Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
No Clue Crew
7,593 Posts
Not normal. Given the angle of your photo, I can't tell if the cup has worked its way out of the frame (not something I've ever seen) or the top cap has migrated. Do you have play in the system that you can feel by pick up on the bars with the front brake applied?

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I'd pull it apart and inspect it to ensure all is good. Often there are thin washers installed between the cap and the top headset split ring to space the cap upward so it doesn't rub on the frame. Too many will produce a bigger gap.

·
I don't climb, I walk
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmmm, well I just sent a picture and email to Specialized and will show it to my LBS. I have no play there at all, but would like to know more about it.
I'll be stopping in the LBS at some point as well. But I'll def be getting in a few more rides before then

·
Registered
126 Posts
Haha! Me too! I plan on going tomorrow to a new area near me that just opened. It's been closed due to muddy conditions. We've had a cold rainy spring. It snowed just north of my area 2 days ago.

I'm really not concerned about the gap. Everything is tight from what I can tell.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wow, I'm pretty impressed. I just got this email within an hour of my inquiry:

Hello Chris,

Thanks for reaching out. I'm happy to hear that you love your Stumpjumper ST29 alloy. The gap between the bearing cover and head-tube is totally normal, as long as you don't have any play and the headset moves freely then you're bike is totally fine. I hope that this info is helpful and that you're out ripping the trails on your Stumpjumper.

Have a great day!

-Mikey

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.