Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

241 - 260 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Wondering if anyone has feedback on the new Nimble as a mullet? Think 27.5x2.8 rear and 29x2.6 front. 150-140mm 51mm offset fork.

I previously owned an EPO and ran it with 29 and 27.5 wheels, but not mixed. I would be okay with the slacker seat angle and lower bb for my usage. Light trail/urban/pump track etc.

·
hardtail partier
1,058 Posts
I know mullets are the hot trend right now, but there are only one or two situations in which i prefer a mullet setup on a bike.

1. Super steep downhills. It's a little easier to get my hips behind the bike and toss is around.

2. Steep trails with lots of successive twisty corners. Mullet bikes corner awesome, and the rear end comes around fast. On successive turns that are steep (like lift service bike parks) they're a lot of fun and fast. On flatter terrain, they just feel sluggish to me.

These are just my experiences, I'm sure others will have their own opinions. I also don't like a wider tire in the rear. I understand that motos have a wider rear tire but that's because of the massive power they put down, and how they steer with the throttle. On a bicycle, I'd rather have more traction in the front than rear when cornering. A wider rear tire means the front will wash before the rear, unless you're running a super slick rear tire with a meaty front.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know mullets are the hot trend right now, but there are only one or two situations in which i prefer a mullet setup on a bike.

1. Super steep downhills. It's a little easier to get my hips behind the bike and toss is around.

2. Steep trails with lots of successive twisty corners. Mullet bikes corner awesome, and the rear end comes around fast. On successive turns that are steep (like lift service bike parks) they're a lot of fun and fast. On flatter terrain, they just feel sluggish to me.

These are just my experiences, I'm sure others will have their own opinions. I also don't like a wider tire in the rear. I understand that motos have a wider rear tire but that's because of the massive power they put down, and how they steer with the throttle. On a bicycle, I'd rather have more traction in the front than rear when cornering. A wider rear tire means the front will wash before the rear, unless you're running a super slick rear tire with a meaty front.
How do you feel about 27.5 x 2.8 still when the BB isn't too low (IE not on a bike doesn't run this setup well).

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

Thanks for your experienced input on the subject. I was thinking 27.5/ 2.8 with less aggressive tread than the front 29er. Mainly for compliance from the tire. (also a way to slacken the seat tube angle a smidge). I figured that a 29x2.6 may have similar grip to a 27.5x2.8 due to greater contact patch (length) of the 29er. Nice to know how it actually worked for you. Weather to go 27.5/29/ss/geared is a bit of a conundrum for me on this frame. Goal is to have a good time in the winter months on shorter rides/urban/pump track year round.

BTW: I have been amazed to see what you regularly ride on your hard tails. After 30 years of MTB, there is no way I would be reaching for a hard tail riding the majority of what you do.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,026 Posts
Nice! Didn't think of using wax on the outside, I'll definitely be doing that. Have any pics of those chrome beauties?
Here is the '13 with normal use:
20180704_100609.jpg 20180603_135300.jpg

Here is the '13 prepped for sale (I seriously was just standing there looking at it for about 10 minutes):
20200501_162051.jpg 20200501_162236.jpg 20200501_162135.jpg

Switch! to '18.
20190831_153654.jpg

Add dropper (bike washing day, but can't take a decent photo):
20200627_184155.jpg

I never get tired of looking at it! :)

-F

·
hardtail partier
1,058 Posts
Weather to go 27.5/29/ss/geared is a bit of a conundrum for me on this frame. Goal is to have a good time in the winter months on shorter rides/urban/pump track year round.
The great news is that this bike is super versatile and great in all those modes. It's a win-win. You get 3 bikes in one with just a simple wheel or drivetrain swap.

BTW: I have been amazed to see what you regularly ride on your hard tails. After 30 years of MTB, there is no way I would be reaching for a hard tail riding the majority of what you do.
Haha, i know what you mean. No doubt, a full suspension is far more comfortable and appropriate for the trails i ride. You have to be a special kind of crazy to want to ride Sedona on a hardtail. I think it's a great place to really out hardtails through their paces, but yeah, a full suspension is my recommendation for this type of terrain. There are definitely times i grab a full suspension over my hardtail, especially when my body needs a break

·
Registered
34 Posts
I’m contemplating the chrome Nimble 9, especially with the BF deal but never had a chrome steel bike before so it sure if it takes more care or not. On my carbon fs I’ve used invisiframe on the whole bike and on my aluminum hard tail I’ve also protected stuff like the stays and the underside of the downtube, would that be advised on a chrome bike or not?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Went ahead and ordered a Cherry Cola today. Was going to order static but they're sold out now so red it is. Super excited. Spent much of last year deciding what to buy while saving up some money. In January with money in hand I was searching classifieds looking for a Chameleon until the mess hit the fan. After seeing the HP review decided I'd rather get in line for a N9 :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Anyone got a shot of the chainring clearance on a '20 model? I'm wondering if I can fit a Non-boost crankset/ring, and what size it might need to be. I'd be ok to go down as low as a 26T.

·
SNGLSPD
1,058 Posts
Anyone got a shot of the chainring clearance on a '20 model? I'm wondering if I can fit a Non-boost crankset/ring, and what size it might need to be. I'd be ok to go down as low as a 26T.
This is an oval 32, pretty tight

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Cherry Cola looks good but I’ve only seen it in pictures. The Staitic is gorgeous. Had one in my hand. If you want a large they will have one shortly. Sent mine back and now waiting on a Chrome one. It’s brand new. Never put a part on it. Just letting you know

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Does anyone have feedback on the effective seat tube angle at 77 degrees? Do you feel like you are weighted too far forward when riding flat terrain? This is the only part of this frame that is keeping me from hitting the pre-order button. I previously owned an EPO with an effective STA of 74.5 degrees and would not have wanted it any steeper for the type of HT riding I do. Want a fun do everything hard tail vs. owning multiple rigs for specific duties.

The other option I am considering is the RSD Middlechild in TI with a 74 degree STA and similar wheelbase. (and 31.6 seat post!) Big difference in cost, but pre-order wait times are April delivery for both in size Large.

Thanks,

·
Registered
176 Posts
Everyone is different, but I really like the STA. I haven't had experience on a bunch of different bikes like others have, but the geometry on this bike feels so right to me. It feels great climbing and the transition from seated to standing is easier/more natural than I've experienced before. With the dropouts slammed fwd for a 415 chainstay it's still rock solid.

241 - 260 of 293 Posts