Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Clean and grease the top tube shock mount bolt. I serviced my pivots recently and even when the suspension pivots were grimy they were all silent except for the top tube shock mount (the one that barely even moves).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not the seat. I'll try the shock mount pivot.

Guy.Ford, I'm not sure I agree with that. I had my last 2 bikes for >5 years and neither of them ever made this amount of noise. My friend's carbon bikes never made this amount of noise either.

It seems crazy that customers are expected to strip the entire bike apart and put it back together...I would have bought a different bike if I knew this was the case but I guess I'm stuck with it now.

·
Shartacular Spectacular
441 Posts
It's not the seat. I'll try the shock mount pivot.

Guy.Ford, I'm not sure I agree with that. I had my last 2 bikes for >5 years and neither of them ever made this amount of noise. My friend's carbon bikes never made this amount of noise either.

It seems crazy that customers are expected to strip the entire bike apart and put it back together...I would have bought a different bike if I knew this was the case but I guess I'm stuck with it now.
Life can be brutal every now and again. My thoughts go out to you during this difficult time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not trying to **** on Diamondback, but I find it hard to believe this is a normal issue on new carbon bikes. And when it is an issue, doesn't the seller typically fix the issue ASAP instead of telling the customer to service the BB and pivot bearings themselves.

Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome bike. I just don't believe this is a typical issue on new bikes (carbon or AL) based on my past experience with my and my friends new bikes from other manufacturers which have never had this kind of problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You truly believe this amount of creak is perfectly normal on a new bike? I understand and expect bikes to make some noise but this is extremely loud...listen to the video again.

I would definitely feel better if it developed after 9-10 months of hard riding. There are many consumable bike parts that are expected to be replaced, but these parts shouldn't need to be serviced or replaced after 5-10 rides.

I didn't post the whole story on here, but DB completely ignored my 1st e-mail. They responded to the 2nd e-mail a week later explaining how creaks can occur and which parts should be serviced/reinstalled, including the BB. It consistently takes them 5+ days to respond to e-mails. It's just poor customer service compared to what I've experienced with other brands.

Cool story bro. It's wonderful that you do all the work yourself, but most reputable bike manufacturers don't poorly assemble their bikes and then tell the consumer to fix it themselves.

I don't get why you're bringing so much negativity into this, all I'm trying to do is see if other 2019 Release 5C riders are experiencing the same thing with their bikes or not.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
This amount of creak on a new bike is ridiculous - its so bad (as heard in the video link) that I'd refuse to ride with you as it would drive me nuts. In the last 3 years, I've purchased 3 different level link bikes from DB, and a gravel grinder. Every single one of these bikes had significant quality control and assembly issues, that cost me time, downtime from riding, and eventually cash out of pocket. On one of my orders, they didn't even have the right bike in the box they shipped me. My experiences with the customer service from DB are akin to getting a root canal while doing my taxes. Warranty issues wound up costing me significant cash, that would've been covered by any other bike shop. I have years of bike mechanic background in my past, and am a somewhat competent and tool equipped bike mechanic. Early on, the deals on the DB bikes were worth the added personal time investment associated with essentially maintaining these without a local shop's support. I no longer feel that to be the case.

When working properly and configured with components that work, these can be great bikes, and my entire family has had a great time on them, with big miles in amazing places. But I'm not a DB fanboy - its not because of the bikes, its directly due to QC and customer service. Every issue I've had, if "resolved" through customer support, was never completely addressed and fixed, leaving me to get the final solution taken care of my self, with my time and cash, every single time at the expense of riding time lost.

You're riding their top of the line, carbon fiber bike, and it sounds like $h!t. You should be pissed. While it could be something simple that you could chase down (and you should try to systematically eliminate the sources of the creaks, working from the pedals to the saddle, and everything in between), it could be a bigger problem, like with the alignment of the frame, binding bearings or axles.

Hopefully DB support comes through for you, and you're not down a bike for significant lengths of time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the reply, I thought I was going crazy with everyone else saying it was normal for a new bike to sound like that. It's unfortunate to hear about your experiences with DB customer service...hopefully they step up and back their products similar to other bike brands.

Agreed about it being an awesome bike. It climbs well and is a beast going downhill. Very happy with how it rides.

It's currently at the LBS and they're systematically working through possible creak sources. I'll keep this post updated with how things turn out.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I also ran into nothing but issues with my 5C, I loved how the bike rode but I couldn't deal with the lack of quality. This is certainly not my first high end carbon bike as I have a rotating fleet of bikes like we all probably do but this is the first one that I have run into this many issues with. I had to deal with horrible creaking, paint chipping prematurely and a crack in the seat stay within a month of riding. I ended up stripping the parts off of the bike and selling the frame for almost nothing.

