Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

261 - 280 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
You have to take in consideration the longer reach on more recent bikes. With a slack seat tube we would be too fare from the cockpit. You might have a transition period to getting used to the steeper STA. I went from an Intense spider 2013 73.5 STA to a Ripmo V1 76. You can feel the difference on the flat but the climbing position is so much better, and going downhill the long reach is amazing... When I try a bike with slacker STA (like my brother's Hightower and Spec Epic) it feels so weird and inadequate...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
You have to take in consideration the longer reach on more recent bikes. With a slack seat tube we would be too fare from the cockpit. You might have a transition period to getting used to the steaper STA. I went from a Intense spider 2013 73.5 STA to a Ripmo V1 76. You can feel the difference on the flat but the climbing position is so much better, and going downhill the long reach is amazing... When I try a bike with slacker STA (like my brother's Hightower and Spec Epic) it feels so weird and inadequate...
Thanks for the reply's Doug and Lewis. My FS bike is a Knolly Fugitive with 75 to 76 STA depending on which setting and fork length. I really like the slack mode with 75 STA and like you both said, it is excellent for seated climbing. The rub is riding on flat ground for any length of time starts to get uncomfortable with steeper than 75 degree STA's in my experience. If I was building a SS Nimble, the STA would not be of any concern to me. Since there is no way for me to ride before purchase, it's a bit of a gamble.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Thanks for the reply's Doug and Lewis. My FS bike is a Knolly Fugitive with 75 to 76 STA depending on which setting and fork length. I really like the slack mode with 75 STA and like you both said, it is excellent for seated climbing. The rub is riding on flat ground for any length of time starts to get uncomfortable with steeper than 75 degree STA's in my experience. If I was building a SS Nimble, the STA would not be of any concern to me. Since there is no way for me to ride before purchase, it's a bit of a gamble.
Yeah flat ground is not the forte of my Ibis as well. I think that's the only area where it's outshined by my smaller Spider. Have you tried to change your cockpit settings a bit (like more rise or backswept bars?)? I will ride my Nimble 9 with a 160 Lyrik which as even a taller axle to crown than a fox so it will slacken the sTA a bit. But for my riding I'll probably get the travel down to 140 or 150mm when it's time to service my fork... I'm trying Sqlabs 16 degrees backswept bars on my fat bike this winter. If I like them, I'll probably get a set for my Canfield

·
Registered
161 Posts
Has anyone run the new Nimble 9 with i45 rims, like Duroc 50 that come on Trek Stache?

I really enjoy the 29+ platform. The Stache is like a monster truck Ferrari.

I’ve got two sets of wheels built for my Stache and if I buy the Nimble 9 I want to make sure they’ll fit on the rear. I plan to increase the travel of the Yari 29+ fork I have too. I think most everything else should swap over OK too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm running Atomik CHUBBY43s which are 27.5 and 36ID, so not as wide as yours or 29, but no problem with 2.8 tires. Loving the plus setup. Great ride quality combined with the steel frame.

Has anyone run the new Nimble 9 with i45 rims, like Duroc 50 that come on Trek Stache?

I’ve got two sets of wheels built for my Stache and if I buy the Nimble 9 I want to make sure they’ll fit on the rear. I plan to increase the travel of the Yari 29+ fork I have too. I think most everything else should swap over OK too.

·
hardtail partier
1,058 Posts

I’ve got two sets of wheels built for my Stache and if I buy the Nimble 9 I want to make sure they’ll fit on the rear.
I love 29+ as well. I'm doubtful the N9 will fit 29x3.0 on a 50i rim. I wish it would, because that would make it even more amazing. I seriously doubt it'll fit a 29x3.0 in the full range of the sliding dropouts. You might get lucky and find a spot on the dropouts where it'll fit though. I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone gets any 29x3.0s to fit.

