Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 585 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe too early - but with Sea Otter starting in a week - maybe we will learn something. Spark is two years old now - maybe we will see some changes beyond Bold New Graphics. I'm looking for the elusive 120mm xc'ish / Trail bike that is very light but a bit more trail friendly then pure xc rig. Sort of what the 2016 Trek Fuel EX was.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Maybe too early - but with Sea Otter starting in a week - maybe we will learn something. Spark is two years old now - maybe we will see some changes beyond Bold New Graphics. I'm looking for the elusive 120mm xc'ish / Trail bike that is very light but a bit more trail friendly then pure xc rig. Sort of what the 2016 Trek Fuel EX was.
Doesn't the current Spark 900 equate to that?

·
Registered
767 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would be very surprised to see major updates to the Spark / Genius this close to a frame redesign. As said above, I would suspect if there will be any major changes, it'll be to the Gambler and or the Voltage.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The SCOTT Velo Solutions DH team have previewed their new bike which appears to be a prototype Gambler.

They've moved away from the floating suspension to a horst link setup.

20180512_074046.jpg

·
Registered
190 Posts
2019 Scale has been shown to dealers. Syncros moulded one piece stem/bars (like nino), syncros one piece carbon wheels for the top teir bikes. Expect some 34 sc forks on the spark 900’s and everything is 1x. Choice of sram or shimano 12 speed on the top end bikes.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Forgive my ignorance but how does boost spacing affect pedal strikes?
Wider bottom bracket, thus the crank/pedals stick out more from the centerline of the bike (wider q factor), thus more likely to strike something on cornering (leaning the bike). Fat bikes are very prone to it as they have massive q factors.

boost spacing allows for stiffer wheels, and wider wheels, both which help cornering. A low centre of gravity also helps with cornering. But those pedals and bottom bracket get closer to hitting something, so you need to watch the technical stuff and mind your pedal position in corners.

it is all a bit give and take.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Release Dates

2019 Scale has been shown to dealers. Syncros moulded one piece stem/bars (like nino), syncros one piece carbon wheels for the top teir bikes. Expect some 34 sc forks on the spark 900’s and everything is 1x. Choice of sram or shimano 12 speed on the top end bikes.
Does anyone know when the 2019 bikes will be published on the website, and or when they will be available? I am unable to get a SPARK RC at this point in North America; they are all sold. My dealer is going to "pre-book" one for me as soon as possible. I'm itching to get the bike.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Images of the 2018 bikes hit the net around mid June according to the 2018 thread here on the forums but it does change year to year. The 2019s shouldn't be far off.

I pre-ordered my 2018 Spark 900 in Medium at the end of June and received it on August 2nd however I live in Australia where it seems, we get the bikes a little earlier.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Wider bottom bracket, thus the crank/pedals stick out more from the centerline of the bike (wider q factor), thus more likely to strike something on cornering (leaning the bike). Fat bikes are very prone to it as they have massive q factors.

boost spacing allows for stiffer wheels, and wider wheels, both which help cornering. A low centre of gravity also helps with cornering. But those pedals and bottom bracket get closer to hitting something, so you need to watch the technical stuff and mind your pedal position in corners.

it is all a bit give and take.
Are you sure about that? Wider bottom bracket? Boost is a wider hub "standard". Moving the cassette outboard (sometimes) requires an offset chainring for proper chainline. I don't think the actual Q-factor changes. I run "normal" cranks and chainring on my boost bike.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yeah, they should be having dealer camps imminently...plus Eurobike is around the corner. Should be leaking info & pics soon.

1 - 20 of 585 Posts