Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a 2019 Specialized Epic Pro, which comes with the Rock Shox SID Brain fork. This is the Brain model that includes the top adjustment for the Brain, which is the same as the fork that comes on the S-Works models (w/ the Debonair air spring).

I have been having some challenges getting the fork setup. I should probably preface this with the fact that I weigh approximately 135lbs. ready-to-ride. I would consider myself more of an XC-race type of rider vs. someone who is out hitting a bunch of jumps. That being said, I do consider that I ride the bike aggressively.

My issue is that after riding the bike at the local trail system, I am rarely using more than 3/4 of the travel of the fork. Although the Rock Shox air guide indicates I should need between 70-90psi in the fork, I have gone as low as 58psi w/ the Brain set to the least effective setting (we will say 1/6). Even with that setting, I am getting about 3/4 travel. I feel like the local trail has enough drops and rough sections that I should be getting full travel. Currently the fork has zero tokens in it.

I am curious if anyone has experience or suggestions for a lighter rider with this fork. Do I need to look at a different oil weight in the fork lowers? Should I consider something else? It just seems like if I have to go to 50-55psi to get the fork to use full travel, there is something I am missing.

Edit: I deflated the fork, and by measurement can only get 90mm of travel out of the fork. There seems to be something internally limiting travel.

Thanks in advance!

-Brian

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi
Have the same problem with the SID Brain fork on my 2018 s-works. Run about 75 psi( my weight is about 74 kg) , just to make I through the full travel. Another problem is, that the adjustment needs to be aligned after 3-4 rides. The adjustmentknop travels past the little adjustment-pin that is in the 6 o’clock position underneath it.?
Best regards

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the info. Just curious - after a ride, is your travel indicator o-ring all the way against the crown of the fork? Even with no air pressure, I can only seem to get 85-90mm of measured distance between the wiper seal and travel indicator o-ring. Thanks!

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
On the 2018 I had, I rarely bottomed at XC level riding. It wasn't until I was out training on local trails where I tend to take larger hits and jumps that I would bottom. I would describe myself as an enduro rider that likes hard hits, the XC bike almost never leaves the house outside of an XC race.

·
Banned
1,262 Posts
I recently purchased a 2019 Specialized Epic Pro, which comes with the Rock Shox SID Brain fork. This is the Brain model that includes the top adjustment for the Brain, which is the same as the fork that comes on the S-Works models (w/ the Debonair air spring).

I have been having some challenges getting the fork setup. I should probably preface this with the fact that I weigh approximately 135lbs. ready-to-ride. I would consider myself more of an XC-race type of rider vs. someone who is out hitting a bunch of jumps. That being said, I do consider that I ride the bike aggressively.

My issue is that after riding the bike at the local trail system, I am rarely using more than 3/4 of the travel of the fork. Although the Rock Shox air guide indicates I should need between 70-90psi in the fork, I have gone as low as 58psi w/ the Brain set to the least effective setting (we will say 1/6). Even with that setting, I am getting about 3/4 travel. I feel like the local trail has enough drops and rough sections that I should be getting full travel. Currently the fork has zero tokens in it.

I am curious if anyone has experience or suggestions for a lighter rider with this fork. Do I need to look at a different oil weight in the fork lowers? Should I consider something else? It just seems like if I have to go to 50-55psi to get the fork to use full travel, there is something I am missing.

Edit: I deflated the fork, and by measurement can only get 90mm of travel out of the fork. There seems to be something internally limiting travel.

Thanks in advance!

-Brian
mine deflated will only go 90mm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.