Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are some reports online, but looking for a little more "personal" ones.

The 29er is at the top of my list and am curious to hear any opinions as I won't be able to demo on for a bit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One Speed has a ride report.
Right. I appreciate that, but I’ve seen all those. Hoping to chat with folks on here instead of a professional opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interested as well. Have an opportunity to pick up a 2020 134 DL or a early used 2017 134 DL and am interested in hearing opinions on the new bike.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I did get to do a shop ride today on both the 29er and 27.5.

The 27.5 was a small and the 29er was a medium.

Both were the DL versions.

First--Though it was only in the parking lot, I was able to get a good feel for the fit. The 27.5 in a small felt a bit cramped. Not knocking it, but it was noticeable. I've been a small in every bike I've owned, so I was taken back a bit. I could have made it work, but would really like to try it in a medium before I plunk down the cash.

The 29er in medium was spot on! Again, even though it was in a parking lot, I could tell it was the right fit. Standover was just a bit high for me, but that's how it goes in life with a short crotch! (I'm 5'5" on a good day with a 29' inseam)

I won't go into too much detail as it won't mean much without a dirt ride, but these bikes are awesome! The DL colors in person are much better than online. The 27.5 green is killer!

·
Registered
63 Posts
The DL colors in person are much better than online.
Hey, what is your opinion of the 134 DL "Sunset Orange"?
Shop owner here said Kona rep told him the 134 DL was more pink than orange.
Color looks great online.

I took out the base 134 29 for a few hours.
It handled great but just could not get the suspension close to what I was looking for.
Really loved the Green though.

It was only a first ride...
I got front wheel stuck in rock gardens I usually had no problems with.
feedback through the bars was excessive over roots and rocks.
Descending was fun popping off roots and climbing was good.. but the low end shock seemed to have some bob on steep climbs.
The 32t front ring was an issue in steep punchy climbs too, just could not get the push.
Easily solved with a 30t or 28t ring.
Felt awesome through some tight twisty single track.

Swing arm just broke on my 2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite last night. t
Stopped me dead in a rock garden. Happily it did not happen on a downhill section.
Have been shopping, but now need to buy.
Just had not found anything I liked as much, my fish was an awesome all rounder.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
8,561 Posts
One Speed has a ride report.
Right. I appreciate that, but I’ve seen all those. Hoping to chat with folks on here instead of a professional opinion.
I didn't know I was so professional. When should I expect my check in the mail?

OP, this is what he was talking about. https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/kona-process-134-29er-1110903.html

I've posted a few of my thoughts in some other threads but that one is the most thorough. It's absolutely awesome.

IMG_8654.jpg

·
NedwannaB
12,760 Posts
Post bump!

So, I did get to do a shop ride today on both the 29er and 27.5.

The 27.5 was a small and the 29er was a medium.

Both were the DL versions.

First--Though it was only in the parking lot, I was able to get a good feel for the fit. The 27.5 in a small felt a bit cramped. Not knocking it, but it was noticeable. I've been a small in every bike I've owned, so I was taken back a bit. I could have made it work, but would really like to try it in a medium before I plunk down the cash.

The 29er in medium was spot on! Again, even though it was in a parking lot, I could tell it was the right fit. Standover was just a bit high for me, but that's how it goes in life with a short crotch! (I'm 5'5" on a good day with a 29' inseam)

I won't go into too much detail as it won't mean much without a dirt ride, but these bikes are awesome! The DL colors in person are much better than online. The 27.5 green is killer!
Didn't see your end result posted. Did you end up getting one? If so 27.5 or 29? I'm similar in size to you @5'-6" and checked out both wheel size in small over the weekend and surprised at it's crampedness aswell. Unfortunately no mediums in the shop in either alloy or carbon only an XL CR/DL! Just looking at the base $2400 model as I have a new(ish) upper tier drivetrain,fork & wheelset I could swapout from current bike in order to sell it as a complete.

With all that being said and thread getting bumped up to the top, anyone out there on a '20/'21 alloy 27.5 model care to chime in with some critique?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I’ve got some time on my Large 134 CR/DL- nearly 1000 miles this season. I should mention that I made a significant wheel upgrade to Crank Bros Synthesis E11’s with I9 Hydra hubs upon purchase. I also installed OneUp bars, dropper, and bash on it right at the start, so my impressions are filtered through some really nice kit.

I should also mention that I’ve been exclusively riding hardtail 29ers for the previous 7 seasons. My last full suspension bike was a 2008 Santa Cruz Blur LT. I would imagine that coming from where I’m coming from, any modern full suspension 29er would feel like a revelation. But still, the this bike has been a game changer for me.

I live in NE Vermont, 15 minutes from Kingdom Trails, so I have plenty of different types of terrain to test this bike on. The Process 134 is a great trail bike capable of doing it all. Its great for kid’s rides on Darling Hill, laps the Burke Bike Park, 30 mile epics, and even climbing to the Burke Mountain summit and then descending Rude Awakening, a pretty legit enduro/DH trail. While the bike park and summit trails push the 134 into territory that might be more easily tackled with a bigger bike, it still handles that stuff with ease. To me, that is the beauty of the 134: It can not only handle varied trails for miles and miles, but it feels like just the right bike on wide variety of trails. It’s a great climber and an amazing descender. Even with chunky DHF’s, I feel like climbing is easy on this thing. It loves 20+ mile rides with 3000’+ vertical, and day-long rides are a joy. It is a true do-it-all bike.

I’m a bit of a nerd/wrench and really appreciate the details of the 134 CR/DL. While I haven’t had to tear it down yet, the tubes-in-tubes cable routing is really cool. The seat tube length allows me to get full use of my 180 dropper, and the girth of the tubes and rocker inspire confidence. But most importantly- the fit and feel- are spot on. While I’ve certainly been micro-dialing all of the touch points and suspension numbers and dials, the bike has felt like mine since day one. It just rides like a bike should. Its comfort makes longer rides possible. My legs and lungs will give out before my back and hands do. The handling is intuitive. The short stays just rips turns! The suspension also seems to have a wide window of adjustment in which it feels good. Yes, it’s lively and poppy, but it can also plow better than anything I’ve owned before. I am riding features that I’ve never attempted before, and straight-lining gnar that required me to dial it back in years past. While I’m historically susceptible to the next best thing, I look at this bike and think that it could serve me for many years as is. We’ll see if that holds true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts