Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

101 - 120 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Wow!!! That is gorgeous. I'm still enjoying my 2017 raw Balance. Able to clean sections that my buddies wagon wheels can't handle. Just last weekend, two of them that ride 29ers went otb on a chunky section where I was able to hop over the obstacles with my Balance. I like to give them crap and say aren't 29ers supposed to roll over rocks better. I know modern 29ers are great, we just like giving each other a hard time. I hope Canfield will do more production runs of the polish or even the raw. My raw alu still looks great after 3 years of hard riding. Will be getting another when the time comes. Congrats Carl!!

·
Your bike sucks
2,121 Posts
Ok - ride #1 is in the books on ol' 002. Hugely impressed.

I have to put this in some context. I completely rushed this build - it involved 2 donor bikes for part swaps and literally finished 30min before sunset. Was telling myself to set expectations low - nothing is sorted, need to adjust - that sort of thing.

I didn't get time to sort out the suspension - turn the spring until it didn't seem like it'd rattle loose, roughly count the # of clicks on the rebound...I don't even know where other adjustments would be...and here's the thing... It was better than my Patrol w/ the ElevenSix that I spent months fine tuning and adjusting.

Powered up the hills on full open, small bump sensitivity, magic carpet landings. It was fun to ride on a regular trail - snappy, responsive and not revealing it's 170mm travel. Maybe in a follow up, I'll contrast the ride experiences between the bikes if people want.

Happy with the fit too.

More to come, pics, impressions - oh yeah, my aluminium Patrol's final build weighed 35.9lbs (elevenSix, Smashpot coil lyric 170/180mm). Basically a full part swap onto the Balance - 34lbs on the button. XL for both. Booyah.

·
Your bike sucks
2,121 Posts
What shock are you using on your build today? Did you get the Jade-X already?
Yup. Comes in a box w/ the frame. Some of the info on Canfield's site threw me off as they listed HSC/LSC comp settings but that would refer to a Jade vs. a JadeX.

JadeX settings:

Coil Preload - guessing my sag is around 25% mark
Bladder Pressure - just recalibrated this to a bit over 180lbs
Rebound - I'm around 30 clicks out from full close (CCW)
3 way Comp lever - my entire ride was in open position, only tried Trail/Firm on the road

Everything was nicely packed (per usual). A bunch of goodies, swag and well wishes for being a pre-order.

I got caught a bit with my pants down yesterday, as I didn't expect that Fruita, CO to Durango, CO UPS would be so fast. The day previous I did a baseline ride on the Patrol - goal was to hit that same ride a few times so I could do a straight up comparison with the Balance; was thinking I have time for a few runs.

Anyway - different shake out trail on Balance yesterday but today, I'll hit that baseline-trail for some apples to apples. TBH it's a done deal and this is just information - the new kinematics here catered to me so obviously that I couldn't imagine reverting back to the Patrol. Yesterday's loop is something I've ridden 1000s of times and I know the Patrol's short-comings on it - none of which were present on the Balance.

EDIT:

A few pics. Forgive my cable routing - it's all temporary. Also - this is a borrowed dropper, this external one is my only 30.9 but I'll have a proper length internal routed one after I take some measurements.

IMG_0499.jpg
IMG_0500.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Finally! Nice looking ride :)

Yup. Comes in a box w/ the frame. Some of the info on Canfield's site threw me off as they listed HSC/LSC comp settings but that would refer to a Jade vs. a JadeX.

JadeX settings:

3 way Comp lever - my entire ride was in open position, only tried Trail/Firm on the road

Everything was nicely packed (per usual). A bunch of goodies, swag and well wishes for being a pre-order.

I got caught a bit with my pants down yesterday, as I didn't expect that Fruita, CO to Durango, CO UPS would be so fast. The day previous I did a baseline ride on the Patrol - goal was to hit that same ride a few times so I could do a straight up comparison with the Balance; was thinking I have time for a few runs.

Anyway - different shake out trail on Balance yesterday but today, I'll hit that baseline-trail for some apples to apples. TBH it's a done deal and this is just information - the new kinematics here catered to me so obviously that I couldn't imagine reverting back to the Patrol. Yesterday's loop is something I've ridden 1000s of times and I know the Patrol's short-comings on it - none of which were present on the Balance.

EDIT:

A few pics. Forgive my cable routing - it's all temporary. Also - this is a borrowed dropper, this external one is my only 30.9 but I'll have a proper length internal routed one after I take some measurements.

View attachment 1347643
View attachment 1347645

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Awesome to hear the first ride was already a success—build looks great!

Good catch on the Jade vs Jade X settings. We'll get that updated.

JadeX settings:

EDIT:

View attachment 1347643
View attachment 1347645

·
Registered
551 Posts
Jealous you got your's built so quickly! Mine will probably have to wait until this weekend....but I'm right behind ya. Very nice man!

·
Your bike sucks
2,121 Posts
Awesome to hear the first ride was already a success—build looks great!
Thanks! You guys make great bikes.

Today's ride really put it through the paces - bit of everything. People might see the 170mm and think "plow bike" but I think it's quite lively and playful. Unicorn all-rounder.

Jealous you got your's built so quickly! Mine will probably have to wait until this weekend....but I'm right behind ya. Very nice man!
Wuz on it like white on rice. Looking forward to hear your impressions. Here's one last pic, more in it's element:

IMG_0501.jpg

·
Your bike sucks
2,121 Posts
Come on new Balance owners... the Nimble crowd is really out pacing us with build reports. :)

Also - I'm well in triple digit miles on this bike, feel free to ask me anything if you are deciding to buy one.

I'm really happy with it btw. Not only better than I hoped it would be, but better than I thought it could be.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That’s because I already got the nimble 9. Waiting on a fork for the Balance. Told them they could ship everything together. Was supposed to get a DVO Onyx. They said they could get the ZEB next week in grey. Didn’t know when the Onyx would come. I said ok till I saw it in gloss black. I’m waiting till they get the gloss black ZEB!

·
Registered
453 Posts
just a quick question, anyone planning on running the Balance with the 157mm option? 230x60 rear shock?

also wanted to share a quick update with my frame :) still in the wrappings waiting on a couple of parts to arrive.

hopefully new updates will come soon

IMG_20200715_155150-01.jpg
IMG_20200715_154943-01.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Good to hear. My ‘16 Balance is still my favorite bike ever. So better than that is great. They’re waiting on a fork before they ship mine.

101 - 120 of 155 Posts