowoff you will perceive that as spiking on square edge hits.

When you adjust that compression dial, you get a different size orifice controlled by the needle valve. This would traditionally be considered an LSC adjustment. The blowoff point and progression is preset with the preload and shimstack configuration.

Rockshox have a habit of fitting their downspecced dampers with heavily preloaded, overly stiff shimstacks in order to implement a lockout when the compression needle valve is fully closed. This configuration is impossible to adjust for proper gravity use. I don't know if the Select+ Lyrik has this style of damper or something more appropriate for gravity use. There are many on this forum who'd rather have good adjustments for gravity use than a lockout.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've just serviced a Charger RC damper last night. Got it second-hand from someone who has taken it out of a Lyrik Select, so it's the OEM-only damper. It features a spring-backed IFP with a self-bleed port. The compression dial has 5 clicks and selects between five different diameter orifice ports (so no needle, but different size ports). Behind those ports lays a shim stack for high-speed blow-off.

The rebound side features a needle valve (controllable via the external red knob) and a high-speed rebound shim-stack with three shims.

Have to say, although a lot of parts are plastic, I'm pretty impressed what you get for the price.

Gonna put it into my aggro hardtails 160mm Yaris which are still on Motion Control (which sucks big time!).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Gonna put it into my aggro hardtails 160mm Yaris which are still on Motion Control (which sucks big time!).
Ok, I did so. Was an easy process. But what I found out was quite horrific. The seal-head of the MoCo seems to have blown (O-Ring on the rebound shaft) and the damper oil leaked into the lowers. That was probably the reason why I had so much progression. Anyway, won't change my mind that the MoCo is a piece of crap.

The OEM Charger RC is quite nice though, at least on first glance. Haven't taken it for a propper ride, but setup and car-park testing seemed very nice. There is very low stiction (I put SRAM butter on every O-Ring in the Charger), even though I'm still running the Solo-Air spring in this particular fork.

For the 80$ I've paid it was definitely worth it. I'll follow this up after a propper ride and try to compare it to my RC2 Lyrik.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.