Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

Anyone with a 2020/2021 Slayer running a mullet setup? I have a large 2020 with 29er wheels and will bump up the fork to 180 and am curious to try a mullet setup. Trying to figure out if that's a GO with my 29er frame or if the 27.5 frame has a different rear triangle or linkage parts. I asked RM but their response was useless. I can't see them have different frames for the different wheel sizes given the small production numbers for this bike

·
Registered
346 Posts
The 27.5 is a separate frame. If it was the same frame you'd see more adjustability and slightly different published geometry - like how the Maiden had an additional slot to run the axle and brake lower to account for 26" wheels out back and a headset cup out front.

If you want to mullet a slayer and still have somewhat normal geometry, you need to start with either a 27.5 slayer or put a big stinking rear tire on the 27.5 rim out back - like how you'd swap between a 2018-2020 pipeline and instinct. Maybe you can get a 27.5x2.6 out back to work if you put the bike in full steep - this might compensate for the BB drop and angle slackening, but I doubt it would be enough.

And this wasn't a small production numbers bike for Rocky... it was their best selling model this year! Unless you mean Rocky's small size in general.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your thoughts. I think bumping up front travel to 180 and set it in steep might be ok but I'll just test it out. They don't offer large 27.5 frames for 2021 so mulleting is difficult then. Also those 18 point engagement rear hubs....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts