Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1701 - 1720 of 1761 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
My medium comes with a 40mm stem, whats a good 50mm stem to go with on this bike?
Should i just order the contact 50mm stem like the large size come with?
Nothing wrong. with the contact stems. Especially while your working out your cockpit.

In the long run it probably depends on what bars your running. Personally I find the CNC’d stems too stiff and tend to stick with forged stems.

·
Registered
62 Posts
TRX 1 spoke lengths

Anyone know what sizes of spokes the Giant TRX 1 wheels use? I keep breaking rear non-drive side spokes. I got my local shop to replace a broken spoke and they replaced it with a different brand spoke. Very next ride another spoke broken despite paying them to true the wheel :mad:.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Got myself new Topaz T2 for cheap. Let's see which one is better.

I've also built up my Newmen / ZTTO wheels and they came up to 3700 grams with Hans Dampf / Rock Razor combo with Formula rotors but without sealant and cassette.

Interestingly enough, TRX1 with Specialized Eliminator/Slaughter combo and lots of sealant with Centerline rotors and GX cassette weigh 4950gr.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Update on the DVO Topaz 2.
Didn't get to ride it yet on the trails, but around the house after I set it up.
To get around 25% sag seated I used 320PSI, quite a bit but still less than DPX2.

Rebound knob only has about 7-8 clicks and they have much bigger impact than on the Fox. I set it up in the middle and feels very good, there's no bouncing when pedalling or riding off a curb. There seems to be less pedal bob as well.

I set the bladder to 180 PSI for test.

There's one amazing thing about the DVO - the 3 position adjuster has great feature that when set to "climb" it rides higher than when set to trail or open.

This means that while my sag seated is let's say 25%, when climbing it easily gets up to 35-40% or even more, but with the switch set to climb it will actually ride much higher and sag would be at around 15% on the climbs.

Looking at the "DVO" logo on the stanchion, when the shock is set to 25% sag, O-ring would be in the middle of logo or well under when climbing, but when climb switch is active, O-ring keeps well above the logo.

This is pretty great because you're in much better positon when climbing.

I still have to test it on trails and see about the durability but it does look good.

Attachments

·
Registered
680 Posts
Looks like a interesting test you are doing MarinCRO.

From my own experience my Topaz 2 constantly lost air pressure and developed shaft leak and this was likely due to shock alignment issues as per DVO. Research reveals that riding under pressured can damage DVO shocks and need to check pressure before every ride. I’ve never done this is the past so seems kinda tedious thing to do.
I recently had the shock overhauled and upgraded to the thicker seal head which supposedly helps keeps things straight (er). Time will tell I guess how well it holds up and fingers crossed as I paid for this service as I don’t have original ownership warranty.
I’ve also noticed I need to take shock pressure all the way up to 275psi for it to attain my desired sag and platform. I believe 300 is max so you might want to check that MarinCRO.
I weigh 167lbs.
My friend who rides trance w FOX DPX2 has had no issues.

I’ve moved from 50mm stem on to 60mm and still maybe thinking going 70mm. 760 bars. 5’7 long arms on a medium.

I’m a bit over forked on a DVO diamond 140 travel. Front feels a bit too high and notice flop which I don’t like. Descends like a champ but everything else feels like I’m fighting the front end when turning and up steeps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
I haven’t had any issues with my topaz.
I setup at 28% with 235 in the main chamber and 190 in bladder. 2/2 for volume spacers.

Tip: make sure you cycle the shock during inflation to equalise the cambers. The port location does not enable automatic equalisation.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I got a ride around town today, no trails but urban riding, some steps, small drops off a curb etc.
Shock feels really nice, firm and supportive but doesn't blow through travel unlike DPX2. I haven't touched spacers yet so I'm unsure how many there are.
Right now it feels great, very "racey" and I was surprised to see that I only used half of the travel but felt like it soaked up steps and jumps great.
There's travel reducer in the shock and I'll have to cut it away but I'll ride few rides with it in first to see how it performs.
Climbing position is great, with climb switch it stays up high and it's much easier to climb like that.

If it holds up, I'll be very happy with Topaz, there are no clunking noises like on the DPX2.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Update on the DVO Topaz 2.
I'm not the one throw around claims like game changer, out of this world or alike, but this shock is so good.

Only after I've ridden T2, I noticed major shortcomings of the DPX2.
Seems like HSC on the DPX2 was too weak and it caused it to blow through travel. Topaz on the other hand feels so composed and uses it's travel graciously not blowing through it like Fox does.

There's plenty of progression and at first I though that I've actually been using too little travel looking at the o-ring, but after checking with a caliper when I came back home it actually used about 38-40mm which is pretty good since the trail didn't have big drops, only moderate jumps, some berms and generally fun playful features.

Topaz is just in another league compared to Fox, it's so smooth, erases small features (to be honest Fox was pretty decent at that) while using less travel, but when hitting baby head rocks or similarly sized holes in the trail it just flows over them while DPX2 was getting bogged down there.

Drops and landing jumps feel much more composed as it doesn't blow as fast through the travel and bike's geometry doesn't change massively like it did on the DPX2. It's much better pair to Pike up front than the DPX2.
This makes you feel "invincible" and it's so easy to put the pedal down as you're much more stable and in control. There have been some claims that Topaz does great at damping but that it isn't as "poppy" or "playful" as Fox. I haven't noticed this at all, I'd say it's just as fun and even more so because it's so stable and you can push it harder without it wallowing or blowing through travel so you're much faster and the bike is more eager to get airborne.

I've beat or matched some of my PR's just riding along basically without even trying.

Climbing is better too, I've cleared one particularly tricky climb with ease, there's plenty of traction and bike rides high. I thought that there would be issues with traction since I'm running semi slick rear tire (Specialized Slaughter) when I used less sag and though there would be skipping, but no - it just flows nicely over rocky terrain we have here. Climb (firm) mode is amazing letting you pedal uphill with much less sag than if you keep it open so you're wasting less energy and have more comfortable climbing position. At no point did it feel like the front wheel was lofty.

Overally I'm extremely pleased with the DVO Topaz 2, it's better than the DPX2 the bike came with at everything: smoother, more stable/composed, better at both high and low speed impacts, better at climbing (more traction, doesn't ping off square edge rocks, climb switch enables you to ride higher to clear obstacles due to higher BB and better climbing position).

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
hello, here´s my trance in the process of upgrades, I have it since May.
Upgrades:
-rockshox pike ultimate
-hope pro evo 4 hubs
-rear tire insert
-TRP 4 pot brakes
-150mm dropper
-sdg seat
-ice tech rotors 180/203mm
-deity stem
-chromag carbon bar
-Odi grips
-chromag pedals

I am very happy with the bike but I want a different shock, anyone here with a 165x45 shock? or with a rockshox deluxe? also want to upgrade drivetrain to xo1 at least the shifter
still I don´t manage how to upload pics

·
monster member
953 Posts
EDIT- Well, I found some possible weights of the stock Contact SL parts on Bike24... Contact SL 35 780mm bars=270g and Contact SL 35mm stem= 143g in the 40mm length.

Wow! How did that work out? Newmen stem is about 100g, and S-Works bar seems to be about 190. But anyway, do you have any individual weights of the things you took off? Maybe the stem was around 150g, bars 300g, and grips 90g/pr? (I weighed the grips.)

I finally managed to get a hold of Newmen 318.2 stem (60mm) and S-Works 760mm bars along with Ritchey Superlogic grips they come at very light 272gr that's almost 300gr off stock aluminium Giant cockpit and should provide some give due to 31.8mm diameter.

Grips feel very nice, foamy but not too soft at the same time, weight is around 14gr.

Next thing is Hans Dampf Soft + Rock Razor Speedgrip combo that should further drop about 300-350gr off and X01 cassette when GX wears out.
Should bring the bike to about 12kg.

View attachment 1361925
View attachment 1361927

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Newmen stem is 69gr in 60mm lenght (Evolution SL 318.2), Sworks bars are 180gr or so and Ritchey grips are around 12gr

·
Registered
150 Posts
[mention]MarinCRO [/mention] glad to hear you like the Topaz. I’m a big fan of it too. I find the shim stacks and tuning options really suit my riding style to keep the bike planted on my local trails and give me the pop and platform that I want to push off from going up and down.

At 180 in the bladder it is super supple and soaks up everything. But I prefer more pressure in the bladder which means I mainly ride just using the Open & Mid switch positions.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sounds like you guys are describing a Tractive tuned Super Deluxe. It's a really good option for those who cannot get hold of a Topaz

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I had a topaz on a former bike and i liked the performance, tunability, support and ease of service. My issue with it was that I had to check the pressure in it before every ride because it was hard to get the bladder to hold pressure. The main air can also seemed to let some air escape over time as well and the shock had the propensity to eat o-rings for some reason. To be fair, this was the first generation of topaz. When the topaz was set to the right pressure and you had the + & - bands set right for the frame it was a really good performing shock. And like MSU Alum, I did really like how the compression adjuster had an impact on the ride height, but I was always wishing for an LSC adjuster.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sounds like you guys are describing a Tractive tuned Super Deluxe. It's a really good option for those who cannot get hold of a Topaz
Is it really that good? A tractive tune will cost me more than what my superdeluxe did. I am trying not to spend more money on upgrades on this bike.....

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Is it really that good? A tractive tune will cost me more than what my superdeluxe did. I am trying not to spend more money on upgrades on this bike.....
Ride the bike with the super deluxe as is for a season.... send it to vorsprung next season when it's time for a rebuild. The tractive tuning cost is damn near the same cost of a rebuild at a good shop. no brainer. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
680 Posts
I had a topaz on a former bike and i liked the performance, tunability, support and ease of service. My issue with it was that I had to check the pressure in it before every ride because it was hard to get the bladder to hold pressure. The main air can also seemed to let some air escape over time as well and the shock had the propensity to eat o-rings for some reason. To be fair, this was the first generation of topaz. When the topaz was set to the right pressure and you had the + & - bands set right for the frame it was a really good performing shock. And like MSU Alum, I did really like how the compression adjuster had an impact on the ride height, but I was always wishing for an LSC adjuster.
Very accurate. Did u get the seal head upgrade that is suppose to help w alignment issues causing eat o-rings problem. I recently had mine overhauled for this same reason.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Coil on the Trance?

So - DVO topaz blew up 4 times in 3 months. Not doing anything spectacular to make it happen either... Mate's bike doing the same (both on 2019 Advanced 0). And have read numerous accounts of this happening online. (Don't get the Topaz 2...)

Fixed up under warranty x3 and now Giant happy to replace with any shock of my choice.

Anybody know more about suspension and can comment if a coil will work on the Maestro of the Trance 29?? There are some brands with 165x42.5 out there...

Thanks!!

·
Registered
680 Posts
So - DVO topaz blew up 4 times in 3 months. Not doing anything spectacular to make it happen either... Mate's bike doing the same (both on 2019 Advanced 0). And have read numerous accounts of this happening online. (Don't get the Topaz 2...)

Fixed up under warranty x3 and now Giant happy to replace with any shock of my choice.

Anybody know more about suspension and can comment if a coil will work on the Maestro of the Trance 29?? There are some brands with 165x42.5 out there...

Thanks!!
Would you mind sharing what exactly was the causing the blow up problem with the Topaz 2. What did they do to try to fix it each time under warranty?

1701 - 1720 of 1761 Posts