Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Since there aren't many review on new Balance, I am wondering if any current owner can chime in. I would like to use it for pretty much everything, easy trail to bike park runs with some decent jumps. I am sure it can handle bike park just fine. If anything, I will be the one holding it back. However, I am wondering how well it works on trail riding, say even on XC trails. Is CBF suspension that good for pedaling? I am sure it will be little heavy side, but I am not racing XC with it. I just want to be able to maintain the flow of the trail like a short travel bike. I am also considering Revel Rail, but I would like to get aluminum frame. Every time small rocks hit my carbon frame down tube, I always wonder how long before I crack it....
I appreciate any input. Thank you.

·
Your bike sucks
2,126 Posts
Howdy. Balance owner here. I think it does a great job pedaling for a 170 coil bike. I ride it on regular trails all the time and love it - opens up different lines and/or jib choices.

So for you maybe its about expectations? Sounds like you already know it won't be a feather weight and not doing hot laps at the next XC race.

So - no, it's not a punishing slug that you'd dread riding on regular trails.

I don't have Rail experience - it's still a long travel bike (165) but maybe some carbon weight savings and I think they spec an air rear shock.

You remind me tho - I need to pen a review on Canfield's website; been meaning to do that - normally I don't put much effort into subjective reviews but the Balance has been a gamer changer for me so it really warrants it.

·
Professional Noob
711 Posts
I'll chime in. My first "real" bike was a Cannondale Jekyll, single pivot suspension with a trick "climb mode" that reduced the rear travel from 160mm to 90mm. My life depended on that climb switch, but I could still enjoy a casual singletrack ride okay.

Now I have a 2016 Balance, and it pedals and climbs orders of magnitude better than that "climb" mode. I've done about five hundred miles on it and not once touched my climb switch(es). The first few rides I was all freaked out and thought I'd over-pumped the shock or something too. It's that good, and there is absolutely no compromise on the downs or chunks.

CBF really is worthy of its hype. It feels super lively and super efficient and ultra grippy. You can have your cake and eat it. It doesn't punish you at all if you want to have a chill ride on some XC stuff—The only drag will be from the weight of the bike and your choice of tire. I take my Balance on chill rides all the time without issue. The only thing I hate doing is sand, and that's because my big tire knobs are like boat anchors in sand.

To put it another way—I could never keep up with my riding buddies when climbing on my Jekyll. On my Balance I can either match or beat most of them now.

The Rail feels largely the same but with the added glitz of the carbon ride quality and less weight. It's more planted than the 2016 Balance because of its longer wheelbase, but I imagine that the Rail and the 2020 Balance would feel almost the same in terms of handling. You'll love either one.

Convinced yet?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bought my first Balance as my DH bike instead of renting a DH at the park. Loved it so much I started riding it all the time. It handled everything better than my trail bike, which was a ‘13 Santa Cruz TBLT Carbon with Enve wheels that was probably 5 pounds lighter. The Canfield pedaled better, climbed better and definitely went down better. Jumped a lot better too. It made me a better rider. At least made me feel like a better rider. I had so much more confidence on every trail. I liked the way it pedaled and handled so much and liked the way my 29er Tallboy rolled over everything that I bought a Riot. The Riot is good but not a playful as the Balance. Balance is still my favorite bike I’ve ever ridden. Including all my friends bikes and multiple test rides. That why I bought a new one. Running the new one with the ZEB at 180mm. You really can’t go wrong with the Balance or Canfield in general. Lance Canfield says if he’s on a ride that he doesn’t know the trail or what to expect then he brings the Balance and it will take care of whatever the trail has to offer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a 2016/17 Balance for three years and now a 2020. Love it. I live in Colorado and have ridden them on everything from my typical after work rides to all sorts of all-day epics in the high alpine keeping up with friends on shorter travel carbon bikes. CBF is the real deal. It pedals like a much smaller/lighter bike than the numbers suggest.

You can read some reviews on the official 2020 thread here: https://forums.mtbr.com/canfield/2020-canfield-balance-limited-edition-1127187.html

And on the previous gen. here: https://forums.mtbr.com/canfield/canfield-brothers-2016-balance-997110.html

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Anybody know frame weights of Riot vs ‘20 Balance? Without shocks for equal comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts