Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These have been available in Europe for a while now, not sure about the US, any feedback on them?

I want to move away from Fox suspension (bored with creaky stanchions etc) and my options are the Mezzer, the Lyrik Ultimate (with Dougal or Push mods if needed) or the Ohlins.

Any feedback on the Ohlins is appreciated :thumbsup:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Haven't ridden the new fork, but did talk to Jake at Ohlins about the differences vs. the current RXF 36 EVO (which I'm super happy with, been riding both the coil and air version). He said that most of the noticeable improvements are already in the EVO. The 18mm piston is obviously different and theoretically would mean less friction, but it sounded like some of the EVO mods (like the split piston band) made even more of a difference. There are also slightly longer travel options with the new fork.

One option is to pick up a used RXF 36 for a good deal and send it in for the EVO upgrade (have them check the lower bushing sizing as well, in some earlier forks the bushings were too tight resulting in tons of stiction). If you go this route make sure you get a TTX version. There is also an STX version that was OEM stock on the Enduro Pro for a while, but confusingly the name "RXF 36" was identical. The STX only has a LSC adjuster on top of the left leg, the TTX has both LSC and HSC (which also has a climb mode).

Regarding creaky crowns, sorry to say but I think ultimately any single crown fork will develop that if pushed hard enough. I recently had it happen on my RXF 36 coil, but Ohlins did replace the CSU under warrantee. It did at least seem to take longer to happen initially than other forks I've had in the past... :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Get the Lyrik, I just dropped $1300 on a coil rxf 36 m.2 and regret it big time. Not worth double the price of the Lyrik I’ve been running on my hardcore hardtail. Also didn’t have the best buying experience with Ohlins.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get the Lyrik, I just dropped $1300 on a coil rxf 36 m.2 and regret it big time. Not worth double the price of the Lyrik I've been running on my hardcore hardtail. Also didn't have the best buying experience with Ohlins.
What do you regret about the fork?

It's pretty hard to be disappointed by the current lyrik IMO so that's my pick
I'm 85kg and ride quite aggressively so in your opinion is the standard Lyrik damper good enough or needs to be fettled?

·
Registered
45 Posts
It’s incredibly heavy. I’m 90kg and in between spring rates so my choice is a spring that’s too soft or too hard. Last coil I rode was a van rc ten years ago and there was a big difference between air and coil, these days not so much. Was a costly fork experiment.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's incredibly heavy. I'm 90kg and in between spring rates so my choice is a spring that's too soft or too hard. Last coil I rode was a van rc ten years ago and there was a big difference between air and coil, these days not so much. Was a costly fork experiment.
Yeah getting the correct spring rate is critical. Out of curiosity do you know how much it weighs? I have a Vorsprung coil 36 and I'm guessing that could be described as heavy but I don't really notice it.

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
I'm 85kg and ride quite aggressively so in your opinion is the standard Lyrik damper good enough or needs to be fettled?
Apart from a standard bushing burnish and relube that I would do to any new fork, there is nothing that needs major attention right away.

It all depends on your exact trails, but a firmer compression tune would improve it even further for sure. If you really want lots of support though then an HC97 kit is the way to go, as it's LSC range is still pretty limited. I run a smashpot kit so find the extra damping control of the HC97 is needed but it might not be so bad with the air spring

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Apart from a standard bushing burnish and relube that I would do to any new fork, there is nothing that needs major attention right away.

It all depends on your exact trails, but a firmer compression tune would improve it even further for sure. If you really want lots of support though then an HC97 kit is the way to go, as it's LSC range is still pretty limited. I run a smashpot kit so find the extra damping control of the HC97 is needed but it might not be so bad with the air spring
So the fork is ok to begin with but if pushed needs more damping which seems to be the general consensus after a bit of reading.

At ~70kg I find the Lyrik RC2 dampers to be far too soft.
Choice between the Push HC97 or you Dougal it seems ;)

mmmm do you sell Rockshox forks?

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
When I went with a coil, weight was NOT something I gave a remote damn about.

I weigh 64 Kg, riding a 16.5 Kg (36 pound) bike doesn't bother me in the slightest. Having a suspension that does it's job matters a lot though. But it seems I got lucky with spring rates, I have no preload on front or rear and it feels about perfect.

That said...I can't imagine I would be complaining about riding a Lyrik or any other high end fork, especially with a tune. But I also don't want to deal with air anymore. I deal with it on my XC bike for weight weenie purposes (even if I have a 'heavy' XC fork). But my XC bike only gets ridden for races, otherwise I am on my long bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just a thought....

These have been available in Europe for a while now, not sure about the US, any feedback on them?

I want to move away from Fox suspension (bored with creaky stanchions etc) and my options are the Mezzer, the Lyrik Ultimate (with Dougal or Push mods if needed) or the Ohlins.

Any feedback on the Ohlins is appreciated :thumbsup:
You could buy the Marzocchi Z-1 and drop a grip 2 damper in it. Different crown than the 36, burlier fork.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts

To both you and Dougal, or anyone for that matter... Getting way off base but might be relevant here.

Is there any merit to considering that for mtb purposes going with relatively lighter damping, most specifically HSC damping, and relying more on a combination of a faster rebound and the progressive nature of the air spring?

Thought I ran into a write up somewhere a while ago mentioning RS was maybe experimenting and moving in this direction. It would seem to fit seeing how many are saying how RS has lightened up on their compression damping.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts