Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that I’m getting a new 29er and I’ve basically narrowed it down to these two bikes. Help me decide please and thank you!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Have you tried both? any feedback on what you like and don't like on both?

I have the process, and if i have to pick now between the two, i still pick process due to longer reach and steeper seat tube for better climbing position. Again, this is based on looking at geometry numbers as i haven't tested the stumpy. Also, Process frame just looks burlier and seems to be able to take more beating if you're also using it for bike park duty....just my 2 cents.

Anyway - love my process (2018 AL model, but basically the same as 2019 model).

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've ridden both of these bikes and several other comparable models. I now own the Kona 153 29. Like any other good bike advice, I'd say it depends on how and where you ride more than anything.

With that being said, I preferred the Kona because I like riding pretty chunky stuff and having the forgiveness for some poor choices. The Kona is all about fun. I do think that the Stumpy Evo was a better pedaling bike, but the Kona isn't bad at all. The Kona was a far more capable descender especially on the steeps. I do remember how light on it's feet the Stumpy felt...

My advice would be to ride them both if you can, preferably on similar terrain to where you plan to ride. If you want a really fun bike for gnarly terrain, I'd go Kona. If you want an efficient yet overly capable trail bike, I'd go Stumpy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’ve ridden them both. I didn’t get to ride the Kona on a trail but it was in a park with some small hills, logs, and obstacles to hit. I ended up with the new Stumpy, it just fit me better. But it’s not perfect either,I just need to add a volume spacer to the shock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the responses! So far I have ridden the stumpy but I plan to ride the process 153 soon. Most of my riding is intermediate downhill trail with 3-4 foot jumps and intermediate tech. Living in the PNW I have a lot of access to steeper tech as well so I’m starting to lean towards the process. I loved how playful the stumpy is tho

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well...that's one way to solve your uncertainty :D

Congrats on the new bike, and enjoy the ride :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts