Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1741 - 1759 of 1759 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Trance owners, I’ve been riding an old school XC hardtail (72hta) on mostly XC trails here in southern Ontario, but find myself caught very flat footed on some more tech downhills segments ive been exploring. I was thinking of getting a “downcountry Xc” bike like an Epic Evo but specialized is sold out in Canada for 2021. I did manage to find a trance advanced pro 29 1 in my size though. How do you feel that bike pedals very some or the more XC leaning bikes such as the epic evo or scalpel se? It’s obviously more than enough bike for descents, just hoping it’s not much of a penalty on efficiency. Interestingly weight wise the epic evo comp and adv pro 29 1 are similar weight becasue the giant has superior components for a similar price.
Honestly it’s a fantastic all around bike. I’m also in Ontario and for our trails it’s a perfect bike. Super poppy playful and acceleration is great. The biggest upgrade or change that I recommend is change the tires. The dhf and dhr2 are just a little to slow for fast xc riding. I went with Bontragers xr4 front and rear and it really made the bike fun and fast.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks, do you also have the short travel version? The advanced pro 29 1 seems to have a Maxxis Aggressor rear tire which seems to roll faster than the DHR2.

Honestly it’s a fantastic all around bike. I’m also in Ontario and for our trails it’s a perfect bike. Super poppy playful and acceleration is great. The biggest upgrade or change that I recommend is change the tires. The dhf and dhr2 are just a little to slow for fast xc riding. I went with Bontragers xr4 front and rear and it really made the bike fun and fast.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,743
Thanks, do you also have the short travel version? The advanced pro 29 1 seems to have a Maxxis Aggressor rear tire which seems to roll faster than the DHR2.
I have the Trance Advanced 29 Pro 1 which has 115mm of travel. Great bike, and I like some of the upgrades in 2021, like Performance Elite suspension front and back.
One of the first things I did on that bike was put an Aggressor on the back and it was a big improvement over the DHRII.

The longer travel option is the Trance X Advanced Pro 29 at 135mm of travel. So, a different bike. All the Trance 29's are 115mm rear travel, I believe.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you for your insight, I'm glad to hear the Aggressor helps. I ordered the bike that was in stock and picking it up in a couple days. I just hope the flat ground pedaling and fire road climbs aren't too hard for me to keep up with my hardtail friends on! :)

I'm coming from a 2007 cannondale f2 XC 26er hardtail, this will be a huge change

I have the Trance Advanced 29 Pro 1 which has 115mm of travel. Great bike, and I like some of the upgrades in 2021, like Performance Elite suspension front and back.
One of the first things I did on that bike was put an Aggressor on the back and it was a big improvement over the DHRII.

The longer travel option is the Trance X Advanced Pro 29 at 135mm of travel. So, a different bike. All the Trance 29's are 115mm rear travel, I believe.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thank you for your insight, I'm glad to hear the Aggressor helps. I ordered the bike that was in stock and picking it up in a couple days. I just hope the flat ground pedaling and fire road climbs aren't too hard for me to keep up with my hardtail friends on! :)

I'm coming from a 2007 cannondale f2 XC 26er hardtail, this will be a huge change
You'll be having too much fun on the downs to care!

·
Registered
12 Posts

Lucky you. I ordered a Trance 29 3 in January and was told to expect it at the end of June by Giant Toronto. Luckily I ordered before the prices all went up this past week by $200 but the wait is killing me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm in Toronto to, but I found the bike at Giant Vaughan online. Picking it up today!... I unfortunately paid the "stupid tax" of waiting a couple days longer and paid $6599 for the Trance Advanced Pro 1 instead of $6299 which it was listed till end of January at. Still a good deal considering the bike is $5500USD in the states. Giant Canada pricing is awesome.

Lucky you. I ordered a Trance 29 3 in January and was told to expect it at the end of June by Giant Toronto. Luckily I ordered before the prices all went up this past week by $200 but the wait is killing me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm in Toronto to, but I found the bike at Giant Vaughan online. Picking it up today!... I unfortunately paid the "stupid tax" of waiting a couple days longer and paid $6599 for the Trance Advanced Pro 1 instead of $6299 which it was listed till end of January at. Still a good deal considering the bike is $5500USD in the states. Giant Canada pricing is awesome.
I saw that they had one still in stock at Vaughn according to the Giant site, wish I had an extra $3K. Enjoy the bike, I'll keep riding my old 99 Stumpy until I get the new bike. Hopefully it comes earlier but not holding my breath. Mostly ride the Don trails and the Stumpy is okay for them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes I have the regular trance 29 130front 115 rear.
So I also tried the aggressor on the bike as well but the Bontrager xr4 still blow that tire away.Honestly I have a shop full of tires (tire nerd)
You will love the bike and it will handle everything. I took it out to Quebec as well and it handled all the elevation perfectly 50 min climbs with super aggressive downs. The carbon rims definitely have a few battle scars on the sides but zero damage on the rim bead area.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nice! Sounds like you ride much heavier stuff that I ever will. I'm more hoping the pedalling efficiency is good for XC stuff. I know it will breeze anything chunky I will throw at it.

Yes I have the regular trance 29 130front 115 rear.
So I also tried the aggressor on the bike as well but the Bontrager xr4 still blow that tire away.Honestly I have a shop full of tires (tire nerd)
You will love the bike and it will handle everything. I took it out to Quebec as well and it handled all the elevation perfectly 50 min climbs with super aggressive downs. The carbon rims definitely have a few battle scars on the sides but zero damage on the rim bead area.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,751
I just hope the flat ground pedaling and fire road climbs aren't too hard for me to keep up with my hardtail friends on! :)
I'm in Utah. In the Wasatch Back area we have some really buff trails that climb about 3000 feet. I always ride with the rear shock in the open position and I never lock out the front. I've tried it closed and my times didn't improve. I also ride Moab, a lot, and of course ride in the open position there as well. Decent tires (I have moved on to Continental Black Chili tires, but there are lots of options) have a huge impact, particularly on the rear for climbing efficiency. Just don't "mash" the pedals and you really won't lose enough efficiency for it to matter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Interesting, the DPX2 doesnt even have a full lockout anyways it seems? You can just "firm" it up. I guess the maestro design is good enough that you dont lose much to pedal bob.

Yeah Ive hear amazing things about the conti race king rears for XC, but probably even a cross king would be a better compromise for traction/rolling resistance. I might one day get a seperate set of wheels for XC riding.

I'm in Utah. In the Wasatch Back area we have some really buff trails that climb about 3000 feet. I always ride with the rear shock in the open position and I never lock out the front. I've tried it closed and my times didn't improve. I also ride Moab, a lot, and of course ride in the open position there as well. Decent tires (I have moved on to Continental Black Chili tires, but there are lots of options) have a huge impact, particularly on the rear for climbing efficiency. Just don't "mash" the pedals and you really won't lose enough efficiency for it to matter.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Still very happy with my Trance :)
I've been building some features in our local trail/woods that's close to the town and testing it out.

It's a perfect bike for me, very enaging and fun to ride while not being dull on the small stuff but still capable to hit anything I'd want to ride.

The bike and components are holding up great, as you know I changed shock from Fox DPX2 to DVO Topaz 2 which has been a massive upgrade to the feel and composure of the bike.
Formula Cura brakes have been trouble free, GX Eagle works great with correct B tension adjustment (definitely do that while sitting on a bike and not unweighted), TRX-1 wheels have been through a lot but they're holding up great, Pike is fantastic, BikeYoke dropper works great too but I'll send it for upgrade and service soon. I'm very happy with Hans Dampf / Rock Razor combo - it's a great fit for the bike and makes it very fun and fast to throw around while still providing enough grip, climbing traction is excellent too.

I got the Stone Oval chainring which is great, looks really high quality and cost me half as much as Absolute Black or SRAM. It has XSync2 tooth profile which should help longevity.

The only thing that got broken is SQ Lab 611 Active saddle which had a rail break clean off but I welded it and SQ Lab was very nice sending me a replacement saddle despite me not having a receipt for it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nice looks good! I picked up my bike yesterday and noticed one thing strange, i could hear from noise when i spun the wheels. I think there are fragments of carbon inside the TRX-2 wheelset from when they drilled the spoke holes. Giant said to bring the wheels back and they will blow out the fragments for me. More of an annoyance than anything, I guess production in Taiwan has been under too much pressure lately!

[QUOTE="MarinCRO, p

The only thing that got broken is SQ Lab 611 Active saddle which had a rail break clean off but I welded it and SQ Lab was very nice sending me a replacement saddle despite me not having a receipt for it.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Finally made it through reading this entire thread, I want to thank you all for documenting your experiences it been really helpful in me getting my head around setting this bike up. Was a bit worried that my dpx2 took 275psi to hit 25% sag (200lbs riding weight) but that seems to be normal. Here is a pic of the new toy. The pic doesn’t do the paint job justice, it’s really interesting looking (chameleon Mars).
735E84AA-DE84-4F02-AD4D-1E57CC3A5E84.jpeg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Finally made it through reading this entire thread, I want to thank you all for documenting your experiences it been really helpful in me getting my head around setting this bike up. Was a bit worried that my dpx2 took 275psi to hit 25% sag (200lbs riding weight) but that seems to be normal. Here is a pic of the new toy. The pic doesn’t do the paint job justice, it’s really interesting looking (chameleon Mars).
View attachment 1918276
Damn that looks great. They still have one at Vaughn and I'm trying to figure out how to convince myself to spend that much money LOL

·
Registered
35 Posts
two questions I have for the veterans here:

1) does anyone have any tool kit store suggestions on the trance 29 frame? maybe a saddle bag that works with the dropper? just need to carry the essentials on shorter rides without a backpack

2)any places on the frame that are bad for wear and tear other than the drive side chain stay? I have some 3m paint protection film I was going to put on some spots in the rear triangle next the tire and any places that look like they could get dinged quickly, but wasn't really going to bother with full frame protection

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am using the Wolftooth B-RAD Roll-Top Bag. It fits perfectly above the shock, holds a tube, hanger, chainlink, etc perfectly.

For me frame protection is on the downtube (2019 aluminium models do not have anything there) and on the side of the chainstays (heel rub).

Stefan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks, will have to check that bag out! also, sides of the chainstays is a good call!

I am using the Wolftooth B-RAD Roll-Top Bag. It fits perfectly above the shock, holds a tube, hanger, chainlink, etc perfectly.

For me frame protection is on the downtube (2019 aluminium models do not have anything there) and on the side of the chainstays (heel rub).

Stefan

1741 - 1759 of 1759 Posts