Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've been enjoying my 2019 Comp Carbon Stumpjumper 29er (LT) for nearly a year now and I am thinking its' time to play around with some upgrades. I'd like to make the bike a bout more Enduro than it already is.

First on my list is to upgrade to GX Eagle (with Sunrace cassette to keep the shimano Driver). Heres the link for that https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pr...shifter-derailleur-chain-sunrace-50t-cassette

Second on the list I'm thinking might be the fork?

What are you guys doing to yours and what do you recommend?

Cheers

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not sure why you wanna do that. The only reason to get rid of the NX group is because of the heavy NX cassette. But the Sunrace cassette is almost as heavy.
I would consider new lighter wheels with xd driver and a lighter cassette. Swap the rest of the NX later. Maybe lighter chainring. Those mods will save you around 700g where it matters most.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure why you wanna do that. The only reason to get rid of the NX group is because of the heavy NX cassette. But the Sunrace cassette is almost as heavy.
I would consider new lighter wheels with xd driver and a lighter cassette. Swap the rest of the NX later. Maybe lighter chainring. Those mods will save you around 700g where it matters most.
Sorry for the confusion, I bought one of the early 2019 models, they came with SLX groupsets, not NX.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Got it. If you don’t care for the weight, go for the eagle with sunrace bundle. If you want to swap out the heavy stock wheels (on my 19 Evo they where 2230g) at some point, I’d say change the drivetrain then and go with GX Eagle cassette. Not the lightest option, but still 100g lighter then the sunrace and also reasonably priced.

What exactly don’t you like about your fork that makes you consider replacing it?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it. If you don't care for the weight, go for the eagle with sunrace bundle. If you want to swap out the heavy stock wheels (on my 19 Evo they where 2230g) at some point, I'd say change the drivetrain then and go with GX Eagle cassette. Not the lightest option, but still 100g lighter then the sunrace and also reasonably priced.

What exactly don't you like about your fork that makes you consider replacing it?
So you are suggesting Upgrading the wheels and just going with the full GX Eagle groupset, cranks and Cassette included. Makes sense. Any suggestions for Carbon Wheels?

·
Registered
274 Posts
So you are suggesting Upgrading the wheels and just going with the full GX Eagle groupset, cranks and Cassette included. Makes sense. Any suggestions for Carbon Wheels?
As an owner of the Expert model with carbon wheels, i'd recommend saving your money and buying a set of lighter alloy wheels with a nice hub instead. In my opinion, carbon wheels on an mtb is overrated. They provide a much harsher ride as compared to alloy and you have to worry about not cracking/breaking them. Get a nice set of Stan's or DT Swiss wheels instead.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I wonder what you are trying to actually achieve so hard to comment-----what are you not happy with ? Are you trying to save weight? Is the fork not performing like you want ? Is the gearing not low enough ? All that being said my 2 cents is the drive train upgrades do not make much difference over SLX if any unless you need gearing. I'd go for good alloy wheels like brumos suggested.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have the same bike as you and would definitely get a better wheel and hub set... either a carbon or good aluminum set. I have both and both wheel sets and hubs have over 9000km on them without a single issue :)

Personally I like DT Swiss wheels with DT240 hubs, if you go for aluminum the the XM 1501 Spline 30mm. (Comes with both an XD driver and Shimano)

I have both and both wheel sets and hubs have over 9000km on them without a single issue :)

Replace the cassette with a Sunrace or e*thirteen when you wear out the SLX. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder what you are trying to actually achieve so hard to comment-----what are you not happy with ? Are you trying to save weight? Is the fork not performing like you want ? Is the gearing not low enough ? All that being said my 2 cents is the drive train upgrades do not make much difference over SLX if any unless you need gearing. I'd go for good alloy wheels like brumos suggested.
To be honest. I just want to give the Eagle drive train a try as I've only heard good things.

With regards to the fork - I'd prefer a little more hold up, I've had it bottom on big hits where I don't think it should have. Id prefer a bit more support from the mid stroke. However I have to admit I always run it in fully open, maybe I need to try turning the damper in 1/4 turn increments and see if that's any better ? I also didn't realise that volume spacers are available for the Rhythm fork and so I think I'll give those a try also.

As for the wheels. I am no wheel expert but I've done a bit of research so far. What alloy sets would you recommend ? Do you think Ill notice a performance difference ?

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
178 Posts
As for the wheels. I am no wheel expert but I've done a bit of research so far. What alloy sets would you recommend ? Do you think Ill notice a performance difference ?

1. DT Swiss XM 1501 Spline One 30mm (Comes with DT 240 hubs, plus both an XD Driver and Shimano Freehub + Centerlock or 6 bolt adapters) :thumbsup:

2. Yes, I did at least. :cool:

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/wheels-mtb/all-mountain/xm-1501-spline-one/xm-1501-spline-one-30/

·
Registered
274 Posts
To be honest. I just want to give the Eagle drive train a try as I've only heard good things.

With regards to the fork - I'd prefer a little more hold up, I've had it bottom on big hits where I don't think it should have. Id prefer a bit more support from the mid stroke. However I have to admit I always run it in fully open, maybe I need to try turning the damper in 1/4 turn increments and see if that's any better ? I also didn't realise that volume spacers are available for the Rhythm fork and so I think I'll give those a try also.

You should ride your bike for some time with the current build then decide what is important to you to change. Don't just go on what others say.

For instance, I prefer Shimano drivetrain. Currently running SRAM GX on my SJ and Shimano XT on my XC bike.... hands down Shimano shifting outperforms SRAM. The shifting is much smoother on Shimano, you can dump a whole bunch of gears instantly and the rear shifting can be done with your index finger or thumb. More importantly, cost of maintenance is significantly less than SRAM. With SRAM there's often 'popping' sounds when shifting into a low gear (38T->42T). I will admit however that the gear ratios are better on SRAM cassettes. If i had my choice, i'd be running Shimano.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sounds like the fork needs a token or 2 added. That should help the bottoming and mid stroke. With that, you should notice an improvement in the way your bike handles.

I’m a sucker for upgrading wheels. Never regretted that one. My last 2 bikes didn’t leave the shop with the specced wheels.

·
Registered
506 Posts
For mtek and hesher. I just picked up a Stan's flow wheelset from a highly recommend builder on eBay (uoph is his eBay handle) for $550usd with 54poe hubs, XD driver, and tubeless tape and stems. It weighs 1800g which is 400g lighter than the stock rovals. Also highly recommend spending on the x01 cassette which is 300g lighter than NX cassette.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.