Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ha. I didn't want to personally over saturate the thread; had a lot of posts in there and figured other ppl would start getting theirs n all.

Alright tho - I've ridden mine 5-6x a week since I got it so just figure about 20 rides. And I'll start with - I love it. Almost like it was custom built for me. XL fit and geo is perfect for me. Love the finish and looks. But onto the performance impressions....

I have pretty mashy-standy pedalling style compared to most - put down the power vs. lightly spin. The CBF does really well here considering 170mm travel and coil. It doesn't needlessly wallow and is surprisingly crisp at the pedals. On long climbs, I'll do the 'trail' mode on the JadeX. Fireroad - I was surprised that I liked the 'firm' enough to actually use it. Open is, obviously, most compliant and most bouncy but it isn't too far off trail and does well enough that I either forget or don't bother with changing the mode if its not sustained. Reminds me of my DW IBIS which was a rocket. I'm back to being able to actually boost-off things going up hill - which is sweet.

A surprise of the bike is how well it does on regular mtb trails. You do not need extreme terrain to enjoy this bike. If you like short-stays, this is right in line with that expected experience. I actually think its my best cornering bike. Keep in mind its still 170mm bike but it punches way above (below?) its weight here. Really really fun and not at all a drag to ride on well, everything.

In the chunk and downhill, I like the experience. I don't think its plow bike at all as it reacts to user input on a dime. It'll be interesting to see what others thing here - as you could say, there's less inherent stability vs. accentuated agility. Soaks up the bumps great tho - composed & predictable. So for me, it caters to people who want to pop and jib on terrain confidently vs. plow through with maximum stability at speed. I've notice no harsh bottom outs nor the suspension getting packed up. Interestingly - I noticed that I used a lot less front travel (20%) than compared to my Patrol - I've been wondering if it's cause I'm sort of jibbing off terrain vs. bombing thru now; maybe more rear wheel contact and landings. Another thing I noticed was the agility aspect allowed me to correct mistakes with on the fly reactions where previously if I misjudged my last bike more or less had me along for the ride. I feel very confident on this bike - intuitively know what I can do and have complete faith that my landings will be composed.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the great report, its exactly the type of info I was after. Do you think it is a "big" enough bike to compliment a modern short travel trail bike (Ibis Ripley V4)? Or does it sit comfortably in trail bike category?
Looking for a bigger mountain/park bike to compliment my Ripley. Also got a 2016 SS Nimble 9 (my baby) and a PBJ DJ/pump track bike to round out my quiver

·
Your bike sucks
2,121 Posts
Do you think it is a "big" enough bike to compliment a modern short travel trail bike (Ibis Ripley V4)?
Most certainly. That's what it is. If you want to the split hairs on category... Enduro/SuperEnduro not Trail. Mine is built for all around riding which includes lift-serve. Just happens to be spunky enough to enjoy on regular trails.

To add- a short travel is probably a good companion bike to have.. some people don't want to lug around bigger heavier bikes all the time. Alternatively, if you want longer legs and only one bike this is a good choice there too IMHO. I only have a AM hard tail and this bike now - I'm satisfied with that range but lots of ways to skin that cat.

Let's hear some other impressions - I'm talking too much.[HR][/HR]

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I’ve got the balance and a2018 nimble9 and still have my 2016 epo. Wish I would have kept my riot now. But oh well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
MRP Coil Edition Now In Stock!

Complete builds of the Canfield Balance are back in stock, now with an all-new MRP Coil Edition.

A locally sourced MRP Ribbon Coil fork and Hazzard Coil shock tame the roughest trails and offer the perfect complement to the patented CBF™ suspension. Industry 9 1/1 Enduro wheels and a SRAM GX 12-speed drivetrain offer the perfect blend of performance and reliability.

The MRP Coil Edition Balance is available in Deep Space, Desert Loam and extremely limited quantities of the Limited Edition raw polished frame with oil slick links.

SEE MORE OF THE MRP COIL EDITION BALANCE

Have something else in mind?
Drop us a line and let us build your dream bike!

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Very nice. 33 lbs is very good. I’ve got the same brakes going on mine. Like the stem. Just enough oil slick. Is that a Oneup dropper? What length? I have both 210 and 180 and haven’t looked at it close enough to see if the 210 will work yet.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Very nice. 33 lbs is very good. I’ve got the same brakes going on mine. Like the stem. Just enough oil slick. Is that a Oneup dropper? What length? I have both 210 and 180 and haven’t looked at it close enough to see if the 210 will work yet.
Thanks RoneMTBR

Yup it's a OneUp V2 180mm dropper - i can actually use a 210mm i realize (*edit my frame is an S size)... but no biggie

First pull of those Dominion brake levers and you'll know u made the right choice. No lack of power either. I would say they're stronger than my Hope E4s, which i've used exclusively on all my bikes for a few years (I really like the rebuildability of those). Might be time for a change!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks RoneMTBR

Yup it's a OneUp V2 180mm dropper - i can actually use a 210mm i realize (*edit my frame is an S size)... but no biggie

First pull of those Dominion brake levers and you'll know u made the right choice. No lack of power either. I would say they're stronger than my Hope E4s, which i've used exclusively on all my bikes for a few years (I really like the rebuildability of those). Might be time for a change!
Cool thanks. Should be able to run the 210. Bike is a large and I have long legs. Looking forward to the modulation of those brakes. Running Shimano for years. Very nice build. Now go get it dirty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
#23 LE getting partially stripped and polished. The summer sweat had made the frame start looking less than stellar. Using Mother’s mag and aluminum polish. Not a whole lot of rubbing required to clean her up. Love this bike!

·
Registered
57 Posts
#23 LE getting partially stripped and polished. The summer sweat had made the frame start looking less than stellar. Using Mother’s mag and aluminum polish. Not a whole lot of rubbing required to clean her up. Love this bike!

Very nice. Looking new again

141 - 155 of 155 Posts