Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What has everyone heard for rumors for 2020 model year bikes that are either ground up new or redesigned?

What we have seen so far:
GT Force
Giant Reign
Specialized Epic HT
Kona Process 134

What’s coming soon:
Santa Cruz Tallboy 4(excited to see what this brings!)
Rocky Mountain Slayer
Specialized Enduro
Kona Hei Hei

What have others heard rumors of?

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
A bike that has 29" wheels. Some will be hard tails. Some will be full suspension.

I seriously doubt there is anything new exciting or innovative for bikes in 2020 nor will there be for many years after that.

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,947 Posts
I think suspension manufacturers should offer a adjustable offset fork that can be tweaked with a single tool or built in tool.

As far a frames they will just move the numbers around, little more here little less there...

Little stiffer here more compliant there...
bushings here bearing there...
steeper kinematic curves here linear there...
cables in, cables out, cable in a slot, cables without.

Larger OEM negative air chambers...

So on and so on and so on...

·
Registered
665 Posts
Awesome pop, amazing performance, revolutionary new design that makes everything before it obsolete! New geo - shorter, steeper and higher bottom bracket to fix those pedal strikes and 13 speed drive train Bluetooth/WiFi wireless cable less AI enhanced because 12 speed Electronic is so outdated.

Better get your order in now so you can get some riding in before it becomes obsolete next year.

Seriously though, all sporting equipment has relied heavily on marketing to generate sales and there is a lot of hype in all sports. On the positive side equipment has evolved to state of the art and the stuff we ride now really is pretty friggin awesome. The other advantage of marketing hype is some enthusiasts will always upgrade and create the used market for “last years “ technology that is bargain price for the savvy shoppers. No complaints here 😉👍🤙

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,819 Posts
A bike that has 29" wheels. Some will be hard tails. Some will be full suspension.

I seriously doubt there is anything new exciting or innovative for bikes in 2020 nor will there be for many years after that.
Yawn, you clearly don't follow industry news. Lots of weird new technologies and designs continue to be tested by new small manufacturers. Will they all be winners and stand the test of time? No.

This has existed since the bicycle was invented, and will continue as long as it exists.

I think suspension manufacturers should offer a adjustable offset fork that can be tweaked with a single tool or built in tool.
This is an interesting idea I've not heard mentioned before. It would be fun to be able to adjust it but with all the variety of forks available it's not that hard now, just costs some more money.

As far a frames they will just move the numbers around, little more here little less there...

Little stiffer here more compliant there...
bushings here bearing there...
steeper kinematic curves here linear there...
cables in, cables out, cable in a slot, cables without.

Larger OEM negative air chambers...

So on and so on and so on...
If you don't think geometry is changing (for the better), you haven't ridden a variety of modern bikes. I hear this a lot from old curmudgeons.

I'm sure we can count on new buzzwords.

Reach and seat angle are hot topics now...It only makes sense that hypotenuse will be the next hot word the cool kids are using.
Really? More? I don't want to replace "playful" or "poppy", without those how will I know how a bike handles?

more money to spend, more mansplainin on da intanets, more toxic middle age man behavior tryin to overanalyze bikes.
Yikes, that's a lot of negative man stuff. Why is overanalyzing toxic? It's a hobby. For some it's fun to discuss with others, share experiences and knowledge, and stoke. Why is that a bad thing?

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,947 Posts
This is an interesting idea I've not heard mentioned before. It would be fun to be able to adjust it but with all the variety of forks available it's not that hard now, just costs some more money.
I'm all for wrenching and spending money on bikes but swapping forks out is not really the concept. We are talking flip chip design for quick different setup choices ala buzz works. Google Morc40

If you don't think geometry is changing (for the better), you haven't ridden a variety of modern bikes. I hear this a lot from old curmudgeons.
Oh I have and love it. Own/Owned Sultan,Following,RipMo,Stumpy, META TR29. Didn't mean to sound negative, Ill talk geo, tweaks and setup ALL DAY LONG.

We all have our own style and capability much of which is dictated by our terrain of choice and local. That said, different strokes for different folks, just find the company that can provide your stroke.

Colorways is an arrangement usually 2 or more....orange/gray, purple/yellow.... ORBEA got a nice program going. Personally I like gray-scale, flat black preferred. Ill take raw AL as well or unpainted carbon lay-up thank you ;)

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Yawn, you clearly don't follow industry news. Lots of weird new technologies and designs continue to be tested by new small manufacturers. Will they all be winners and stand the test of time? No.

This has existed since the bicycle was invented, and will continue as long as it exists.
Oh I follow. But nothing earth shattering for 2020 or the near future I would assume.

We already have disc brakes, electronic shifting and dropper posts (wired and wireless), a big of selection shocks and suspension forks, Geometry designed around the type of trails that a person rides etc.

My best guess is someone might try and push wireless brake system. Personally I would stay away from electronic stuff on MTB. Don't want to rely on batteries or having to charge them.

The only innovative thing that I have seen lately in the bike industry is Spot's Living Link suspension design.

·
Premium Member
10,729 Posts
Oh I follow. But nothing earth shattering for 2020 or the near future I would assume.

We already have disc brakes, electronic shifting and dropper posts (wired and wireless), a big of selection shocks and suspension forks, Geometry designed around the type of trails that a person rides etc.

My best guess is someone might try and push wireless brake system. Personally I would stay away from electronic stuff on MTB. Don't want to rely on batteries or having to charge them.

The only innovative thing that I have seen lately in the bike industry is Spot's Living Link suspension design.
Have any of the developments year by year actually been earth shattering?

In my mind, earth shattering is something like the Trust fork, before that maybe the Lauf, but the ideas are old, it's just the presentation and function that made them better.

Longer and better droppers that don't cost as much as a fork (OneUp)

Carbon frames that are durable, locally made, and have good customer service (Guerrilla Gravity).

In terms of frame design and geometry, it's all just micro changes, nothing ground breaking. Same could be said for suspension design, pretty much tweaking stuff that already works.

The ability to change the headset position to increase/decrease ETT is pretty cool (Guerilla Gravity and some other company??)

I can't say the electronic components is all that, most folks won't spend more for a product that does the same thing, weighs the same, is more fragile, and can't be mcgyvered sans power.

Ebikes, if you're into that sort of thing, are evolving, getting lighter and more mainstream.

So yeah, biggest new thing for 2020: Colorways

·
Registered
12,873 Posts
I'm sure we can count on new buzzwords.

Reach and seat angle are hot topics now...It only makes sense that hypotenuse will be the next hot word the cool kids are using.
I have been pushing Effective Downtube for a long time. Seriously. Hypotenuse of the reach and stack. Tells you a lot about the size of a bike. Look at the geo on several bikes of the same nominal size from different brands and the EDT varies a LOT.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.