Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1681 - 1700 of 1759 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
I rode a Trance 29 M around, on paths and roads in London Ontario and I sat on a L Trance 29 and rode it around the store in Toronto.

There are big differences in reach between my bike and the M Trance 29. My M AX29 has a ~ 26.5" reach, the L Trance 29 has a 26" reach but the M Trance has a 25" reach and I think I notice. I could get used to it, but, I don't think I would want to put a much longer stem on the M bike to make up for the reach difference. I did not find the steering/handling slow. Possibly slower than my AX29 but not bad in any way, but again I was not on trails.

So I am not sure what size would work for me. I may actually risk losing the chance to chose a 2020 model and search for a demo in M and L to really try on the trails.

I had my size checked by the Giant tool in the store and apparently I am 5 foot 9" as I thought but my inseam is NOT 30" ...it is more like 31.5".

So now not sure what I will do but as above whould ideally like to test demo on trail. On a hill I did feel strange trying to climb steep on the M.

What do you think based on my measurements?

Anybody else 5' 9" with a 31-31.5" inseam on a Large?
The more I think about it I don’t think it will mater to you what size you go with. Its a trade off either way, but the Trance is a different bike to the AX29 so your riding style is going to change to suit the Trance anyway and it will just adapt to the needs of which ever size you choose.

For a different take on bike sizing check out Lee McCormack’s (leelikesbikes) sizing method using RAD the distance from BB to Handle bars.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
It's all in the setup when it comes to stuff like climbing etc.

Trance is a short travel trail bike and you don't need more than 30% sag in the rear as it will only sink further on steep climbs. Since the bike is meant for precision riding and not plowing through everything, you don't really need 800mm bars and very short stem. I believe the trend with very wide bars and short stems has gotten way out of hand and being 190cm with broad shoulders I find 760 to 780mm bars combinded with 60mm stem optimal and fun on this type of bike. The bike isn't extremely long so you can use slightly longer stem and it improves climbing and generaly riding performance tramendously as it keeps the front end planted both uphill and downhill.
You need to find a sweet spot for your suspension (sag, rebound etc) and bike rides like a dream. How can one ride this and much longer bike with more travel with same cockpit? You need to find a good balance. Since this bike is made to zip along singletrack, jump small to moderate features and cover variety of terrain, you don't need extra wide bars and stubby stem that you use to keep much longer bikes with raked out geo from overpowering you.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Bit the bullet and had a Vorsprung Tractive tune done to my Super Deluxe.

First ride done. The shock is a lot more active, but very controlled. Climbing traction is unreal! Feels bottomless and oh so supple! Must also mention the bike felt like it was being hung up a lot less whilst climbing.

·
Registered
DVO Diamond and Topaz 3
296 Posts
@The_Bob that's great to hear. Everything I had hoped for.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Bit the bullet and had a Vorsprung Tractive tune done to my Super Deluxe.

First ride done. The shock is a lot more active, but very controlled. Climbing traction is unreal! Feels bottomless and oh so supple! Must also mention the bike felt like it was being hung up a lot less whilst climbing.
Good to hear. Would be interesting to know what they did compared to stock tune.... but guess that’s the trade secret.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Basically a full revalve, oil reservoir bled with a vacuum pump and nitrogen charge in the piggyback. The revalve is in line with my weight and terrain and matched to the kinematics of the bike frame. Vorsprung has a system where all the info is entered which matches to am appropriate shim stack

·
Registered
105 Posts
I can only confirm what The_Bob has mentioned about the Tractive. Really transformative upgrade. I have been running it since February and it feels great. For me the biggest difference is when landing jumps. You feel so much more in control at the landing, it is just unreal. It feels like you are stuck to the ground with velcro. Also going though the rough stuff at speed is very controlled.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Trance 29 L vs XL

Hi Guys, just wanted to Say HELLO first as I am New member as well as a new to full Suspension MTB.

I am 6'1 (185,5cm) tall and inseam of 33 (84cm).

I have got my heart set on the TRANCE 29. I sat on Large and XL trance 29 2020. ( Al 29 2 no stock in uk so awaiting 2021 stock now)

Due to Covid-19 its very hard to demo bikes and I am not 100%sure regarding he size.