·
Designated Bleeder
320 Posts
Nimble 9 clearance

I have set up my 2020 Nimble both as 27.5 and 29er. I had 27.5x3.0's on 35mm internal width rims on it and it fit with the dropouts about 10mm back. I then switched to 29x2.6 on 30mm rims and left the dropouts in essentially the same spot. Plenty of room. I am guessing you could squeeze 29 x 2.8's in but that is probably the biggest. The problem comes in the width, not the depth. I am guessing even with the dropouts all the way back, you are probably going to get some rub with a 29x3.0 on a 45mm rim on the width of the chainstays. Of course, this depends on the actual size of the tire but I think there is a low probability that you can squeeze in a 29x3.0. Sorry.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
Up to 29 x 2.8 is our official recommendation for the rear.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My FS bike is also a Fugitive and I also considered a Middlechild. My main concern with the Nimble was the STA as well, but it's proven to be a non issue. Mine is set up SS but I spend a lot of time riding it with my 6 year old and/or pulling a trailer so I do no shortage of mild terrain and seated pedaling. The front end on the Nimble is so much higher than on my Fugitive that I don't feel like I'm falling forward on the flats at all. I've overall be thrilled with the bike. It's better than I expected to the point that I could almost get away with ditching my Fugitive.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have my eyes set on the N9. What is the consensus of the MRP ribbon air, I have seen a few bad reviews, I'm 174 lbs, 6 ft, ride mainly in Idaho with frequent trips to Utah and Bend....any thoughts on this fork...thanks

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'd get something else. Some folks have had good experience with it, but many have not. Mine has been back twice to fix a problem that still remains and needs to go back again as the leaky negative air chamber has now completely failed. The first two times the customer service was generally quite good (despite not fixing the problem), but this time around they've gone silent on me after initially responding. It's now been over two weeks since and multiple follow ups with no response. Hopefully all is ok there, but it's not a good look.

When the fork works, it's good, but not amazing. I like to support small companies but it's not worth the hassle in this case IMHO.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd get something else. Some folks have had good experience with it, but many have not. Mine has been back twice to fix a problem that still remains and needs to go back again as the leaky negative air chamber has now completely failed. The first two times the customer service was generally quite good (despite not fixing the problem), but this time around they've gone silent on me after initially responding. It's now been over two weeks since and multiple follow ups with no response. Hopefully all is ok there, but it's not a good look.

When the fork works, it's good, but not amazing. I like to support small companies but it's not worth the hassle in this case IMHO.

Agree with supporting small companies, thanks for the advise, I think I will look elsewhere too many bad reports on this fork, I like the adjustability and light weight but it has got to do it's job----need to do a little more homework, can't wait to get my N9!

·
Registered
176 Posts
It's too bad they aren't bundling the DVO forks anymore, I'm very happy with mine.

Loving my Nimble 9, I actually sold my FS bike a few hours ago! Maybe someday I'll get myself a Canfield Tilt!

·
Registered
257 Posts
It's too bad they aren't bundling the DVO forks anymore, I'm very happy with mine.

Loving my Nimble 9, I actually sold my FS bike a few hours ago! Maybe someday I'll get myself a Canfield Tilt!
When I bought my N9 they said there were a few fork brands they could get and pass some savings along on vs retail price. Might be worth a shot to see if they can still do something along those lines. It wasn't a screaming deal, but definitely better than what I could of bought a fork for at retail.

·
Registered
176 Posts
When I bought my N9 they said there were a few fork brands they could get and pass some savings along on vs retail price. Might be worth a shot to see if they can still do something along those lines. It wasn't a screaming deal, but definitely better than what I could of bought a fork for at retail.
That's a great point, I hadn't planned on getting my fork through Canfield, but they offer up such a nice deal I couldn't pass it up. I'm sure there's some flexibility there.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Agree with supporting small companies, thanks for the advise, I think I will look elsewhere too many bad reports on this fork, I like the adjustability and light weight but it has got to do it's job----need to do a little more homework, can't wait to get my N9!
DVO Diamond is what I got from Canfield at a very good price. I have 2 already. Good fork that is easy to service.

·
Registered
71 Posts
DVO Diamond is what I got from Canfield at a very good price. I have 2 already. Good fork that is easy to service.
Thanks I will check out DVO, do you know if there is much functional difference between the 1 and 2? Are there any more DVO fans out there, I like the prices and for me simple is good.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks I will check out DVO, do you know if there is much functional difference between the 1 and 2? Are there any more DVO fans out there, I like the prices and for me simple is good.
I think 1 is OEM only and 2 is direct to consumer. Call Canfield they can get you the best prices

·
Registered
15 Posts
261 - 280 of 293 Posts