Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used bike from an authorized dealer that rents bikes. I noticed some issues when it arrived. There are some deep paint chips and the paint is really thick. Should I leave it alone or touch it up with many layers of paint? It's down to bare metal it seems.

I wonder how it happened. Did someone tighten the bolts too tight or something? Also, the chain is tearing up the paint as well.

Attachments

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,096 Posts
The area where the chain is scratching the frame, plenty of chain protectors on the market. In the mean time just cut an inner tube and wrap it with electrical tape.

The other issue is just a touch up paint issue. Go to the manufacturer for touch up paint and touch it up. Maybe have to order it online. Many just use nail polish for touch up paint. Hard saying how it happened. I think you may be right about someone doing it with a wrench. That doesn’t matter now, it’s done. Just touch it up.

·
Registered
767 Posts
The area where the chain is scratching the frame, plenty of chain protectors on the market. In the mean time just cut an inner tube and wrap it with electrical tape.

The other issue is just a touch up paint issue. Go to the manufacturer for touch up paint and touch it up. Maybe have to order it online. Many just use nail polish for touch up paint. Hard saying how it happened. I think you may be right about someone doing it with a wrench. That doesn't matter now, it's done. Just touch it up.
I don't believe Trek offers touch up paint. I would just leave it be unless it really bothers you that much.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,608 Posts
The chipped paint at the pivot bolts is chipped because someone serviced that pivot and the paint chipped when they were tightening the pivot bolts most likely. It's actually a good sign in this case that the used bike you bought had been serviced.

The chips from the chain - the bike was ridden hard before you bought it. It's a Slash, I'd hope so. The chain may have dropped off the chainring when riding. It that happens to you, I'd consider a chainguide if it doesn't have one already.

I keep a bottle of clear nail polish on my bench for stuff like this. It's less of an issue for aluminum than for carbon, but the nail polish keeps the paint from continuing to flake off. After putting the clear nail polish on the chainstay and letting it dry, wrap it with an old tube and be done.

·
Dirty Old Man
1,073 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.