Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

281 - 300 of 311 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hi guys! How is the paint on those nimble 9 is holding on? I'm thinking of ordering some frame protection for my new frame. Just not sure if I should just protect main area or go with a more complete wrap.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mine is a mantis green pinstripe, a few months old now. I had some minor chipping around where the dropout hardware clamps down as I've played with the CS length a few times and I found the dropper cable rubbing slightly on the downtube where it was unprotected. When I put it together I didn't have and still don't have anything other than some clear plastic tape in the potential high cable wear areas. Looks OK so far, but it's such a pretty bike it should have a little protection at least.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Can someone explain what's up with that bent tube between the top tube and seat tube? The one Steve from hardtail party had is small (which looks awesome), and the photos on the site it's way bigger (which is kinda ugly).

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Can someone explain what's up with that bent tube between the top tube and seat tube? The one Steve from hardtail party had is small (which looks awesome), and the photos on the site it's way bigger (which is kinda ugly).
The size of the bent tube varies depending on frame size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
658 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi guys! How is the paint on those nimble 9 is holding on? I'm thinking of ordering some frame protection for my new frame. Just not sure if I should just protect main area or go with a more complete wrap.
I taped up mine pretty well. Steel tubes are small and consistent in shape so it's easy/cheap compared to a carbon or aluminum bike. Some chipping at the dropouts, which is unavoidable but otherwise even the un-taped sections are holding up about as well as any other frame.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Does someone have experience riding the Nimble 9 with 140 and 160mm fork?The fork I found for my build is a 160mm Lyric Ultimate but I'm wondering if I should get it down to 140mm before I'm waiting for my frame... Since I have my Ripmo for burlier trail and want my hardtail to be more on the poppy/zippy side, 140mm was my initial plan...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Does someone have experience riding the Nimble 9 with 140 and 160mm fork?The fork I found for my build is a 160mm Lyric Ultimate but I'm wondering if I should get it down to 140mm before I'm waiting for my frame... Since I have my Ripmo for burlier trail and want my hardtail to be more on the poppy/zippy side, 140mm was my initial plan...
I got the DVO Diamond for my build, it's at 150mm. I considered riding it and then changing as needed, thinking maybe I wouldn't like the 150. Then I rode it and I decided not to change a thing! I do not know offhand what the axle to crown measurement is for comparison, but I think it will be awesome for what you describe with a typical 140 fork.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I got the DVO Diamond for my build, it's at 150mm. I considered riding it and then changing as needed, thinking maybe I wouldn't like the 150. Then I rode it and I decided not to change a thing! I do not know offhand what the axle to crown measurement is for comparison, but I think it will be awesome for what you describe with a typical 140 fork.
I wanted to get a Helm V2 fork to test easily between different travel but the price I got on that Lyric was too good to pass. It really makes sens to me that a shorter travel fork would give more stability (less dive in travel) on a hardtail. But if the 160 ride fine, I could wait first service to experiment

·
Registered
862 Posts
We’re on the same setup. I have a Ripmo V2 and a N9 w 140mm fork. I love the 140mm but it took some time to get use to the quicker steering. At 140mm the N9 is the perfect compliment for mellower terrain. 150mm would be my choice if I didn’t have a Ripmo but at 140mm it separates the 2 bikes nicely. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Anybody heard if the new frames are still on schedule to be here in April/May? With the way everything has been going I've just assumed it would be a least summertime but things seem to be settling down a little bit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anybody heard if the new frames are still on schedule to be here in April/May? With the way everything has been going I've just assumed it would be a least summertime but things seem to be settling down a little bit.
I was in contact with them today. Target for pre-orders is end of April.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 ·
Yes, we are still on track for receiving frames to our warehouse middle/end of April! We'll be getting Tilts and Lithiums around the same time, so we'll be very busy. Anyone who pre-ordered should be seeing bikes arrive to them around the end of April/beginning of May.

We'll be sending more detailed updates to pre-order customers soon, and we'll let you know if anything changes.

Thanks for the support!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have been slowly gathering parts for my nimble9 build. I have decided on the fox 36 fork with either 150 or 160mm travel, but am still wondering if I should go 44 or 51mm offset. I know the bike was designed around the 51mm offset, but I have been out of biking for a while. When I used to ride often we all still rode 26s lol. Can anyone with experience with the nimble9 give me a recommendations?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Never ridden one but I went a 140mm Marzocchi Z2 with the 51mm offset. Figured it would be better to go with the original design parameter and later try something different than trying something different off the bat without knowing what the bike was supposed feel like to begin with.

That said, I'm an old schooler too, if I had lots of experience with different forks I'd probably be more inclined to experiment but sometimes I find it's better to just stay in my lane till I learn more :D

·
Registered
658 Posts
I don't think it would do that much difference unless you could try back to back two identical forks except for the offset... That said, most hardtail ( and full suspension) with 66 degrees HA or less comes with shorter offset these days. I went with a 42mm offset Lyrik for my Nimble 9.

Not the same bike but Steve from hardtail party tried a rigid fork in bigger and shorter offset. His Middlechild is sold with 51mm offset but he preferred the shorter offset setting

The best read I had on the subject was on NSMB a while ago, particularly in the comment section. Lots of real life test from "normal" rider... NSMB.com - Short Fork Offset - What's It Good For?

I'm sure people here who have already time on their Nimble 9 in either offset will confirm that the bike ride great anyhow

·
Registered
107 Posts
Question while I narrow my search - for a complete build would the extra 1K for the carbon wheels be worth it?
It depends on youre riding style. Do you smash and bash? Then probably not. Xc style? Maybe. You can also get some cheaper carbon wheels for 1k ish anyway.

·
Registered
425 Posts
It depends on youre riding style. Do you smash and bash? Then probably not. Xc style? Maybe. You can also get some cheaper carbon wheels for 1k ish anyway.
Thanks. I emailed them and they got back to me in 5 seconds. New bike availability sometime this summer. My trails are Midwest aggressive xc ish. What is the advantage of carbon wheels weight or suppleness?

281 - 300 of 311 Posts