Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
[QUOTEDiamondback: “Right, so that’s like an employee price that we offer as a courtesy. Ummm, you know. This reduces our ability to, uh, you know…to provide you with the kind of courtesy that we can provide a customer that’s buying at full pop.”.[/QUOTE]

Man this is disheartening. I had an issue with the rear hub (as did many others) on my R3 that I bought with the corporate discount last year. They handled it much more professionally than this exchange. I have to wonder if this is related to the recent sale of the company and a sign that Diamondback's recent run of offering a great bike at a great price is coming to an end. I sure hope not as I am still loving my R3.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update!

The warrantied frame arrived today and guess what, they shipped me last years frame!! Completely different color (red) compared to the bike I bought (matte black). https://i.imgur.com/McL1V5n.jpg

I honestly feel like they're just ****ing with me at this point. It's almost comical but also pretty frustrating.

For those who own last years model Release, has it been pretty reliable? Might not be worth the hassle to go through this whole process again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Love my 2018 5c in red. Had it professionally assembled (clean/grease everything). Recently replaced all bearings. Keeping up with lube schedule is important too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Another update!

I reached out to the COO of Alta Cycles (the company that now owns DB) on LinkedIn and he was able to get me in touch with the warranty manager for DB.

He was extremely helpful and will be shipping out either a replacement black frame (2019 version) or sending an entirely new bike if they don't have a frame in stock. In addition, they will be paying for labor the previous LBS visits AND labor for swapping all the components. He also stated the tech was incorrect in stating that customers get less service for bikes bought at a discount.

It was frustrating getting here, but it looks like they're owning up to the issue and going over the top to fix it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just a quick update. The warranty manager ended up sending out a completely new bike in November 2019 which was awesome. However, they completely ignored my request to get reimbursed for the LBS services. Not totally unreasonable IMO, but a reply would have been nice.

Unfortunately after <100 miles on the new bike it's developed the same creak. During the previous warranty process the manager (Jason Cooper) claimed he would tear the bike apart and figure out what was wrong to hopefully fix this issue for other customers going forward. So I emailed him recently and asked what he found so I could take it to a LBS and lead them in the right direction...no response.

The whole process has been a huge headache and I will never buy a DB again. Sure, the specs are amazing for the price and it rides great. But I've spent so many hours, had a <1 year old bike out of service for weeks at a time (3 times now), and have had so much stress about getting them to honor their warranty. Just a shitty experience all around, not what you want when you're throwing down $4-5k on a bike.

Also, Guy.Ford, what's up with deleting your entire post history?

·
mtbr member
53 Posts
That creaking sounds dire and I'd be pissed with that coming from a new bike. Customer service doesn't sound great either, especially the couple of posts about sending out the wrong bike or frame. Shouldn't be happening, it's a bit more serious than having the wrong pizza delivered. That being said I wouldn't single out Diamondback for creaking. I've had a lot of bikes and it's a bit of a lottery. I had a Santa Cruz Hightower, the most expensive frame I've ever bought, in two years it never got more than a couple of weeks without the lower link starting to creak again. Very disappointing for the cost and coming from a boutique brand. Also recently had a Kona Hei Hei which never creaked in 7.5k miles.

It's usually not that difficult to track down the problem. I'd be looking at the bottom bracket or direct mount chainring first. Saddle clamps are common culprits as well. Probably something not tight enough or assembled dry that needs grease. Although I did once have a Giant Trance where the top tube/seat tube join was at fault. Nothing could be done about it unless I wanted to pursue a warranty replacement. Maybe if you ride in a group ask a few buddies to try the bike and see where they thing it's coming from.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well damn!

I just bought a 2020 Release 5C and its creaking. My local bike shop pretty much pulled the whole thing apart. They greased all the pivots and it quieted down for the first few rides and now the creak is back. It really sounds like its coming from the headset.

Snowed, do you have a contact number or email for the warranty manager at Diamondback?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well damn!

I just bought a 2020 Release 5C and its creaking. My local bike shop pretty much pulled the whole thing apart. They greased all the pivots and it quieted down for the first few rides and now the creak is back. It really sounds like its coming from the headset.

Snowed, do you have a contact number or email for the warranty manager at Diamondback?
Sorry to hear that! Yeah I've been messing around with mine recently and the headset definitely appears to be the culprit.

The warranty manager was Jason Cooper ([email protected]), but I e-mailed him about the recent issues and never got a response. You can also try contacting Alta Cycling Group who owns diamondback (1-800-222-5527). Good luck...keep us updated if you figure out a fix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I pulled the headset apart and one of the bearings had some crud built up on side. Cleaned it the best I could, re-greased and assembled. All quiet now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to hear that! Yeah I've been messing around with mine recently and the headset definitely appears to be the culprit.

The warranty manager was Jason Cooper ([email protected]), but I e-mailed him about the recent issues and never got a response. You can also try contacting Alta Cycling Group who owns diamondback (1-800-222-5527). Good luck...keep us updated if you figure out a fix.

Did this ever get resolved? My '18 release 4C had this exact problem. I spent a riding season trying to figure out the problem. I had a bike tech at REI, of all places, tell me that this was a common problem with the release carbon frames that is caused by the bushings on the shock's contact points being the incorrect length. Mine has been silent since REI, told me, they swapped bushings out.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts