Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone else feel the 2020 bikes are a lot more expensive than previous years? Look at the spec you get on the new Giants, Specialized, Trek, Norco for example. These bikes are a lot more expensive than previous years and the components are becoming cheaper and lesser quality. Also the new Trek Fuel EX 9.8 is $1000 AUD more expensive than last year. Mid-priced mtbs are now pushing premium price however the quality of the components is decreasing as a trend such as SX/NX Eagle and Rockshox 35 Forks/ Fox Rhytms etc being sold on more expensive bikes. Is there a reason for this or are bike manufacturers just getting greedy? I thought the introduction of the budget components would bring prices of bikes down, not increase prices and offer lower spec.

These big brands lost my business. I'm now buying Canyon.

·
Registered
ya like dags?
5,276 Posts
I ride rigid SS 99% of the time anyways, but I have officially bowed out of the full suspension market at this point. You can't touch anything for under $3500 these days, and that is with junk wheels and a junk drivetrain. I used to have no problem spending $3000 or so on a full squish when they came with XT, but dropping that much coin for something with NX or lower and Formula hubs just isn't worth it.

I suppose if I were the kind of person that spent a ton of time researching every little micro change in geometry and getting excited about it then maybe I would feel different, but honestly I just want to ride my bike. I don't care if you increased the reach by 1.2mm and slackened the head tube by .5 degrees. These things are not improving my riding experience, and therefor are not worth an extra $500-$1000.

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
Can someone provide examples? Is this a problem specific to the United States or is it global now? How much of this is just inflation in general and how much of it is something deeper?

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Its the tariffs that are affecting the prices, although the president said that China is paying for the tariffs.
Example, my company has some parts made in China, only because to have those same parts made here are at least 50% higher priced. We received a letter from our Chinese supplier that any new orders would include a 25% increase due to the tariffs, which we will absorb a small percentage and pass along the rest to the consumer. This will have a major impact on some of our sales.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Yeah...I'll very honestly admit that I don't necessarily fully understand it all but I have heard anecdotal stories about bike companies that just recently moved production from Taiwan to China and basically are getting burned by tariffs and have no choice but to pass on price increases.

Either way, there's no question that the ceiling is way higher now -- meaning top of the line builds are crazy expensive for incremental gains (and frankly the pricing just follows down from there, so everything is more expensive). Ten years ago I would not have really thought we would be talking about builds being over $10,000 but here we are.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
MTBs *are* too expensive, it is tough for a novice to get into the sport.

However, if you are smart about it, you can save a lot of money and still ride a good bike. Ride used, buy unknown brands, buy bikes that are "last year's model" when they are on sale. Don't waste money on name brand riding kit, wear wicking tee shirts and flannels, and a pair of hiking baggies with a pair of bike shorts underneath. No need to spend $100 on Fox shorts. Etc, etc.

For example, I saw this bike at a local REI last week. $2100. Yes, $2100 is a lot of dough, but this is a lot of bike as well: https://www.rei.com/product/146073/ghost-framr-47-al-bike

You don't have to spend $5000, you could rip any trail or bike park on that bike.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
The 2020 Giant Trance 29 Pro 1 is $5200 in the U.S. (cheaper than the 2019 was).

The 2019 Giant Trance 29 Pro 1 was $5400, I think....though now it shows it was $5250 - but it's on sale for $4462.99 (weird price, great value!)

The Pro 2 is also on sale in the 2019 flavor (and the 2020 model is cheaper than the 2019 was as well).

There are some pretty great sales going on, now.

But, there are some absurdly expensive builds out there, for sure. Anything with Eagle AXS is ridiculously expensive....the groupset alone is $2000!

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
I just bought and Ibis Ripmo GX build. Seems to have been last of the 2019 builds as shortly after I got it price when up by $200 or so. Frame only price is the same, but the GX build went up and some parts swapped. I noticed my frame says "Made in Vietnam". So I wonder if pricing change was due to components from Sram, shimano, etc all made in china and taking into account tariffs (or expected tariffs), but no change in frame since it is not from china.

Even so bike prices are sky high, but there are two reasons for that. 1) bikes are getting better so more technology drives up costs 2) Consumers are still paying. I can say since my personal economy is doing well I could afford to drop that kind of money on a "toy". If we as consumers stop buying then bike pricing will be forced to change.

·
Banned
1,328 Posts
Most cost effective and motivational healthcare I ever bought......
Never understood how the same people who love taxes hate tariffs.....
I view paying a higher tariff on Chinese imported bikes as much more Patriotic than buying a flag......

Reactions: Sparticus

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
Someone please find a try apples-to-apples comparison. Find a bike from 2019 and the 2020 model that have a comparable frame and component spec. Have the prices gone up significantly? Some of the price increases you see are because newer bikes have fancier parts on them.

Joe above me is right though. Keep all this in perspective: the bicycles we're talking about are luxury items that only 1% of the world's population can even dream of owning. The prices are high partially because people are willing to pay that much, that's how a market works. The prices are as low as they are partially because manufacturers find workers who are willing to work for peanuts in factories that are often subject to lax environmental and safety regulations. Keep that in mind before you get to feeling entitled and upset.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,178 Posts
I'm with SingleSpeedSteven above.

What pisses me off most is the high cost, combined with all the SRAM **** that is attached to all these bikes. My XO Eagle drivetrain on my Druid is pure **** compared to the 11 speed XT Shimano drivetrain on my Honzo. That SRAM drivetrain is a disincentive for me grabbing the Druid over the Honzo. Same goes for the Guide Ultimates versus the XT 4 pots (and no - mine do not have a wandering bite point).

Getting an NX drivetrain and Level brakes on bikes in the $5,000 range is laughable.

Unfortunately, it looks like SRAM still owns the OEM market for the 2020 releases.It just adds insult to injury when you have to rip and replace, thereby adding to an already obscenely high initial cost.

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
Do American manufacturers like Guerrilla Gravity and Moots have to raise prices? Or are they still subject to tariffs on raw materials? Or is the market for raw materials going up regardless of origin?

·
Registered
ya like dags?
5,276 Posts

However, if you are smart about it, you can save a lot of money and still ride a good bike. Ride used, buy unknown brands, buy bikes that are "last year's model" when they are on sale. Don't waste money on name brand riding kit, wear wicking tee shirts and flannels, and a pair of hiking baggies with a pair of bike shorts underneath. No need to spend $100 on Fox shorts. Etc, etc.

For example, I saw this bike at a local REI last week. $2100. Yes, $2100 is a lot of dough, but this is a lot of bike as well: https://www.rei.com/product/146073/ghost-framr-47-al-bike

You don't have to spend $5000, you could rip any trail or bike park on that bike.
I truly believe that the mtb market is massively inflated, for one reason or another. I don't buy the "it's too expensive for beginners" argument though. There are quite a few lower level hardtails and single speed bikes that you can buy off the shelf that are plenty affordable for people to jump into the sport. What's too expensive, are the bikes that the industry (and fellow mtbers if we are being honest) are telling new riders they need.

When I first got into mountain biking, I bought a cheap SS Cannondale and rode it until I knew for sure if I enjoyed the sport or not. Somehow, the industry has convinced that new riders that they NEED a $3500 full suspension to get the full experience. Which is total nonsense.

·
Registered
17,476 Posts
mtb's are kind of expensive but a novice can get into it for $1,000 or less no problem. "Needing" a $4,000 bike is a first world problem for sure.

Do American manufacturers like Guerrilla Gravity and Moots have to raise prices? Or are they still subject to tariffs on raw materials? Or is the market for raw materials going up regardless of origin?
Raw materials are affected but they also need all the components. Tariffs have for sure raised bike prices significantly.

I view paying a higher tariff on Chinese imported bikes as much more Patriotic than buying a flag......
...of course :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
I noticed my frame says "Made in Vietnam". So I wonder if pricing change was due to components from Sram, shimano, etc all made in china and taking into account tariffs (or expected tariffs), but no change in frame since it is not from china.
I think the SRAM manufacturing is in Taiwan. Also, Giant moved manufacturing there as well, to avoid tariffs.

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
I'm with SingleSpeedSteven above.

What pisses me off most is the high cost, combined with all the SRAM **** that is attached to all these bikes. My XO Eagle drivetrain on my Druid is pure **** compared to the 11 speed XT Shimano drivetrain on my Honzo. That SRAM drivetrain is a disincentive for me grabbing the Druid over the Honzo. Same goes for the Guide Ultimates versus the XT 4 pots (and no - mine do not have a wandering bite point). ....
I used to be Shimano drivetrain guy. Had them for years. Then got used bike with a 3x9 about 3.5 years ago. Front XTR shifter/derailuer, but SRAM 9speed X01 rear. Man that was slick. Then picked up another bike with 3x10, but converted to 1x10. SRAM X01 rear again. Really liked it. Then moving to 1x11 I did alot of research and number crunching. The SRAM 10-42 X01 and up cassettes are amazing. Sure expensive, but light and very effective. That 10t is really worth a lot despite needing new hub drivers. And XD works well too. So given that I wrote off Shimano as the 11-46 cassette is both heavy and poor ratios. But I have never liked Sram brakes. I have run then on some bikes and ditched them all for Shimano XT or XTR. My Ripmo has GX drivetrain and I was concerned, but frankly it works nice. Sure the GX cassette is heavier than XO1, but for big bike like the Ripmo I can live with it. I have no experience with the new microspline shimano stuff, but I hope it works well because Sram needs solid competition in the 12speed market. If not they can just charge what they want. The better Shimano stuff gets the better pricing will be as they compete.

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
I think the SRAM manufacturing is in Taiwan. Also, Giant moved manufacturing there as well, to avoid tariffs.
I don't want to get political, but that is part of the idea of tariffs on china only. Drive manufacturing to other locations. If you can avoid the tariff by going to Taiwan and other guys are still in China you might get cost advantage.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
I don't want to get political, but that is part of the idea of tariffs on china only. Drive manufacturing to other locations. If you can avoid the tariff by going to Taiwan and other guys are still in China you might get cost advantage.
I wasn't talking politics. Just pointing out where this stuff is made. My SRAM chain was made in Portugal and my Ice Tech rotors in Japan. I quit looking after that. But you are absolutely correct, the manufacturing goes to low cost alternatives when possible.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.