As far as the negative responses that you have received on your post snowed, what do you expect? This is the Diamondback forum with nothing but hard core fans who are used to people shitting on Diamondback, so they are quick to get defensive. While I think that Diamondback is on the right track, I would be hesitant to purchase another bike from them until they can improve upon the consistency of the products they put out. Happy trails everyone!!!

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
A bike that costs $3k shouldn't creak like that after a few rides. I hope you get it figured out. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FYI this issue is still not fixed. DB routinely takes 2+ weeks to reply to warranty related e-mails. Just a word of caution if anyone is considering buying one of their bikes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a quick follow up. I sent up couple follow up e-mails and didn't get a response for more than a month. Earlier today I called in, and sure enough the same dude (Lief Flemming...is he the only DB support person?) who was ignoring my warranty claim answered the phone. Here are the highlights:

I had access to the corporate discount and expericity, and choose to use the corporate discount.

Diamondback: “So you bought this bike at a corporate discount, correct?”

Customer: “Correct”

Diamondback: “Right, so that’s like an employee price that we offer as a courtesy. Ummm, you know. This reduces our ability to, uh, you know…to provide you with the kind of courtesy that we can provide a customer that’s buying at full pop.”

Customer: “Is that your policy?”

Diamondback: “Does that make any sense?”

Customer: “That’s the Diamondback policy?”

Diamondback: “So the policy of our corporate discount program, is a courtesy.”

Customer: “So you give less support for it?”

Diamondback: “We just don’t have the same margins to work with when an issue arises.”

And then...

Customer: Did you listen to the video? Are you telling me that’s a normal noise for a new Diamondback?

Diamondback: I’ve heard the noise

Customer: Is that normal?

Diamondback: Bikes do make noise. That’s a noise I’ve heard before.

Customer: Really? Let me play it for you here

Diamondback: Creaking bikes are sort of a common phenomenon. Especially when bikes aren’t maintained or serviced.

Customer: *Plays creaking sound from the youtube video listed above* Now that’s after 5 rides. Is that normal?

Diamondback: Yes…

Customer: Really?

Diamondback: Yes, it certainly can be.​

I would be very cautious about throwing down $4-5k on a Diamondback. It's a fun bike, but most new bikes are pretty damn fun too. DB does not provide a level of service that makes it safe to buy direct-to-consumer. They ignore you for as long as possible and then tell you their warranty is a courtesy. Such BS for a bike company trying to rebrand themselves with legit high end bikes.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Wow - that sucks. The balls it takes to tell someone that they won't get the same service as someone that paid full price - with a direct to consumer sales model. What a bunch of ass clowns. If you're keeping the bike, then you're going to have to accept that its going to cost you $$$ to make the creak go away. If you've got the tools and skill, chase the creak, starting at the saddle, and systematically work your way down. Hit everything with slick honey. Ride, rinse, repeat. Or, find a different shop, and let them chase it down. And, while its a bitter pill to swallow, accept the fact that the money you saved on the DB pricing deal wasn't quite worth it - and keep in mind, there are a lot of people who have the same headaches with crappy shops and poorly running bike, and they paid full price in person.

Good luck - I finally found my creak, and it was awesome to make it go away.

·
Registered
94 Posts
So I had an issue with my R3 when it first came in. It was also bought with a corp discount which I think alot of people do since its pretty common. Diamondback answered right away every question that I had. They also offered to pay for any cost for me to take it to my local bike shop to help diagnose the problem. I dont know someone has such bad luck and experience. I spoke with a think at least 2 different people and each were extremely nice. I would be mad if I had your experience but 2 of 2 for me were nice and helpful. Maybe that has changed in the last year.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I had an issue with my R3 when it first came in. It was also bought with a corp discount which I think alot of people do since its pretty common. Diamondback answered right away every question that I had. They also offered to pay for any cost for me to take it to my local bike shop to help diagnose the problem. I dont know someone has such bad luck and experience. I spoke with a think at least 2 different people and each were extremely nice. I would be mad if I had your experience but 2 of 2 for me were nice and helpful. Maybe that has changed in the last year.
Interesting to hear they paid for your shop diagnosis. Here's what they told me earlier:

Generally, we would not reimburse you for the bearings, unless evidence can be provided that the bearings or assembly were faulty.
We can look into compensating you for warrantable labor charges, against your original purchase with us, or with parts and accessories, such as our Ready 2 Ride Starter Kit, including a hand pump, seat bag, multi tool, tire tools and patch kit.

But on the phone call yesterday, they are stated they will not be paying for the previous LBS visits.

On the plus side, they have agreed to warranty the frame, but again will not pay for any of the labor costs and unfortunately I don't have the tools/knowledge to do the headset/BB myself. The downside to this is that they kept saying the would 'make the determination' once they receive the old frame, so I feel like they might try to screw me over again. Fingers crossed that it goes smoothly and resolves the issue.

watermonkey makes a great point that even after paying the labor costs it will still (hopefully) be cheaper than buying a full priced bike, but the amount of time and being unable to use the bike is pretty frustrating.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts