Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 weeks out from Silver Rush today and I’m curious how this cold, wet spring will affect the race this year. I haven’t been up higher than ~8500 lately but had a buddy who was scouting the 100 course last week and there still is a lot of snow. Doesn’t help that we had a big cold front this weekend that dropped a good bit of snow above 10,000.

Anyone have any course intel or planning to run different equipment this year on account of likely wetter than usual conditions?

I normally would run 2.25 Mezcal G+ F/R but thinking I may do Forekaster front and TBD rear.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've seen quite a few pictures of the LT100 course covered in snow. And talking with a few people who attempted to ride it over the last two weekends, they definitely confirmed snow pack from 11,000' and up.

I haven't heard anything specific to the SR50 course, but I'd expect it to be similar. I'm still planning to run my normal XC tires (Schwalbe Ray/Ralph combo) based on the following assumptions:
* The one small snow bank that's often on the course will be bigger this year. But it wasn't rideable in the past and it wouldn't be rideable this year even w/ the best tires.
* If there's a lot of snow or deep mud on the rideable sections, they'll re-route the course. They did that for the marathon last week.
* The course is mostly decomposed rock and not clay, so anything we ride shouldn't be too slick and sticky.

With that said, Mezcals don't do very well in mud and a Forekaster wouldn't be a bad choice on the loose rock even if it's dry. So swapping tires isn't a bad idea, I just wouldn't over think it and assume it will make a big difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What is the consensus on full sus vs hard tail for this race? I know it’s more rugged than LT100 , but enough to warrant squish for someone who’s “go to” is a hard tail? Did not mean to hijack but thought I’d ask while we’re talking about Silver Rush.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You'll definitely see a lot more people on full suspension bikes than hardtails (front of the pack included.) I personally think full sus is the better option (assuming the bike is reasonably light and efficient) but it wouldn't be too bad on a hardtail.

·
Registered
321 Posts
You'll definitely see a lot more people on full suspension bikes than hardtails (front of the pack included.) I personally think full sus is the better option (assuming the bike is reasonably light and efficient) but it wouldn't be too bad on a hardtail.
You could easily do on a hard tail, but...because the downhills are a little more rough, In my opinion, you'll be faster overall and you will definitely enjoy ripping down that last descent from the top of the mountain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
if your FS option was a decently light short travel bike then that is probably the better option but as everyone else said you'd be fine on a HT.

As for the course conditions I'm still pretty curious what we'll get given the last cold front and cancellation of other high country races like Breck 100. Not worried about shaving seconds, just don't want to be miserable due to poor equipment choices. I have a newborn at home and haven't trained for sh-t so I'm only in it to finish and hopefully collect my lottery coin for next years 100.

edit: course modified

Note: We've made some changes to the 50-mile course due to extreme snow conditions this year. Aid stations, turnaround point and distances are very similar, and can be seen in the course map. Changes include a max elevation point of 11,975' (previously 12,065'), elevation gain of 7,820' (previously 6,901'), and adjustments to the trails based on what could be accessed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.