Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was actually about to put a deposit down for the new Santa Cruz Hightower, but now I think I might wait until I can ride a new Reign first.

The reviewers whining about brake rubbing make me nervous, but... my first full suspension bike was Reign and that bike was seriously good. Seeing them finally put together a decent redesign is making me feel all nostalgic for my old Reign..

The Advanced Pro 1 build looks like a good value (way better than the build on the $5k Santa Cruz I'm considering). And you can't complain about all black.

·
Salt Lake City, UT
1,454 Posts
I think Giant nailed it with this one, finally. I've had two old 26 Reigns and always think about building another one. Every number on this one really hits the mark for me.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I have been waiting on this bike for quite some time. My first bike back in 03 was a Gaint VT1. I took parts from that bike and built an 05 Reign. Rode that bike all over the west for 10 years till the wheels fell off.

My son has a 18 Trance 27.5 which is an amazing bike. Im hoping the new Reign is that bike with big wheels.

Hopefully it was worth the wait for the last 2 years for this bike to come out.

Kinda of shocked there has been very little fan fair with the roll out compared when they released the Trance 29.

·
I live to bike
2,451 Posts
I'm planning on picking up a reign 29, not the advanced 0, though! It's probably more bike than I need, but looks like so much fun. I had an '05 Reign when it first came out. Loved that bike and am looking forward to riding a Maestro suspension again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was actually about to put a deposit down for the new Santa Cruz Hightower, but now I think I might wait until I can ride a new Reign first.

The reviewers whining about brake rubbing make me nervous, but... my first full suspension bike was Reign and that bike was seriously good. Seeing them finally put together a decent redesign is making me feel all nostalgic for my old Reign..

The Advanced Pro 1 build looks like a good value (way better than the build on the $5k Santa Cruz I'm considering). And you can't complain about all black.
I really wanted a hightower too but man the price and specs are way better on the Giant. Geo looks good on both bikes, both probably will descend really well and I bet with Giants stolen DW link they should both pedal decent too

·
TRANCER
2,782 Posts
I really wanted a hightower too but man the price and specs are way better on the Giant. Geo looks good on both bikes, both probably will descend really well and I bet with Giants stolen DW link they should both pedal decent too
Proof that they stole it? Or are you just repeating what you heard or read?

·
TRANCER
2,782 Posts
I was mostly just kidding, but I hope it is very similar. DW works great
My apologies. I remember when all that BS was going down. But you're right. They are both amazing design. I don't own a Giant atm but have had 2 Maestro bikes and IMO ahead of all the designs. Probably still the best. I bought a Santa Cruz Hightower but if I'd of known about a 29er Reign I probably would have waited.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My apologies. I remember when all that BS was going down. But you're right. They are both amazing design. I don't own a Giant atm but have had 2 Maestro bikes and IMO ahead of all the designs. Probably still the best. I bought a Santa Cruz Hightower but if I'd of known about a 29er Reign I probably would have waited.
No worries, I shouldn't attempt sarcasm online haha. How do you like the hightower? I've narrowed it down to it and the reign for my next bike. But I was told to wait until the new norco sight is released too

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I was so stoked for the new Reign 29 as well. I too had the original 05 Reign and loved it.
I was gonna pick up the AL Reign for a second big bike .

But then Ibis dropped the Ripmo AF. 3k for full DVO suspension

Just got back from Moab and my buddy had one. It rocked

·
Registered
147 Posts
Jwiffle, according to some measurements of M frame online, it looks like the virtual top tube is slightly shorter than specified and an effective seat angle is steeper.

https://forums.mtbr.com/giant/reign-long-travel-29er-1092593.html#post14358571

I am not sure how far are you with your build, but could you measure the effective top tube on L frame, to se how it correlates to the slightly shorter measurement on M frame?

Tnx

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.