Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Regi is open now. To the tune of 170$ for the "cheap" single day entry. A bit too hard of a pill for me to swallow. It does sounds like a fun route and MBOSC always puts on a great event.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I registered; will be my first ever race really. I'm just trying to survive it :) I definitely agree $170 is a lot for the single day event. The bright side of that is the camping option with parking was $217 with tax and everything, which IMO isn't bad for a unique weekend in Big Basin. I'm driving down from SF so single day option didn't make sense for me anyway with a 7am start time.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I registered; will be my first ever race really. I'm just trying to survive it :) I definitely agree $170 is a lot for the single day event. The bright side of that is the camping option with parking was $217 with tax and everything, which IMO isn't bad for a unique weekend in Big Basin. I'm driving down from SF so single day option didn't make sense for me anyway with a 7am start time.
I'm in the 40-49 category. Which cat are you racing in? I need a 3am head start!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I got my race day registration at 7:01 PM yesterday :) Comparing the relevant portions of the Strava heat map and the course map against the map in the Big Basin Park brochure, it looks like many of the "no public access" indications are no longer closed. Or the race has special permission, and/or the closures are routinely ignored and seldom enforced like other popular spots in Santa Cruz. I am particularly interested in whether you can legally access Hwy 1 via Chalks road. Also whether you can ride China Grade to Butano Fire Road down to Hwy 1.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I got my race day registration at 7:01 PM yesterday :) Comparing the relevant portions of the Strava heat map and the course map against the map in the Big Basin Park brochure, it looks like many of the "no public access" indications are no longer closed. Or the race has special permission, and/or the closures are routinely ignored and seldom enforced like other popular spots in Santa Cruz. I am particularly interested in whether you can legally access Hwy 1 via Chalks road. Also whether you can ride China Grade to Butano Fire Road down to Hwy 1.
i haven't done the event...but i ride those routes/roads often. I've had no problem coming down from Chalks or WH... but i think CG to Butano to cloverdale is the most legit.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hmm, interesting, I checked out the park brochure and it says it was revised 2018. It shows no public access to the two sections you mentioned -- Butano after China Grade, and part of Chalks on the way down to Hwy 1. I have limited faith in the quality of state parks maps, even maps of their own land. They're certainly not authoritative on private land. I'll shoot the organizers an email about pre riding those areas and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Are you going to ride a.CX bike?
skinny tires scare me ;-)
I have nothing close to an appropriate bike at this time so I'm thinking about what to build. I suspect I'll end up on a hardtail mtb and run something in the 2.1-2.25 tire range.
I'll most likely just pull stuff off of my V4 Ripley and build up something like a DV9. I know some folks road duallies last year so that's an option. The only 'don't do again' I heard from last year was really skinny tires. The fire road descending was brutal for some on skinnies.

What are you going to ride?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Some History

Have FUN! Cool event and a great route. Friends and I were doing different variations of it back in 1995. My first time on a Bridgestone RB1 with Avocet 30's..... brutal. These days, I use this, The "Timber Spork"

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire

And do me a favor while you're all celebrating post race, give a toast to the pioneers, Jobst Brandt, Jerry Horton and some others who're no longer with us, they were doing these rides and THIS route, LONG before the organizer's starting turning a [non] profit on it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.