Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all, I was looking around the forum and i could not find any intel on how to route the dropper cable on the SJ ST Alloy frame. I found the Specialized online FSR manual and it said that the BB and the rear triangle needed to be removed in order to guide the cable up the seat post. Has anyone else done this? Any short cuts? If so, any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks ,Chris

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've fitted a dropper to my SJ ST Alloy and the easier way to do it is to remove the plastic cover to the rear of the bottom bracket and then feed both ends of the dropper cable in that way. You need to give things a bit of a shove at times, but it's so much easier than removing the read triangle etc.
Does that make sense??

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Probably advisable to remove the cranks so you can ensure routing to the seat tube that isn't wrapping around the bottom of your crank.
I don't understand why the BB would need to be removed, unless it's not simply to route the cable through the downtube and have it enter the BB shell.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've fitted a dropper to my SJ ST Alloy and the easier way to do it is to remove the plastic cover to the rear of the bottom bracket and then feed both ends of the dropper cable in that way. You need to give things a bit of a shove at times, but it's so much easier than removing the read triangle etc.
Does that make sense??

Good luck!
I see the shift/brake port your talking about. The brake cable and rear derailleur cable are coming through it. I've removed the bolt, but i don't see how the port can move much with the chainstays millimeters away from it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
@Forest Rider... the BB on the ST Alloy is the sealed Power Spline (I think?), so you wouldn't need to remove the cranks, is that right?
ST Alloy does have a Power Spline, but didn't find it necessary to remove for routing dropper-cable.

I see the shift/brake port your talking about. The brake cable and rear derailleur cable are coming through it. I've removed the bolt, but i don't see how the port can move much with the chainstays millimeters away from it.
Use a small screwdriver to pop the cover off the frame. This will free up a little space to assist in routing the new cable up the seat tube. I also used a vacuum to draw a string up the seat-tube. This provided something to attach the new cable to from the front port...all the way up the seat tube.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ST Alloy does have a Power Spline, but didn't find it necessary to remove for routing dropper-cable.

Use a small screwdriver to pop the cover off the frame. This will free up a little space to assist in routing the new cable up the seat tube. I also used a vacuum to draw a string up the seat-tube. This provided something to attach the new cable to from the front port...all the way up the seat tube.
I'll go try this technique and see what happens.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: I got the dropper post installed! I resorted to the specialized FSR manual method to achieve this goal. I tried PedalBin and mr_manny's suggestion of prying the brake/shift port away from the frame, but there just was not enough room to guide the cable through IMHO. So I removed the drive side crank arm, the lower chain stay/rear triangle bolts and was able to swing the arm up high enough to pull the port cap out. From there is was all about fishing the cable through to the respective ends. Thanks to everyone who shared there wisdom with me on this adventure.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Just picked up a used ST. Didn't come with a dropper factory. The right hand side of the frame where the dropper cable would enter the frame has a plug that screws in but no port for the dropper. Anyone have any idea what the right part is called, or a part number for that so I can go internal on my bike? Thanks!

·
Registered
322 Posts

Went into my nearest shop that sells Specialized. They had the part I needed. It is actually sold as a kit of 4 parts, even if you just need the single hole one. It is called a "hood scoop kit" as it resembles what would be on the front of a muscle car.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks, this was helpful as i tried to drill a hole on my alloy st one and made a hash of it!

Thanks Mr_Manny's - unbolting the rear shock was the trick.

Just got done installing a PNW Bachelor post over wknd (they have one in 34.9mm now) and waiting on the replacement hood scoop to finish it off. One frustrating thing is that the dropper post housing is not budging when the brake/shift port cap is in place; I tried to change the seat height after putting everything back and housing didn't move until I popped off the port cap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, this was helpful as i tried to drill a hole on my alloy st one and made a hash of it!

Thanks Mr_Manny's - unbolting the rear shock was the trick.

Just got done installing a PNW Bachelor post over wknd (they have one in 34.9mm now) and waiting on the replacement hood scoop to finish it off. One frustrating thing is that the dropper post housing is not budging when the brake/shift port cap is in place; I tried to change the seat height after putting everything back and housing didn't move until I popped off the port cap.
That's the same dropper I was looking at with the loam lever. How do you like it so far?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to ride after installing it (also waiting on the hood scoop kit as LBS has to special order; its very dusty here and in the meanwhile i'm thinking to stuff a piece of foam in the open port to go riding!). As for the post itself - it looks great aesthetically; I got the loam lever (in red) too and i liked it the best of all while shopping; it really feels like a work of art! super nice design and installation couldn't be simpler. I'm stoked on getting it! The price point, design/looks, 3yr warranty and the fact that it comes in 34.9mm made it an easy decision for me. Feels smooth testing at home and don't think it will disappoint on the trails.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to ride after installing it (also waiting on the hood scoop kit as LBS has to special order; its very dusty here and in the meanwhile i'm thinking to stuff a piece of foam in the open port to go riding!). As for the post itself - it looks great aesthetically; I got the loam lever (in red) too and i liked it the best of all while shopping; it really feels like a work of art! super nice design and installation couldn't be simpler. I'm stoked on getting it! The price point, design/looks, 3yr warranty and the fact that it comes in 34.9mm made it an easy decision for me. Feels smooth testing at home and don't think it will disappoint on the trails.
Great news. I've been looking at it for a couple months now and thinking it may have to be a Christmas or birthday gift from my wife. For the time being I installed a quick disconnect so I can lower and raise slightly faster than having to use an Allen wrench to get it done. Thanks for the response.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
297 Posts
Glad I found this thread, was just looking over my SJ ST Alloy and trying to figure out how to route the dropper cable as well as getting the hole in the port. I tried drilling, not sure what size to drill the hole though, for now drilled 1/4" but not sure it is either large enough, or at the right angle for the dropper cable to go through. I used a center punch on the rear where you can see the little circle and drilled straight through instead of at an angle.

What made this all the more annoying, when trying to put the port back on the bike the screw kept trying to cross-thread. Ended up having to use a tap and die set to re-tap the hole before the screw would go in.

I have a Reverb on the way, should be here tomorrow that I had hoped to be prepared for and can just install it right away. But, reading the above it sounds like it won't be as simple as I had hoped (even less so if my drilled hole is no good!!)

At least I already have the rear shock removed, swapping out the X-Fusion for a Fox unit.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.