Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm considering purchasing a mountain bike and am wondering about two different ones for my style, which is basic cross country e.g. local trail riding, fire roads and some street. Nothing too outrageous.

The first is a used 2020 Ibis Mojo 3 with these specifics: 2020 Ibis Mojo 3 XL frame with Fox Float Factory rear shock and Fox 24 Factory forks with Fit4 dampers. Wheelset: Ibis S35 alloy rims with Ibis hubs Brakes: Shimano Deore 4 piston with 180 mm rotors Drivetrain: Shimano Deore cranks, Derailleur, 11 speed Deore cassette and shifter Stem: Raceface Bars:One Up Carbon Grips: ODI Headset: Cane Creek Tires: Maxxis Agressor (Rear) and Minion DHF

The other is a brand new 2021 Giant Trance Advanced with these specifics: Fox 36 Float Rythm Fork, Fox Float DPS rear shock and SLX components.

Which bike do you think is the better one for yourself or for me? I'm a bit older and heavier rider, kind of built like a d lineman, and still enjoy riding mountain bikes. Had a Cannondale Super V 700 and Ibis Mojo in the past. Here are pics of both bikes. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
I think it would come down to your riding style and where you ride. The Trance is slightly longer than the Mojo. They are going to have different handling characteristics. If you're a heavier rider...the Fox 36 might be better suited to you than the 34. The Ibis does have a higher spec'd fork and shock.

So the drivetrain the Mojo also looks like its also 12sp. The Deore is one step down from the SLX.

Looking at the geo numbers...I'd take the Giant. Its actually pretty close to my current 27.5. Except that mine has a slightly slacker headtube angle.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Is anyone else around who understands the market value and is sincere?
The Fox Rhythm suspension on the Giant isn't really good. It's Fox cheapest stuff. No lockout on the fork and heavy. My 36 Rhythm weights 2300g.
Performance is mediocre at best. Also don't expect the 36 Rhythm to be very stiff. The different material used on the lowers makes it pretty flexy. Even my Pike is stiffer than the Rhythm.
The factory suspension on the Ibis is lighter and better.
But you will have no warranty on the Ibis .
The Giant has slightly better brakes and drivetrain, but upgrading that on the Ibis is cheaper than upgrading better suspension on the Giant.

I still would go for the Giant since, better geo, warranty and the rest of the parts. But would change the fork, or at least upgrade the damper on the Rhythm.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I think I'd rather ride and own a Grip damper than FIT4, particularly the newer narrow shaft FIT4.

Does the factory DPS have any performance advantage over whatever is on the Giant?

·
Registered
670 Posts
The Fox Rhythm suspension on the Giant isn't really good. It's Fox cheapest stuff. No lockout on the fork and heavy. My 36 Rhythm weights 2300g.
Performance is mediocre at best. Also don't expect the 36 Rhythm to be very stiff. The different material used on the lowers makes it pretty flexy. Even my Pike is stiffer than the Rhythm.
The factory suspension on the Ibis is lighter and better.
But you will have no warranty on the Ibis .
The Giant has slightly better brakes and drivetrain, but upgrading that on the Ibis is cheaper than upgrading better suspension on the Giant.

I still would go for the Giant since, better geo, warranty and the rest of the parts. But would change the fork, or at least upgrade the damper on the Rhythm.
My Rhythm has near full lock out or at least what I consider full lock out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts