Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
Your bike sucks
2,123 Posts
Rides as good as she looks...
Glad to hear you like it. You and katsooba have such blingy builds, I was feeling bad having my journey-man build be the only one on display for a while.

Can't make out your rear shock - what you have going on there?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Your build is solid!

It's a 2021 Fox DHX2 shock with a Ti Coil from Reactive Response Tech.

Wanted to run another Eleven Six, but doesn't look like they're doing any Canfield tunes at the moment. Fox feels great.

Glad to hear you like it. You and katsooba have such blingy builds, I was feeling bad having my journey-man build be the only one on display for a while.

Can't make out your rear shock - what you have going on there?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

Got my balance built today. Large frame i9 hubs flow rims fox transfer dropper Chromag bars and stem hole cranks and bb Trp evo downhill brakes with 203 rotors custom painted dvo sc onyx fork king head set wolf tooth post clamp stem spacers jadex and box one 11 spd deive train. Love at first pedal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
551 Posts
Wow! I'm seriously getting so damn jealous seeing all of these bikes! I've been so busy at work and then I finally had a few extra mins to build and my BB tool for my King BB was the wrong size! I ordered it and should be here tomorrow. Then...................it's game on!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
862 Posts

Got my balance built today. Large frame i9 hubs flow rims fox transfer dropper Chromag bars and stem hole cranks and bb Trp evo downhill brakes with 203 rotors custom painted dvo sc onyx fork king head set wolf tooth post clamp stem spacers jadex and box one 11 spd deive train. Love at first pedal

Love the purple fork with the polished frame!

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
How would this bike fair as a heavy duty trail bike? Built with ibis 742 wheels and 2.8 rubber?

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Thinking really hard about it. Anything special needed for cranks? No extra wide Q-factor or anything?

Bummer they don't have any more of the Jade X shocks in stock.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Wow, just noticed only a two year warranty. Is that just because they know these certain bikes are going to get the snot ridden out of them?

·
Your bike sucks
2,123 Posts
Thinking really hard about it. Anything special needed for cranks? No extra wide Q-factor or anything?
I'm running 168Q SRAM carbons with a proper amount of clearance.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
190 Posts
This thread needs some proper ride reports....how's it climb? pedal on the flats? handle tight twisty sections? Does it make the trail disappear or just takes off the edge? Hows the fit? Wish you sized down or up (I'm 5'10 so always between sizes).

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I’ve only had one real short ride on mine. Granted it’s to much bike for my local trails but **** it. I was blown away how well such a big bike climbs. Handling is spot on and makes the ruff stuff disappear. In a couple weeks I’ll have it at trestle and Moab

·
Your bike sucks
2,123 Posts
This thread needs some proper ride reports....how's it climb? pedal on the flats? handle tight twisty sections? Does it make the trail disappear or just takes off the edge? Hows the fit? Wish you sized down or up (I'm 5'10 so always between sizes).
Ha. I didn't want to personally over saturate the thread; had a lot of posts in there and figured other ppl would start getting theirs n all.

Alright tho - I've ridden mine 5-6x a week since I got it so just figure about 20 rides. And I'll start with - I love it. Almost like it was custom built for me. XL fit and geo is perfect for me. Love the finish and looks. But onto the performance impressions....

I have pretty mashy-standy pedalling style compared to most - put down the power vs. lightly spin. The CBF does really well here considering 170mm travel and coil. It doesn't needlessly wallow and is surprisingly crisp at the pedals. On long climbs, I'll do the 'trail' mode on the JadeX. Fireroad - I was surprised that I liked the 'firm' enough to actually use it. Open is, obviously, most compliant and most bouncy but it isn't too far off trail and does well enough that I either forget or don't bother with changing the mode if its not sustained. Reminds me of my DW IBIS which was a rocket. I'm back to being able to actually boost-off things going up hill - which is sweet. EDIT: I just thought of this - the STA is more slack than my Patrol, which I notice. So if you are a seated climber who is passionate about steep STA this is worth considering - no idea what it actually is, but it certainly more slack than my Stylus (posted 77) and Patrol (posted 77). Totally fine for me but thought it worth mentioning.

A surprise of the bike is how well it does on regular mtb trails. You do not need extreme terrain to enjoy this bike. If you like short-stays, this is right in line with that expected experience. I actually think its my best cornering bike. Keep in mind its still 170mm bike but it punches way above (below?) its weight here. Really really fun and not at all a drag to ride on well, everything.

In the chunk and downhill, I like the experience. I don't think its plow bike at all as it reacts to user input on a dime. It'll be interesting to see what others think here - as you could say, there's less inherent stability vs. accentuated agility. Soaks up the bumps great tho - composed & predictable. So for me, it caters to people who want to pop and jib on terrain confidently vs. plow through with maximum stability at speed. I've notice no harsh bottom outs nor the suspension getting packed up. Interestingly - I noticed that I used a lot less front travel (20%) than compared to my Patrol - I've been wondering if it's cause I'm sort of jibbing off terrain vs. bombing thru now; maybe more rear wheel contact and landings. Another thing I noticed was the agility aspect allowed me to correct mistakes with on the fly reactions where previously if I misjudged my last bike more or less had me along for the ride. I feel very confident on this bike - intuitively know what I can do and have complete faith that my landings will be composed.

Hope this helps.

121 - 140 of 155 Posts