Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into building out a Meta TR 29 2019 in brushed aluminum.

I'm very tall and the geometry of the extra large looks great for tall riders. steep seat tube angle, decently slack with long reach.

Geometry comparison to a few other similar frames:99spokes

Here is a bunch High Quality frame/bike pics sourced from google images and these forums: Here's the build plan:
Shock: FOX FLOAT DPX2 Factory Rear Shock - Metric, 210 x 55mm, EVOL LV ,3-Position Lever, Kashima Coat
Fork: PIKE Ultimate Charger2.1 RC2 29" Boost 15x110 150mm 42 Offset
Headset: Cane Creak 40
Mud Guard: Syncros Trail Fender
Stem: Syntace Megaforce 2, 50mm, 31.8mm, 6 Degree
Handlebar: RaceFace Atlas Riser Handlebar, 31.8 x 785mm, 1-1/4" Rise
Grips: ESI Extra Chunky
Pedals: SPD M540
Brakes: Magura MT5 Next
Rotors: Magura Storm HC 203mm front/back
Saddle: Specialized Power Comp
Seatpost: RockShox Reverb Stealth Dropper Seatpost - 31.6mm, 200mm (new model)
Seatclamp: Promax MX-112C 34.9mm black
- Drivetrain -
BB: AM BB DUB PressFit92
Crankset: DUB 12s 170 Boost 32t X-SYNC Chainring
Shifter: GX Trigger
Rear Derailleur: GX 12s Rear Mech
Chain: GX 12s
Cassette: XG-1275 10-50t
Chain Guide/Guard: OneUp Bash Guide
- Wheels -
Rims: Light Bicycle AM930 Carbon
Spokes: Sapim Race
Rear Hub: Onyx Vesper 32H XD 15x110 Boost
Front Hub: DT Swiss 350 32h 15x110 Boost
Tires: Maxxis Minion DHR II front/rear

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,910 Posts
That will be a really nice build!

You may want to rethink the 210x55. I have the RS Super Deluxe 210x55 from Commencal directly and it really puts it deep into the travel. No frame bottom outs yet but I can see with air out of the shock it can easily bottom out on frame with a big hit. I think the shock should be reworked with a spacer or bumper for this setup, need to look into this more as I am still dialing it in myself.

As a tall rider I was also disappointed to find out the seat tube angle is actually quite slack especially with a 150. The published 76.5 is with a 130 fork, which is crazy since they don't even sell that build. I would say its more like 74deg STA with a 150 and HTA is slacker.

Good call on the 170's, most pedal strikes I have ever experienced running 175's, soon to be changed.

·
Registered
168 Posts

You may want to rethink the 210x55. I have the RS Super Deluxe 210x55 from Commencal directly and it really puts it deep into the travel. No frame bottom outs yet but I can see with air out of the shock it can easily bottom out on frame with a big hit. I think the shock should be reworked with a spacer or bumper for this setup, need to look into this more as I am still dialing it in myself.
Can't speak for the RS shock but I posted pictures of my 210x55 DPX2 bottomed out in the main thread. The seat stay brace gets close to the fender but there's no way it's going to hit it or the seat tube.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

As a tall rider I was also disappointed to find out the seat tube angle is actually quite slack especially with a 150. The published 76.5 is with a 130 fork, which is crazy since they don't even sell that build. I would say its more like 74deg STA with a 150 and HTA is slacker.

Good call on the 170's, most pedal strikes I have ever experienced running 175's, soon to be changed.
Even with the STA falsities it will still be a steeper STA than my previous bikes with more reach. I'm gonna trust PhoS on the clearance! I'm sure I could figure something out if it does get too close.

I'm right there with you on the 170 cranks. I don't enjoy bending my knees whatever extra degrees that 5mm creates! or striking the dirt/rocks and losing my back end at speed :(

Can't speak for the RS shock but I posted pictures of my 210x55 DPX2 bottomed out in the main thread. The seat stay brace gets close to the fender but there's no way it's going to hit it or the seat tube.
This is great news. After considering my options here I am really leaning towards full Fox Factory setup fork/shock/seatpost with a DPS 210x55 so I can try to fit a full size waterbottle into the frame with a wolftooth b-rad base.

Do you know what bushings to use for the shock? Trying to chose the right ones.

Looks pretty dialed, you'll want a 51mm offset fork though.
A 46 offset would work just fine and change the steering characteristics and a few other feels. But you are right I will go with a 51mm.

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,910 Posts
That is good to know, can you point me to the pics I cant seem to find them.

Just curious, did you let all the air out then compress the linkage to full? What size frame?

All in all the bike is a ripper but me bum sure would have liked the 76.5 ;)

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,910 Posts
I'm gonna trust PhoS on the clearance! I'm sure I could figure something out if it does get too close.

A 46 offset would work just fine and change the steering characteristics and a few other feels. But you are right I will go with a 51mm.
Commencal backs up the x55 stroke so hey you should be covered. In my case I need to do some fiddling to see what going on.

I think sticking with the 51 offset is smart with this range of HTA. In my experience with shorter offset you need a slack HTA otherwise it feels floppy, some people may like that, I didn't.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Personally if I could change anything on this bike I would probably slacken the head angle. There really isn't any wiggle room to lower the BB though. I'm already on 170mm cranks. I recently rode my v4 650b meta for the first time in several months. It has 175mm cranks and was still laughable to truck over tech climbs without smacking pedals compared to the TR. I prefer the TR pretty much everywhere else though. :p

Thanks for reposting the picture, large frame btw.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's the final build:
Shock: Rockshox Deluxe RT3 210 x 50mm, 3-Position Lever, take off from 2019 YT Jeffsy CF Pro
Have a MegNeg kit to be installed after a few rides.
Fork: Rockshox PIKE Ultimate Charger2.1 RC2 29" Boost 15x110 140mm 51 Offset
Headset: Cane Creak 40
Mud Guard: Blackburn mud guard
Stem: Sram Descendant, 0mm Rise, 35mm clamp, 50mm Length
Handlebar: Sram Descendant Riser 35mm clamp, 760mm width, 25mm rise
Grips: ESI Extra Chunky
Pedals: SPD M540
Brakes: Magura MT5
Rotors: Magura Storm HC 203mm front/back
Saddle: Bontrager Montrose Elite 138mm
Seatpost: RockShox Reverb Stealth Dropper Seatpost - 31.6mm, 200mm (new model)
Seatclamp: Wolf Tooth Seatpost Clamp 34.9mm Silver
- Drivetrain -
BB: AM BB DUB PressFit92
Crankset: DUB 12s 170 Boost 32t X-SYNC Chainring
Shifter: GX Trigger
Rear Derailleur: GX 12s Rear Mech
Chain: GX 12s
Cassette: XG-1275 10-50t
Chain Guide/Guard: OneUp Bash Guide
- Wheels -
Rims: Light Bicycle AM930 Carbon
Spokes: Sapim Race
Rear Hub: Onyx Vesper 32H XD 15x110 Boost
Front Hub: DT Swiss 350 Hybrid 32h 15x110 Boost
Tires: Maxxis Minion DHR II front/rear

I used a Wolf Tooth B-Rad 3 Mounting base to move the Specialized "rib cage" bottle cage lower and the bike pump up higher. I've read several places that a full bottle wont fit these frames. Well here is proof you can.
I'll see about getting the side loading Zee II cage from spec for easier access.

I have a 150 air shaft if I don't like the geometry where it is now with the 140. And the Megneg will be for if I blow through rear travel too quickly. I am over 200lb and would like better progression near the end of my travel.

Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Wheel

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,910 Posts
Here's the final build:
Shock: Rockshox Deluxe RT3 210 x 50mm, 3-Position Lever, take off from 2019 YT Jeffsy CF Pro
Have a MegNeg kit to be installed after a few rides.
Congrats, that is a sweet build.

I also just received a MegNeg can for my Superdeluxe and 220# rider. Post back on how the install / setup went and your impressions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I also just received a MegNeg can for my Superdeluxe and 220# rider. Post back on how the install / setup went and your impressions.
Thank You. I will let you know how the megneg works out. I might make a short video on installation.

I've read that the STA for these bikes is falsely advertised. Here is the Geometry numbers for my frame. effective STA is a bit less slack than advertised. But I credit that to my height at 6'7" raising the seat up and back.

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,910 Posts
I've read that the STA for these bikes is falsely advertised. Here is the Geometry numbers for my frame. effective STA is a bit less slack than advertised. But I credit that to my height at 6'7" raising the seat up and back.
That is pretty cool, I like how you did that.

I wouldn't say falsely advertised, just confusing, misleading. In the Geo numbers the Axle to Crown is shown for a fork with lesser travel than the OEM bike spec.

On our bikes it shows Fork length as 541 which basically refers to a 130mm fork, which is not even available as OEM an spec.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Here is the Megneg installation video
https://www.pinkbike.com/video/506261/

I have gone on one ride so far that was dusty rolling hills with a man made one mile long rock garden. Rocky Ridge @ Santa Teresa County Park. 6-10" rocks everywhere with some big rock slabs here and there

I'm 210lb riding weight
250psi - 32% sag
Rebound is at 2 clicks from full open

The difference in feel is dramatic. Quite a lot more supple and easy to get moving. I can feel the increased support once I get very deep into the travel.

I found this review from The Loam Wolf to be very accurate!
https://theloamwolf.com/2019/08/18/reader-review-rock-shox-megneg-upgrade/

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,910 Posts
Here is the Megneg installation video
https://www.pinkbike.com/video/506261/

I have gone on one ride so far that was dusty rolling hills with a man made one mile long rock garden. Rocky Ridge @ Santa Teresa County Park. 6-10" rocks everywhere with some big rock slabs here and there

I'm 210lb riding weight
250psi - 32% sag
Rebound is at 2 clicks from full open

The difference in feel is dramatic. Quite a lot more supple and easy to get moving. I can feel the increased support once I get very deep into the travel.

I found this review from The Loam Wolf to be very accurate!
https://theloamwolf.com/2019/08/18/reader-review-rock-shox-megneg-upgrade/
Thanks for posting that, it is helpful to see. I am hoping to install mine this coming weekend.

Sounds just like what the TR29 needs for a #200+ rider.

How many spacer did you end up starting with?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've got 1 spacer in the megneg negative chamber and no tokens in the positive chamber.

I have swapped out the Bottle Cage for a Specialized Zee Cage II.
I installed the 150 travel Air Shaft adding 10mm of travel in front. The stem was lowered 10mm.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.