Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YYYYYYYYYYYYeeeeeeeeeeHHHHHHaaaaaaaaaa!!
i'm back! After 6 years on my HT 29er, It's time to build me a Full Squish rig!
I'm no dirt hero so short travel trail bike is what I am after.
Just picked up my new frame!

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
nice! quick question, what can this bike do that umm lets say a 5010 can not do? there's so many different options in the lineup. Is there a post that kind of shows how they all compare to each other? I own a new 5010 but would like to get another sometime soon, maybe a Tallboy

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm noob on full sus bikes so don't know much of the differences.. changes in Geo & Sus Travel mostly..

This is what I am adding onto that frame:

X-Fusion RL Slide 29 @ 120
Cane Creek Hellbender headset
KS LEV Integra
RaceFace Aeffect Cinch crankset w/34t
1x11 w/11-46 cassette XT
XT brakes w/180 IceTech rotors
building my own wheels w/Bitex (BikeHubStore) hubs
Sapim Force spokes brass nipps
WTB KOM i29 tubeless
WTB Vigilante 2.5 front TrailBoss 2.4 rear
WTB Volt 150mm saddle
RaceFace Aeffect 35mm x 760mm
RaceFace Aeffect 50mm stem
Lizard Skin NorthShore lock-on

I think that is it for now.. still looking for a bell :)
RING RING Awwww BOOOM! <Me crashing lol

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Question?
Is this frame "Tallboy 3". seeing the different posts.. sounds like the Tallboy 4 is still in hiding? yes?

Thanks
Noob

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes it is still the Tallboy 3 frame. The TB4 is rumored to be coming in August. I'm waiting for it before I make a decision on building up a 3 frame or going with a 4 out of the box. I currently ride a TB2 and demo'd a 3 a couple weeks ago and really liked it.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Yes it is still the Tallboy 3 frame. The TB4 is rumored to be coming in August. I'm waiting for it before I make a decision on building up a 3 frame or going with a 4 out of the box. I currently ride a TB2 and demo'd a 3 a couple weeks ago and really liked it.
I demoed a TB3 CC X01 Reserve (that's what is on SC's demo truck) and I liked it a lot. Fast bike. Sounds like fairly big changes for TB4 though, so I'll have to demo before I buy.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Roger that! Thanks for the replies. V3 works fine for me!

This is alloy frame size L

I am super excited to get it out on the trail ASAP!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I demoed a TB3 CC X01 Reserve (that's what is on SC's demo truck) and I liked it a lot. Fast bike. Sounds like fairly big changes for TB4 though, so I'll have to demo before I buy.
That's what I demo'd too, and that's what I would start with if I build one up. Still want to see what the 4 brings.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Question?

When I unboxed my frame it came with two black soft tubes, approx 18" long each.

I assume they are to be slid over the cable housing that is internally routed into the down tube to prevent cable rattling noises.

Anyone have insight on the procedure to getting the soft tubes installed properly?

One for rear shift cable and the other for dropper post..

Thanks
Burt

·
Registered
21 Rocky Mountain, GT LaBomba DJ
356 Posts
nice! quick question, what can this bike do that umm lets say a 5010 can not do?
Nothing really. The 5010 is a 27.5" trail bike with 130/130 travel whereas the current TB is a 120/110 light trail/xc bike on 29" wheels. The biggest difference is really wheel size and how they ride, the 27.5" will be more poppy and playful and the 29" will roll out longer and over more stuff. I don't think there would really be enough difference between the two bikes to justify having both, you'd likely be better off looking for more or less travel depending on intended use.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
When I unboxed my frame it came with two black soft tubes, approx 18" long each.

I assume they are to be slid over the cable housing that is internally routed into the down tube to prevent cable rattling noises.
Can you post a pic? None of the SC frames I've bought came with anything like that. (None of them were a TB3, either.) They did have a chain slap protection piece for the swingarm, but I don't think that is what you're describing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wonder if it's shrink tube to run cables from the handlebars through. I haven't seen it come from the factory but I know there are bike shops that use it to keep the lines in order and reduce noise from them.

Otherwise I have no idea what it would be.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's not thin enough to be shrinkable. It's like foam padding, like you put on a 4x4 roll cage but WAY smaller. Or pipe insulation type stuff.

I'm just wondering if it's best to "stuff" it in down from the head tube or up from the BB area?
I assume once I get the cable housing routed I would then slide this foam tubing over the housing and into the down tube until it fully enters the tube, then push in the frame grommet...

Someone here has had have done this before..?? :madman:

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DAMN!!

I may have screwed up and bought the wrong parts! AGAIN ! :madman:

Drinking whiskey and spending money again..

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle part Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle accessory

I just realize I bought a Boost 150mm rear hub. The Tallboy is a boost chain line w/148mm rear!!

The wheel fits.. it's a tiny bit snug to get into the frame but not honorably tight.

I been reading more and it sounds like I may have disk rotor alignment issues with this 150mm hub..

Anyone have insight/info on this topic with SC Tallboy V3 frame?

DamnIT!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.