Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the bike is designed around a fork with a 51mm offset...Correct? looking at the Pike Ultimate in 150mm travel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wondering this too as I just picked up a frame to build up. In the text about the bike though it appears to say 43 and 44 also work well, esp for a snappier feel.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Wondering this too as I just picked up a frame to build up. In the text about the bike though it appears to say 43 and 44 also work well, esp for a snappier feel.
I picked up my Offering used, came with a 44mm fork, changed it to a 51mm. Honestly I can't really tell the difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I picked up my Offering used, came with a 44mm fork, changed it to a 51mm. Honestly I can't really tell the difference.
Yeah, I am not so sure I would be able to tell the difference either epically since I haven't ridden the bike. Still up in the air as to what fork to get for mine. Running the dpx2 shock and may go lyric up front as I could never get my fox forks to feel that great in the past and have had CSU issues. What fork are you running on yours?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Is a bike ever really "designed" around a 44 vs 51 mm offset fork? I put a 44 mm offset for on my ST Stumpjumper and it wasn't even noticeable after riding around in the parking lot for 5 minutes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is a bike ever really "designed" around a 44 vs 51 mm offset fork? I put a 44 mm offset for on my ST Stumpjumper and it wasn't even noticeable after riding around in the parking lot for 5 minutes.
Absolutely. If the bikes were not designed around a specific offset they would not be able to get the desired geometry. Most bike mfg will list what offset they recommend for the specific bike. From everything I have read, the offering v1 was designed around a 51mm offset.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Absolutely. If the bikes were not designed around a specific offset they would not be able to get the desired geometry. Most bike mfg will list what offset they recommend for the specific bike. From everything I have read, the offering v1 was designed around a 51mm offset.
What does it do to an Evil Offering's geometry if you change your fork from a 51 mm to 44 mm offset? Shorten the wheelbase by 7 mm? Anything else?

·
Big M, Little organ.
266 Posts
What does it do to an Evil Offering's geometry if you change your fork from a 51 mm to 44 mm offset? Shorten the wheelbase by 7 mm? Anything else?
I don’t know if “designed around” would be as accurate as “evil liked this combo”. I think most of the original adopters of shorter offsets also added slacker head tubes and longer reaches. In the end it’s 1)a matter of preference, and 2)really minor as a sole change.

Me, I’m running a 160mm/44mm fox 36 in xtra-low. For my riding that’s my preference.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeah, I am not so sure I would be able to tell the difference either epically since I haven't ridden the bike. Still up in the air as to what fork to get for mine. Running the dpx2 shock and may go lyric up front as I could never get my fox forks to feel that great in the past and have had CSU issues. What fork are you running on yours?
I'm on a V1, did upgrade the Fox DPX2 to a 11.6 and changed the stanchions to 51mm and did the Push AC3 kit. DH on the Offering is way better and loving it! Climbing with the 11.6 meh, kinda like pedaling a wet turd. I don't mind a little more struggle on the uphill, because the 11.6/AC3 for the DH is the ****!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts