Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1721 - 1740 of 1761 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Would you mind sharing what exactly was the causing the blow up problem with the Topaz 2. What did they do to try to fix it each time under warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I did not get exact details as I took it to my LBS and they shipped it off as it was under warranty without looking into it themselves.

To give you an idea - first time around there was this sudden grind/friction in the shock and the open/mid/firm settings stopped working. Shipped off and on return LBS said something about shaft replacement and rebuild so off I went again.

About 6 rides later suddenly felt real soft and there was oil all over the place. Sent away again - was advised it was rebuilt and new seals put in. another 5-6 rides and exactly the same happened. Sent away and once again and same answer. Then another 5 rides or so and oil seemed to start coming from around the rebound knob. Was riding along flat singletrack, no rocks/drops/jumps, just nice and flowy and suddenly felt like I was really sliding around a bit - as it turns out it was the shock that gave up again...

That's when LBS contacted Giant. No questions asked from them and will replace with shock of my choice.

it's a pity as the DVO Sapphire on the front is absolutely amazing.

·
Registered
291 Posts
So - DVO topaz blew up 4 times in 3 months. Not doing anything spectacular to make it happen either... Mate's bike doing the same (both on 2019 Advanced 0). And have read numerous accounts of this happening online. (Don't get the Topaz 2...)

Fixed up under warranty x3 and now Giant happy to replace with any shock of my choice.

Anybody know more about suspension and can comment if a coil will work on the Maestro of the Trance 29?? There are some brands with 165x42.5 out there...

Thanks!!
11% progression according to Linkage Design. Don't think a coil will work too well with that:

Giant Trance 29'' 2019 - Linkage Design

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry, I did not get exact details as I took it to my LBS and they shipped it off as it was under warranty without looking into it themselves.

To give you an idea - first time around there was this sudden grind/friction in the shock and the open/mid/firm settings stopped working. Shipped off and on return LBS said something about shaft replacement and rebuild so off I went again.

About 6 rides later suddenly felt real soft and there was oil all over the place. Sent away again - was advised it was rebuilt and new seals put in. another 5-6 rides and exactly the same happened. Sent away and once again and same answer. Then another 5 rides or so and oil seemed to start coming from around the rebound knob. Was riding along flat singletrack, no rocks/drops/jumps, just nice and flowy and suddenly felt like I was really sliding around a bit - as it turns out it was the shock that gave up again...

That's when LBS contacted Giant. No questions asked from them and will replace with shock of my choice.

it's a pity as the DVO Sapphire on the front is absolutely amazing.
I'm experiencing the opposite . . . my Topaz 2 has been reliable but I don't like my Sapphire 34. The OTT adjuster winds on its own. I contacted DVO and they sent me a 3D printed plastic cap to go over the adjuster but it doesn't work. I played around with that fork a bunch and am ready to move onto something else.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
After several rides on my DVO Topaz 2 it's still holding strong. I actually removed all the volume spacers as I didn't feel I needed them and removed the travel spacer limiter as well.
Shock rides so good, very smooth and still very supportive and doesn't sag into travel on climbs, very poppy feeling and still plenty of traction. I might experiment adding volume spacers and dropping the pressure slightly to see if I'm able to keep the same sag with same bottom out resistance.

·
Registered
88 Posts
After several rides on my DVO Topaz 2 it's still holding strong. I actually removed all the volume spacers as I didn't feel I needed them and removed the travel spacer limiter as well.
Shock rides so good, very smooth and still very supportive and doesn't sag into travel on climbs, very poppy feeling and still plenty of traction. I might experiment adding volume spacers and dropping the pressure slightly to see if I'm able to keep the same sag with same bottom out resistance.
How did you take the travel spacer out?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Currently running a Minion 2.5 up front and a Rekon 2.4 out back. When they become available again, I think I'll go for a 2.4 Dissector up front

·
Registered
306 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does anyone else have issues with rear brake cable rattle? I have a 2020 29 2 (the 2020 thread is dead) and the there is definitely play in the downtube for the rear brake cable and it can get annoying. I end up pushing or pulling the cable multiple times during my rides to try and quiet it down. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Get some of the Jagwire foam cover for the cable. I've run it over all the cables that go through downtube. Did the same on my Revolt gravel bike. Both are super quiet now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Trance owners, I’ve been riding an old school XC hardtail (72hta) on mostly XC trails here in southern Ontario, but find myself caught very flat footed on some more tech downhills segments ive been exploring. I was thinking of getting a “downcountry Xc” bike like an Epic Evo but specialized is sold out in Canada for 2021. I did manage to find a trance advanced pro 29 1 in my size though. How do you feel that bike pedals very some or the more XC leaning bikes such as the epic evo or scalpel se? It’s obviously more than enough bike for descents, just hoping it’s not much of a penalty on efficiency. Interestingly weight wise the epic evo comp and adv pro 29 1 are similar weight becasue the giant has superior components for a similar price.

1721 - 1740 of 1761 Posts