I cant really compare to any bike as this will be my first full suspension. And first bike in years.

I must say that the L felt like ok but the bars were quite close and felt a bit cramped camparing to XL.
The XL reach felt comfortable however it could not be any bigger .. I couldn't test ride it unfortunately, no pedals either :/

Anyone here with same or very similar body measurements that rides XL as I am more keen towards the bigger one.

Also can the seat post be dropped all The way down as this is probably one of my concerns on the XL.

Reading through the thread if I understand coreectly is probbaly better to size up and maybe change the stem and pay with saddle possition?? bikes will probably feel diffrent on trail than in the shop seating only on them Anyway.

Advise will Be much appropriated.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I'm 6'2" - 33" inseam and I'm on an XL with a 43mm stem. I'd prefer that this bike have about a 2 degree seat tube angle and be about 10mm longer, but the fit still works for me. I'd say you are safe with the XL if you are able to sit on it and it doesn't feel too long. To me, the trance 29 feels long when I'm seated pedaling, but then feels short when I stand up. Which makes sense, because by modern sizing standards, 480mm reach on an XL is pretty short.

Regarding seatpost. I have a 190mm oneup seatpost in mine with the below insertion. I could have likely gotten away with a 210mm and maybe had to shim down a few mm. I believe that the seatpost could be lowered all the way to the clamp and still function fine. I'll check tonight when I get home from work and give you an update.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I'm about 189-190cm with average leg length and I can fit 210mm post, currently running 160mm BikeYoke with about 7cm showing under the collar with 60mm stem and the bike feels excellent, neither short or long and the added benefit of slightly longer stem means I can push the saddle forward a bit so the seat tube angle is effectively steeper.
Get the XL, you'll be able to fit 150-170 post on it without issue and you can always run 40mm stem

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you.
It is amazing to get some help and advice from Senior Member within few hours.
Defenitelly correct decision to Join the right Community.
All I can do is to wait for UK to finally get them and order the XL.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Anyone gone from DPX2 to DVO Topaz 2 or vice versa?
I would like to try another shock on my Trance as the DPX2 while pretty decent has some issues with faster bumps and square edge hits and can get bit skittish over fast and rougher trails. I have an option to get new DVO Topaz 2 for Maestro for cheap that has been fixed (seal issue that plaqued early shocks).

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just took a ride out of state to grab a trance 29 3 in a medium! They are definitely shorter in the top tube length, im 5'9.5 or 5'10 and im thinking i prolly could have done a large!
Not even an inch difference in top tube length between med and large tho.
I gotta make some adjustments and take it for a ride.
Sweet bike though!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've made an interesting mod to my bike. Last weekend I left a cleaning product on the stanchions and it ate some of the anodising away. I could feel extra drag cycling the forks through their travel so I started looking for a new 42mm Pike CSU. Seems they are as scarce as hen's teeth. My local distributor had a 46mm offset CSU, which I snapped up so I could ride without the damaged CSU mangling the seals or pulling dirt into the fork. First ride was on Saturday and what a pleasant surprise. The longer offset has quickened the steering slightly and made the bike more eager to duck into corners. It is still super stable on the downhills, but just slightly more playful.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My medium comes with a 40mm stem, whats a good 50mm stem to go with on this bike?
Should i just order the contact 50mm stem like the large size come with?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone ever considered putting a coil shock on their trance?

Ohlins make the TTX coil in a 165x42.5 and im seriously considering putting one on my trance. In australia theres no sotck of the super deluxe/dpx2 for months, so the ohlins availible now is pretty appealing.

·
Registered
150 Posts

Ohlins make the TTX coil in a 165x42.5 and im seriously considering putting one on my trance. In australia theres no sotck of the super deluxe/dpx2 for months, so the ohlins availible now is pretty appealing.
I’ve day-dreamt about a PUSH Eleven Six....
if I was going to go coil that is....

·
Registered
28 Posts

This should be done for science. But, don't go 42.5mm, get a 45mm stroke.

1681 - 1700 of 1759 Posts