Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got 1997 GF Big Sur and am outfitting it as a street cruiser (read: Bar Bike). I am ditching the front shifter, but leaving the mech as a chain guide, adding some riser bars, and I want to replace the grip shifter for the rear mech with trigger. I got an 8-speed Shimano trigger to go with the 8-speed Shimano mech and cassette. Already made the purchase, but before I get started, anybody have any experience marrying parts that are 20+ years apart? The pull should still be the same? Right?

·
Bikes in jeans
2,384 Posts
I just got 1997 GF Big Sur and am outfitting it as a street cruiser (read: Bar Bike). I am ditching the front shifter, but leaving the mech as a chain guide, adding some riser bars, and I want to replace the grip shifter for the rear mech with trigger. I got an 8-speed Shimano trigger to go with the 8-speed Shimano mech and cassette. Already made the purchase, but before I get started, anybody have any experience marrying parts that are 20+ years apart? The pull should still be the same? Right?
Should be fine. All of the 8 speed stuff was standardized, so unless you acquired some truly weird components, it should all work just fine. Not sure what crankset you have, but woolftooth and a few others make narrow wide rings for older cranks. Might be a bit cleaner than using the front derailleur.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Heck it is a bar bike. Plenty of cheap chineses narrow wides or name brand singlespeed rings for 104bcd cranksets. If you wanted it cleaner. No need to chain retention. I have run 1x9 on my family ride bike with zero issues with a singlespeed chainring.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. The parts are definitely standard, so that leads me to believe I will be fine. I def would like to get rid of the front mech at some point, so a NW chainring may be in my future. I run an Absolute Black on my MB, and have had a 104bcd Wolftooth in the past, and I loved them both, so we will see. Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.